2019 Hyundai Tucson 2.0 GDI, 5,750 OCI PP 5w-20. Engine failed 5k later.

This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai. I use to work at a hyundai dealership, but I was surprised to see this one fail at such a low mileage. Currently, the car has PP 5w-20. I am considering switching to either 5w-30 M1 EP or PP Euro L.

IMG_0585.jpeg

I dont want to talk smack about blackstone but
that oil is very thin.. and their fuel % is not to be trusted its inferred not directly tested.

I thought H/K had their engine issues resolved by 2019 but I guess not. I really liked our 2008 Elantra but I wouldn’t buy a new H/K vehicle now.
Elantra is available with a 2.0 NA port injected atkinson cycle engine
100k warranty protects from engine issues if you trade in before 10/100
main reason I felt ok with the "IVT (cvt)" on the 2020 elantra.

This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai. I use to work at a hyundai dealership, but I was surprised to see this one fail at such a low mileage. Currently, the car has PP 5w-20. I am considering switching to either 5w-30 M1 EP or PP Euro
Are you going to do one since you've had the block replaced? On those engines, 5w-30 all the way.

This is my uoa from earlier this year. About 5k miles after this the shortblock got replaced at hyundai. I use to work at a hyundai dealership, but I was surprised to see this one fail at such a low mileage. Currently, the car has PP 5w-20. I am considering switching to either 5w-30 M1 EP or PP Euro L.

View attachment 184183
Even with the fuel you can see that viscosity remained within grade. Oil grade won't fix poor engineering.

Even with the fuel you can see that viscosity remained within grade. Oil grade won't fix poor engineering.

Exactly my thoughts. You can also change the oil/fluid all you want, but if there is a flaw in the engine design or build, it's only a matter of time before failure.

I also don't think this can be used as a knock against Blackstone. Engines fail for any number of reasons, and not all of those produce wear metals that would flag Blackstone or any other UOAs.

Exactly my thoughts. You can also change the oil/fluid all you want, but if there is a flaw in the engine design or build, it's only a matter of time before failure.

I also don't think this can be used as a knock against Blackstone. Engines fail for any number of reasons, and not all of those produce wear metals that would flag Blackstone or any other UOAs.
Ya. IMO a UOA is more likely to provide a false negative rather than a false positive due to their inherent limitations

Just put in the P.P. 5w-20 ( S.P. , GF-6A ) along with a FRAM Titanium FS988 ( w/ wire mesh ) in the '18 Accent 1.6 Ltr. with G.D.I. . Since new it gets the smell of gas when checking oil level . The post by O.C. takes the edge off 😌 . Usually change oil and filter hovering around 5,000 miles .

Last edited:
Is it a T-GDI engine by any chance? What does Owners Manual say for recommended oil viscosity?
I thought it was a turbo'd engine, no? If that's the case, run xW-30 or xW-40 oil in it.

Not addressing the specifics of this engine failure, the Nu 2.0 GDi also had issues with engine failure. Not as common as the 2.4 or 2.0T Thetall, but still possible.

Viscosity may help with dilution but not build issues with some of these 2010-19 engines.

Last edited:
How did it fail?
I'm pretty sure it was the connecting rod bearings.
Not addressing the specifics of this engine failure, the Nu 2.0 GDi also had issues with engine failure. Not as common as the 2.4 or 2.0T Thetall, but still possible.

Viscosity may help with dilution but not build issues with some of these 2010-19 engines.
At the dealership, we had sooo many pallets of blown engines. Hopefully, Hyundai fixed their problems with the new smartstream engines. I no longer work for Hyundai so I am out of the loop.

Back