2022 Tacoma 3.5L oil recommendations

Just bought a new Toyota Tacoma DCLB with the 3.5L engine and 6EAT. Appears 0W-20 is recommended from the factory. Any recommendations for oil in this mill?

How is it going to be used?
Stock daily driver, or a mallcrawler with a ton of overlanding gear to haul around? Cruising around town or blasting down the highway with a heavy trailer?
Usage and climate determine the oil grade. And on page 545/546 of your owner's manual you'll see the following:
"SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather...An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."
If you're keeping the vehicle for the length of the warranty period - any major 0W-20 will do fine. If you intend to keep the vehicle for the long haul (past the warranty period) - it is a good idea to step it up to 0W-30/5W-30 or even 0W-40/5W-40. Doing so early on will prevent potential wear-related oil consumption issues at higher mileage, won't noticeably lower your MPG, and will provide a quieter operating engine.
In the "Owner’s Manual Supplement/Scheduled Maintenance Guide" you can also see what is defined as severe service, and if your usage matches - then Oil&Filter change is recommended every 5000 miles or 6 months, per Toyota. Many stick to this schedule for peace of mind, regardless of usage patterns.
For now I'd use up what oil you have, and then adjust your oil choice based on intended vehicle usage, climate conditions, and availability.

Last edited:
Just bought a new Toyota Tacoma DCLB with the 3.5L engine and 6EAT. Appears 0W-20 is recommended from the factory. Any recommendations for oil in this mill?
Any oil that meets the needs as specified in your manual to keep the warranty valid. This is not the time to deviate with some advice from an "expert".

It's interesting what Toyota recommends in 2022 for this engine family outside of North America. CAFE? nah... can't be... engineers made "tighter clearances and tolerances" specifically for 0W-20... right?..
Screenshot (33).png

Last edited:
I would run any major's 5W-30, even the Kirkland or NAPA store brands. My favorites being QSFS and Kirkland at the moment.

Stock daily driver, or a mallcrawler with a ton of overlanding gear to haul around? Cruising around town or blasting down the highway with a heavy trailer?
Usage and climate determine the oil grade. And on page 545/546 of your owner's manual you'll see the following:
"SAE 0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather...An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load conditions."
If you're keeping the vehicle for the length of the warranty period - any major 0W-20 will do fine. If you intend to keep the vehicle for the long haul (past the warranty period) - it is a good idea to step it up to 0W-30/5W-30 or even 0W-40/5W-40. Doing so early on will prevent potential wear-related oil consumption issues at higher mileage, won't noticeably lower your MPG, and will provide a quieter operating engine.
In the "Owner’s Manual Supplement/Scheduled Maintenance Guide" you can also see what is defined as severe service, and if your usage matches - then Oil&Filter change is recommended every 5000 miles or 6 months, per Toyota. Many stick to this schedule for peace of mind, regardless of usage patterns.
For now I'd use up what oil you have, and then adjust your oil choice based on intended vehicle usage, climate conditions, and availability.

Mostly driven highway miles for work in a four state territory. I do carry some demo gear, but it's at most 200 lbs or so. May have the occasional camping trips and light towing, but nothing crazy.

Mostly driven highway miles for work in a four state territory. I do carry some demo gear, but it's at most 200 lbs or so. May have the occasional camping trips and light towing, but nothing crazy.
In that case bold sections of my earlier post may be more applicable at this time.

Back