2022 Honda CRV. Turbo 1.5 vs. 2.0/Hybrid

The ECVT may have a better feel than a CVT. ECVT's don't have a belt and pulleys which can make for the dreaded rubberband affect.

BTW, it's intellectually lame, socially irresponsible and just plain lazy to call out "California" every time you hear something that you don't agree with. Is Ohio the paragon of reasonability and judgement?

I was calling out their high cost of living... not sure where you are going with the rock throwing?
My house payment is under $500 what does that get you in California?

Still not sure why I need to make 80k to buy a new car? And why its cheaper than if I made less...
How does that make sense?

I guess you don't understand my signature
What signature?

Capture.JPG

I know @slacktide_bitog says the 1.5t is a bad motor, but ours has been excellent. Ours is in a 6spd manual civic. When I drive it, it does everything I want, and demonstrates plenty of low end torque. You can shift gears at any speed and there’s simply no penalty. When my son drives it, it stands up ready to rev and deliver, as smoothly as a snarling Swiss watch. He runs it hard and it simply does its thing.

oil dilution? Ours does do some. We use 5-30 instead of 5-20 and change it early.

i wouldn’t hesitate to own a crv with the 1.5t. I wish it was in our 2015 crv.

our 2015 has the 2.0 (I think) earth dreams engine. It does not dilute the oil, it doesn’t use any either. It just runs. No issues with it.

between the 2, they are both elegant, but I prefer the torque curve of the 1.5t. That said, I’d certainly lean towards shorter oci, and 1 step heavier oil.

I was calling out their high cost of living... not sure where you are going with the rock throwing?

California seems to be (unfairly) a poster child for those type of comments (and many more in this politically charged world we live in), because house pricing is relatively high in a thousand or more localities in the U.S. (Seen Austin, TX lately?) California is a state consisting of many, many communities, some with relatively high housing prices and many more with modest housing prices.

Your monthly payment depends on a lot of things including when you bought the house, it's size, the community in which it's located, etc, etc. I would bet that the equivalent to yours is or was available somewhere in that state, but probably not Mill Valley ;)
Still not sure why I need to make 80k to buy a new car? And why its cheaper than if I made less...

It's an issue of affordability. And prudence. You could buy a new car and make $20K/yr as long as you can get financing, but that monthly payment is a large chunk of take-home pay. Without going into some boring monologue, there's no "right" answer, it's unique to each individual's financial (and other) circumstances and their priorities. I believe that new cars are large luxury goods (vs used) and require a "higher" level of income to justify, all else being equal, that's all. Whether it is 80K or some other number is not the point. Again, YMMV

It's not "cheaper" (the price is the same) but it is more affordable the more you make.
What signature?
See username

I worked at a Honda dealer for the majority of calendar year 2021 and while I loved selling CRVs I would NEVER own one with the 1.5L TGDI engine. For me it's hybrid engine or consider a different vehicle. I worked in both the sales and service department at this dealership and the amount of complaining I've heard from angry customers in regards to the 1.5L engine alone have made me not want to buy it aside from the fact of the issues I've heard reported otherwise.

I think it would be okay if you were leasing the car with the intention of turning it in or trading it in, any plan that does not hinge on keeping a vehicle with that engine long term is a good one. That being said if you can get your hands on a hybrid jump on it, it is a very solid powertrain that is buttery smooth in operation.

What signature?

View attachment 81358
You don't see a signature on a cell unless you hit the desktop option.

so you need to make 80k+ to buy a new car? where do you live.. California I'd believe it.

Why are we giving this tax break to people who make more money?
IE giving the "rich" a tax break on their toys.. for example on the tesla model S when they had it.

Its also hugely valuable to be filing joint for this.

its exactly the opposite of what is needed.
For mainstream adoption..
You should get a flat 7500 rebate optionally that fades out the more you make IMO.
not a tax credit that gets bigger with bigger income... how does that make sense?

Could also do a limit per person vs a limit on the manufactuer amount sold before it fades out.

Edit: cleaned up some text.
Without getting political, I have to agree with this. I am against EV subsidies in general.
The same goes for the huge gasoline company subsidies. Heck, their profits are insane right now because we keep paying more and more.
They don't need the subsidies!

We bought our Tesla Model 3 in Dec 2018 partially due to the $7500 tax credit ending at the end of 2018. The decision was a bit of a lark; the tax credit was the kicker. And Tesla prices dropped by almost the same amount soon after the benefit ended!
If I had any brains in my head I woulda put that $$ into Tesla stock. I am still kicking myself.

Yup.... but if you are paying less than that, what are you doing buying a new car??
$7500 federal burden is hit fast by a single/no kids person. Or you have to make a bundle married with multiple kids. 3 kids? You need around $150k income to use the full credit.

There are many “guidelines” as to how much one should spend on a car but stretching for a Prime plug in even if you cant soak up 100% of the federal credit wouldnt be the end of the world. You would still have a nice phev that holds value and saves fuel.

I wish i could have the chance to buy one but Utah and vehicles in stock does not happen.

When a Rav4 Prime lands at a dealer here, they summon the hundreds of interested people and they fight to the death in the colosseum for the honor of buying it.

Why does the Dave Ramsey philosophy enter into soo many of these threads here on BITOG?
Same reason why Kirkland Signature oil gets asked about so much. I'd bet that those two circles overlap alot here.

As for OP, do the math...how much do they drive? Will the keep the car so long (12+ years) that replacing the high-voltage battery will be an issue? that will tell you if going hybrid is worth it from a purely $$$$ pov.

As for the 1.5L turbo, it is perfectly fine....I have more issues with the CVT. If given the choice ( for longevity's sake), give me a K24 engine and 6-speed. Yes, I'll pay buy more gas, but that combo (k24 + 6-speed) will still keep running for at least 300,000 miles...long enough to pay back for all the gas it burned, and then some.

I wouldn’t worry much about the 1.5t or CVT, there are plenty of variants throughout Honda’s line up with over 100k miles with no issues at all.

I would prefer the hybrid powertrain over the 1.5l but with the newer software improvements all but completely fixing the fuel dilution issues, the 1.5l turbo isn't bad with the CVT.

Back