2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata - Mobil 1 EP 0w20 - 5k OCI/9 Months

This is the third oil change on this vehicle. M1 108a was the filter removed.

Oil was initially changed at 3k (PP), and then 7k (M1 0w20EP).

Due to COVID, my driving has been way down. Normally driving around LA is mostly city driving, however some of the average mileage was more highway. This OCI included 2 trips to las vegas in 105+ degree temps, for at least 1000 miles.

I think there is some fuel but I changed this oil from a cold engine which I started to drive up the ramps. However, one of those vegas trips was just prior to this change.

Not really fond of the viscosity drop, but I suppose it doesn't look too bad but could be better. M1 ESP 5w30 and Mazda OEM filter went in. I will resample after 5-6k. Any feedback or comparison points would be great. Thanks.

MX5-redacted-102020.png

Last edited:
One thing not mentioned in the report, after about 4k I added the rest of the the 5 qt jug (.6~ qt) since I was going on a trip and the oil was at the half way mark. Not sure that if that makes any measurable difference.

1 other thing, I sent this to the Portland lab and I was suprised by the customer service based on what I read. I put the container in a large bubble mailer. Very happy with them.

Last edited:
If it was Blackstone, they would say try 6500 next. lol

lol "Your engine looks wonderful with a tbn of 1. Try 6,439 miles next time! Super duper car!" Meanwhile fuel is like 5%.

Last edited:
Does the TBN of 4.3 indicate anything? I've read this doesn't drop linearly but I'm curious how much longer I could've ran this oil considering its "rated" up to 15k.

Divide whatever marketing says by 2 +/- %5

Edit:
Forgot to mention not to exceed 8K even with best oil.

Last edited:
Back