2022 Volkswagen Taos SE, FWD - 3,000 mile review

That looks like a miniature version of my 2021 Atlas, including the interior and dash.

That looks like a miniature version of my 2021 Atlas, including the interior and dash.
Thats the first thing I thought when I first saw a Taos. I have a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport with the 3.6 in it. Wonder if they could shoehorn the 3.6 in a Taos? 🤣

Thats the first thing I thought when I first saw a Taos. I have a 2020 Atlas Cross Sport with the 3.6 in it. Wonder if they could shoehorn the 3.6 in a Taos? 🤣
Probably but between the two I'd rather have the 2.0T, the 3.6 doesn't make sense in a vehicle like the Taos. Too thirsty, no real benefits since the Taos isn't "rated" to tow at all (despite the Skoda Karoq and Seat Ateca being rated to tow fairly decent amounts in Europe, VW doesn't even give it the usual 1000-1500lb rating here.

Probably but between the two I'd rather have the 2.0T, the 3.6 doesn't make sense in a vehicle like the Taos. Too thirsty, no real benefits since the Taos isn't "rated" to tow at all (despite the Skoda Karoq and Seat Ateca being rated to tow fairly decent amounts in Europe, VW doesn't even give it the usual 1000-1500lb rating here.

Because they want to sell you an Atlas to tow. 😜

Hey, as long as the timing belts are at the front of the engines, I am kinda okay with it. Pulling the motor to unf*** a VR6 is no fun at all. The VR6 still used in the Atlas, along with ... cast iron lower A arms in front suspension just like a 90's Lada Niva, amazing.

On VW Vortex there are multiple reports of very high mileage 1.4s on the original belt (one is at 305k). I'd expect the same from the 1.5. The belt is apparently just not an issue, at least on these.

The humor of press releases… VTG, or variable nozzle turbos… not new. My mk4 Golf TDI had one. Porsche and Chrysler used one on their gas engines also

A Taos in white has shown up in my lot at work. Sharp looking and a bit bigger in person than I expected. Seems a wee bit longer than the first gen Tiguan.

The humor of press releases… VTG, or variable nozzle turbos… not new. My mk4 Golf TDI had one. Porsche and Chrysler used one on their gas engines also
They're new for high volume production gasoline engines, the few previous uses were pretty niche or expensive.

Hey, as long as the timing belts are at the front of the engines, I am kinda okay with it. Pulling the motor to unf*** a VR6 is no fun at all. The VR6 still used in the Atlas, along with ... cast iron lower A arms in front suspension just like a 90's Lada Niva, amazing.
4 pot timing belts are on passenger side of engines.

Color is great, COV, the best thing since sliced bread IMHO. Resale down the road may be an issue, my son owns his own used dealership, and color makes a BIG difference. I don't care but some buyers used will, Congratulations, !!

Since you are well read (this is the only forum I am on)
What is the mpg on these- real numbers?
How is the band doing KC?
I'm not sure. The 1.5 is supposed to be even more efficient than the 1.4, but being a SUV mileage will certainly drop. It will be excellent for class no doubt.

No sunshine today, cloudy out. 😜

The new Alfa Romeo Tonale compact SUV will be offered as a hybrid, just your style!

The Taos FWD uses a 8 speed auto like my Jetta IIRC. The AWD gets a 7 speed DSG. Both straight gassers.

I had the 6 speed DSG in my Passat and it was simply phenomenal. The Taos uses the 7 speed and I have also heard they missed it on the intervals, unusual for VW.

VWs front wheel drive is so good the need for AWD is somewhat mitigated for many owners. Depends on the application and intended use of course.

I had the 6 speed DSG in my Passat and it was simply phenomenal. The Taos uses the 7 speed and I have also heard they missed it on the intervals, unusual for VW.

VWs front wheel drive is so good the need for AWD is somewhat mitigated for many owners. Depends on the application and intended use of course.
We agree...keep it simple eh...
I have heard it can get over 35 mpg on the highway..the price is nice too.

We agree...keep it simple eh...
I have heard it can get over 35 mpg on the highway..the price is nice too.
I drove to North Carolina last weekend behind a uhaul trailer, around 70mph with periods of higher speed 80ish, and averaged 36mpg with the AC on, I can say I'm quite happy with that. The periods of higher speed kinda ruined it, for a while after refueling and 70mph I saw an average of 41-42mpg for a time. Oh and this was also fully loaded down probably to payload capacity, I was very impressed.

Last edited:
Back