2022 wrx

I bought a 2022 WRX. I was under the impression that their turbos still called for 5w30. I just did my first change at 3000 mi
With Mobil 1 5w30. I'm happy with that.

I bought a 2022 WRX. I was under the impression that their turbos still called for 5w30. I just did my first change at 3000 mi
With Mobil 1 5w30. I'm happy with that.

Local Subaru dealer used 5w30 Edge and a black Tokyo Roki filter for my sons first oil change on his 2022 WRX.

@ARCOgraphite , not to throw you under the bus, but you were also one of the ones saying Toyo Roki in some of the old threads that I posted. I still say some of the older Subaru filters were labeled as "Toyo" even though I found a pic of Subaru filter from 2008 mentioning Tokyo.

One Mazda aftermarket company showed a pic of one of theirs with the word covered up and it only showed Roki. I guess they didn't want to get involved in the confusion. :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I prefer being thrown under with a proper argument. I'm getting old and need to be hit on the head with a shovel now and then. I was, and I confessed to my error and confusion somewhere in this thread. Likely from my used Suzuki Aerio oil filters then and Roki, Co, listing Subaru as an OE supplier where they had been mainly Toyota stateside. The I found the old subaru tokyo's in the basement just last week and groaned, "Oh no!" I am RUINED! '

At least the issue is pretty much cleared up now - until next time :)

It is confusing as both company web page address are roki

Entertaining thread!

I used PPPP 10W-30 in my 2016 WRX.

Not a bad budget Walmart option.

These days, I’d probably go ESP or PPPP Euro L

M1 0W-40 is too high on SAPS IMHO

Here us a couple pics of the filter on my wife's brand new 2023 crosstrek premium 6mt built in Japan.
Sorry for the angle, hard to get in there between all the plumbing with a stupid phablet camera...

View attachment 115190

View attachment 115193
I'm gonna repost mine too
20220825_201326.jpg

20220825_201244.jpg
Bought these a month ago from Amazon.

Will be keeping an eye out to see if they just say Roki now but.. plan on having my car serviced in October so. The filters will likely be good. Maybe throw a Mazda N3R1-14-302 (Tokyo Roki) filter on it, maybe. I los my Fram Ultra so.. yeah why not.

The Mazda ones say Tokyo Roki as well, my research indicates the company is calling themselves both Roki and Filtech. Toyo of course makes tires as well.

Is it still luck-of-the-draw if you get a blue Fram or a black Roki?

I've had this on my car at some point as well (engine filter)

Screenshot_20220904-071258_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Bought these a month ago from Amazon.

Will be keeping an eye out to see if they just say Roki now but.

The Mazda ones say Tokyo Roki as well, my research indicates the company is calling themselves both Roki and Filtech. Toyo of course makes tires as well.

I've had this on my car at some point as well (engine filter)

View attachment 115486

Will be keeping an eye out to see if they just say Roki now but.
- They won't, in all the latest posts above "we" decided that Tokyo Roki is still and ever will be Tokyo Roki :)

-I think you will get the Fram unless the Subaru parts dept. have the Tokyo Roki's reserved for WRX/STI and new BRZ and those are part number ending in: ... AA170 I think. Check your Manual.

170 tokyo roki.jpg

my research indicates the company is calling themselves both Roki and Filtech. Toyo of course makes tires as well-
- Toyo Roki is now Roki and or Filtech Typically a Honda (Japan) factory installed filter

Last edited:
I have a 2016 WRX and I am happy with M1 0w30 and bosch oil filters. The 0 vis at flows good at startup and 30 vis hot is thick enough to protect but doesn't thin out as much as 20. I have had nearly zero oil consumption between 9k oci.. 85k miles so far and doing great. I don't race or even drive too fast, so your results may vary. I wonder if there were any actual changes between 2016 and more recent models with oil ports and passages, or if they just changed the specs from 5w30 to 0w20 for gas mileage requirements with no physical engine changes.

I have a 2016 WRX and I am happy with M1 0w30 and bosch oil filters. The 0 vis at flows good at startup and 30 vis hot is thick enough to protect but doesn't thin out as much as 20. I have had nearly zero oil consumption between 9k oci.. 85k miles so far and doing great. I don't race or even drive too fast, so your results may vary. I wonder if there were any actual changes between 2016 and more recent models with oil ports and passages, or if they just changed the specs from 5w30 to 0w20 for gas mileage requirements with no physical engine changes.
I'm thinking 0W-30 could really be great for an EJ.

I just topped off with M1 0W-30 ESP.. It is my understanding that Subaru has Toyota design influence from BRZ forward. (Behind the scenes, on many models, using Aisin parts as OE and not just on FRS/BRZ/86)

0W-30 AFE or ESP? Big difference between the two.

Also…unless you’re starting your engine well below 0°F, it won’t notice a bit of difference between a 0W and a 5W.

As for your question, it’s almost certainly the latter.

0W-30 AFE or ESP? Big difference between the two.

Also…unless you’re starting your engine well below 0°F, it won’t notice a bit of difference between a 0W and a 5W.

As for your question, it’s almost certainly the latter.
I just topped off with ESP today.

AFE didn't impress me even if there's nothing wrong with it. ESP is feeling good, if you subscribe to that...

My latest oil purchase was M1 0W-30 ESP and I'm loving it.

This is a standard for today's cars. I'm surprised that Subaru says to use 5W30 conventional rather than synthetic, does any one know why?
With the intention someone would not run conventional oil the full duration of the oil change and it would be changed out sooner.

It appears the vehicle is specced for 0w20 in all weather the question was asked what’s the best 0w20 synthetic he wasn’t asking for suggestions on using a viscosity not recommended by Subaru.

Back