2022 GR86, PP 5W-20, 4,899 OCI

3rd change here. Looks like it's still a tad high on Cu and Si, but trending in the right direction. We're in South FL, so no need for the recommended 0W-20. Refilled with the same PP 5W-20 and plan on sticking with it and 5K OCIs for a few changes, unless there's a compelling reason to switch it up.

For the history, 1st UOA is factory fill, 2nd is PP 5W-30, 3rd is PP 5W-20.

22 GR86-Dec 2023.jpg

Another data point confirming that PP 5W-30 does not meet minimum API requirements for anti-wear additives, specifically Phosphorus (min 600 ppm). Terrible oil. 5W-20 looks OK.

Another data point confirming that PP 5W-30 does not meet minimum API requirements for anti-wear additives, specifically Phosphorus (min 600 ppm). Terrible oil. 5W-20 looks OK.
Could be lab variance but yeah it shows up low here.

I think it's quite a stretch that it's a terrible oil.

Many people, including myself, have used this oil with solid results.

I think it's quite a stretch that it's a terrible oil.

Many people, including myself, have used this oil with solid results.
What do you consider solid results? Lack of catastrophic damage? Unless you've recently torn down and inspected the engine, it's hard to evaluate whether or not there's accelerated wear. It can take a long time to manifest itself.

Having recently replaced a wiped camshaft, I am no longer taking any chances with low ZDDP oils. PP 5W-30 is the worst offender as per the VOA database. How it retains its API seal is a mystery.

Ironically, as I'm typing this, the first suggested "similar thread" below is 2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later.

Using the P.P 5w-20 ( S.P. , GF-6A ) in the '18 Accent w/ the 1.6 Ltr. ( G.D.I.. ) and FRAM Titanium FS9688 w/ wire mesh media backing . 2,403 miles so far since mid October of '23 .

Cite specifics. Hyundais in fact are extremely well known to explode due to poor manufacturing.

Last edited:
How is this for specifics:
Requirements for API Service Category SN and API SN with Resource Conserving (www.api.org)
ASTM D4951, phosphorus, % mass, min: 0.06
Same minimum requirement applies to API SP

And yet, numerous oil analysis reports are finding P levels well below 600 ppm, including this one. 2 more reports here.
VOA database: Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 ... P 541ppm
Another report, same low P level in the HM flavor
Those reports are both from Blackstone, who have been known to show lower levels than other labs for the same oil, so I'd be careful inferring conclusions about concentrations from that data.

Pennzoil probably is using a concentration closer to the 600ppm limit, but it is safe to assume they are almost assuredly compliant.

Those reports are both from Blackstone, who have been known to show lower levels than other labs for the same oil, so I'd be careful inferring conclusions about concentrations from that data.

Pennzoil probably is using a concentration closer to the 600ppm limit, but it is safe to assume they are almost assuredly compliant.
I sent PPHM to both BS and OA and both of them came back <600ppm on phosphorus. 540 for BS, 583 for OA. Either way, Pennzoil is hugging the line.

I sent PPHM to both BS and OA and both of them came back <600ppm on phosphorus. 540 for BS, 583 for OA. Either way, Pennzoil is hugging the line.
Yes, I suspect they are around 600-620 nominal, likely within the margin of error for OAI. Blackstone being 43ppm lower than OAI doesn't surprise me.

What is the reason to spend the money on UOAs that honestly shows nothing of value .

Here's a video for V.O.A.s for 5w-20 oils . Includes CASTROL Edge .The PENNZOIL Platinum ( S.N. ? due to HIGH calcium ) should be 9.2 and the ULTRA 7.98 .

Back