2022 Mazda Miata / MX-5 factory fill 0w-20, 2,873 miles.

The utility of sampling the factory fill is debatable but I could not wait to get a peak, I have a short commute and I was concerned about water and fuel in this direct injection motor.

The sample pull was a disaster I knocked over the first sample and had to catch the last drips from the pan and I only got half a bottle, I contacted blackstone and asked if they could get it done with that amount and they said to send it in.

I drained the oil filter and filtered that oil through paper and it contained a small ammount of very fine glitter barely visible in the sun estimated in the .001" range,

I am surprised to see aluminum as "normal", I will take this as a good sign here.

New rings, new valve train, I assume those are the primary sources of the elevated iron, one top of the heard is a brass / copper pipe that I assume carries oil one possible source of the elevated copper, could also be new sealants.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• oilReport.jpg
    oilReport.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 289
  • copperpipe.jpeg
    copperpipe.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 284
For almost 3k miles the metals are kinda low so it looks good. Seems to be a future low wearing engine given the start.

I was concerned about water and fuel in this direct injection motor.
Blackstone infers fuel% by flashpoint, which is not as accurate as gas chromatography (GC). From the reports we've seen on here where the sample was sent to both BS and a lab that uses GC, BS's fuel% figures are typically 2-3% lower. So factor that in, and consider another lab if accurate fuel% is important to you. On the other hand, BS has universal averages, which I personally find very useful. You can see how your results compare to the average results of the same engine in their database. For example, maybe in your vehicle's engine, one particular metal is naturally higher than in most cars. Another lab might flag it as a problem, but in reality it's normal for your engine.

Looks to be an excellent report for the break in.
That’s an ass ton of Cooper in there, in my opinion.

I’m shocked to see that cooper pipe being so close to the camshaft. 😳😬🫣

Manufacturers sure do make interesting design decisions. 🤨🤦🏻‍♂️

That’s an *** ton of Cooper in there, in my opinion.

I actually don’t know what that is.

That’s an *** ton of Cooper in there, in my opinion.

The proximity is an illusion, 2d flattening in a photo, I also see it in the photo, but in person where you get some depth there is plenty of clearance, the MX-5 motor is mostly based on the standard Mazda 2.0L skyactive, teardown here shows a better view, some changes to the crank head and cams for higher RPM (7,200) and about 30 HP

Looks to me like the pipes carry oil to the CAM journals. but I could be mistaken. there is also an oil to coolant heat exchanger in the system, material unknown but copper, or copper alloy like brass is a possibility.

Copper is not a metal I have ever had come up in a UOA, I assumed it was leaching from one of the new parts, any reason I should be concerned?

Edit, speculation here that these tube may in fact spray the cam lobes, https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...kyactiv-oil-control-valve-oil-seepage.316622/

Last edited:
@RavenTai — maybe mine is aged and discolored or it’s a different alloy all together but I definitely don’t remember seeing any tubes looking down into the filler hole on my 2014 Mazda 3’s 2.0L Skyactiv. Must be a new design for the updated engines.

Attachments

• D7CE52EB-0153-465F-8D11-61D2252F6F1C.jpeg
    D7CE52EB-0153-465F-8D11-61D2252F6F1C.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 39
Copper is not a metal I have ever had come up in a UOA, I assumed it was leaching from one of the new parts, any reason I should be concerned?

Copper usually comes from an oil cooler. You will see high numbers right off the bat but they will trend down to nothing in succeeding UOAs, much like silicon.

Iron is normal from the piston rings seating in to the cylinders. That copper can come from oil cooler but still think you should document the issue with Mazda service of your concerns.

I would sample it again with your new oil and take a look at the copper then, especially given that this sample was 'a disaster' as you put it. Might as well give it a little time to see what shakes out. If the copper is still high, then maybe look into it.

I don't know what good documenting it with Mazda would do, or even how you would do it. The dealer isn't going to care. Is the engine running normally? Is there a trouble code? No? Then it's fine. It is super unlikely that the motor is going to fail, especially through the warranty period. If you did happen to get a bum motor then it is going to probably show up over the next few OCI's if you continue to do UOA's.

Is the engine running normally?
Runs great,

Pulls strong and winds freely to 7k+, no unusual noise, my average fuel mileage is crap due to city driving, 25 to 30 MPG dependly on right foot weight, I have not run a full highway tank yet but on the occasions that I do get steady cruise on the highway the dash indicated milage (optimistic) is excellent.

Here is another thread with a UOA showing copper. I believe it’s normal and no need to worry

Here is another thread with a UOA showing copper. I believe it’s normal and no need to worry

Good find! 2019 was the first year of the ND2 that included an engine re- design, so it would have the same engine as my 22. Assuming these two motors are following the same trajectory copper should move down over the next 10K miles.

At 25k vehicle miles on my MX-5, the Cu was 15ppm after 10k miles on the oil.
I'd say ignore it for now, and see what happens down the road. Too early to panic by any means.

Back