2022 Mazda CX-9 - High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20 - 4,897 Miles

A friend bought a new CX-9 last year. He decided the sample the OEM fill and it had 4.6% fuel dilution at just 211 miles. He put in High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20 to run for close to 5k miles. The fuel dilution has come way down so hopefully that's clearing up.

The HPL PCMO 10W-20 held it's viscosity well. The 27 abs/cm oxidation is from ester. The TBN, despite 5k miles and 2.9% fuel, is still very strong. Enjoy.
William Stox Mazda CX-9 HPL PCMO 10W-20 - redacted.jpg

A friend bought a new CX-9 last year.
The Mazda CX-9 is a very nice vehicle, and it was my other choice if I couldn't make a deal on the Durango I currently have. What I like about the Durango is the engine+transmissiona and AWD layout. It's old school. The CX-9 is more high-tech and has an excellent Turbo Charged engine.

He decided the sample the OEM fill and it had 4.6% fuel dilution at just 211 miles.
That's likely from the vehicle being moved around at the factory, dealer lot, etc. They never warm them up. They turn on, move the vehicle, and turn it back off. Fuel adds up quickly, especially in an engine like that.

He put in High Performance Lubricants PCMO 10W-20 to run for close to 5k miles. The fuel dilution has come way down so hopefully that's clearing up.
The HPL 10W-20 is a high-quality mono-grade that has no VII in it. It can withstand fuel dilution without much of a problem, way better than off-the-shelf oils.

I think running higher octane gasoline would go a long way in decreasing fuel dilution, but that may not be a feasible option.

The 27 abs/cm oxidation is from ester. The TBN, despite 5k miles and 2.9% fuel, is still very strong. Enjoy.
I've seen this repeatedly where labs don't or can't detect esters accurately and confuse the oxygen molecules for oxidation. Red Line is like 90 out of the bottle and stays like that. The TBN, despite the fuel dilution, is truly amazing. I've seen this repeatedly where labs don't or can't detect esters accurately and confuse the oxygen molecules for oxidation.

Why use 20 grade in a CX-9? It has the 2.5 Turbo engine that Mazda says to use 5W-30.

Why use 20 grade in a CX-9? It has the 2.5 Turbo engine that Mazda says to use 5W-30.
That's not an ordinary 20 grade. Look at how well it deals with fuel dilution. I bet it stands up well to heat, another issue with Turbo Charged engines.

The base oil in the 10W-20 is actually more viscous than the base oils in many 5W-30 oils. It's a straight 8 cSt base oil with no VII where many 5W-30 oils are blends of 4 and 6 cSt base oil with 4-8% VII.

The HTFS is really good.

Last edited:
The base oil in the 10W-20 is actually more viscous than the base oils in many 5W-30 oils. It's a straight 8 cSt base oil with no VII where many 5W-30 oils are blends of 4 and 6 cSt base oil with 4-8% VII.

The HTFS is really good.
Thats great, but I my thick skull is still having a hard time comprehending why that is better for a turbo engine that specs 30 grade.

Especially if they are buying hpl anyway, so why not buy the 10w30 or 5w30?

Back