2019 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 Mobil 1 5w-30 EP 9,200 OCI

2019 Subaru Crosstrek with a 2.0 H4. Ran Mobil 1 5w-30 EP for 9,200 and sent out the sample. As you can see here, fuel dilution came back high so I went back to my 5-6k OCI after this report. Silicone also came back high and the only thing I can attribute this to is the Carquest air filter that I was forced to run at the time due to shortages.

I've since switched back to an OEM air filter and sent out an updated sample to Blackstone today. Once I receive it, I'll post it on here. Thanks.

Attachments

• P12527 (1).jpg
    P12527 (1).jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 416
Re: high silicon, make sure you have the airbox lid installed correctly. There are plastic tabs on the bottom side of the lid that slide into the bottom of the housing and it's a not unheard of mistake among Subaru owners to lay the lid on and clip the metal tabs and think that it's correct. Even my local Subaru dealership got it wrong on my WRX once.

Maybe the design of the airbox has been revised since but I doubt it.

2019 Subaru Crosstrek with a 2.0 H4. Ran Mobil 1 5w-30 EP for 9,200 and sent out the sample. As you can see here, fuel dilution came back high so I went back to my 5-6k OCI after this report. Silicone also came back high and the only thing I can attribute this to is the Carquest air filter that I was forced to run at the time due to shortages.

I've since switched back to an OEM air filter and sent out an updated sample to Blackstone today. Once I receive it, I'll post it on here. Thanks.
The report shows an EJ25 not an FB20 did these get mixed up? Next time try Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and change at 5K max.

The report shows an EJ25 not an FB20 did these get mixed up? Next time try Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 and change at 5K max.
Good catch, I definitely have a 2.0. After this OCI, I switched to Mobil 1 5w-30 HM so the next report is going to show this oil. For some reason, my 2.0 used up a quart of EP during the OCI and not a drop when I switched to HM.

Are you sure you got that airbox closed properly? - they can be tricky. Clue: If your induction is noisy lt's likely the lowerairbox tabs are not in the slots.

Hope the HM runs better. My Valvoline UOA report was as good as you can get at 9K miles.

And my ending KV100 was same (8.1cSt) as you 30 grade and the flash point 100 deg higher - and I ran a 0w20.
But that was on a 2017 P.I. motor.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Are you sure you got that airbox closed properly? - they can be tricky. Pne clue If your induction is noisy the lower tabs are not in the slots.

Hope the HM runs better. My Valvoline UOA report was as good as you can get at 9K miles.

And my ending KV100 was same (8.1cSt) as you 30 grade and the flash point 100 deg higher - and I ran a 0w20.
But that was on a 2017 P.I. motor.

Good Luck.
Yes the airbox was closed properly, first thing I noticed were those tabs which is why I'm suspecting the air filter.

I honestly wonder what would have happened if I ran a 0w-20 instead of the 5w-30. I'm in South Florida so cold starts are a non issue for me so I run 5w-30 in everything.

Yes the airbox was closed properly, first thing I noticed were those tabs which is why I'm suspecting the air filter.

I honestly wonder what would have happened if I ran a 0w-20 instead of the 5w-30. I'm in South Florida so cold starts are a non issue for me so I run 5w-30 in everything.
Safer with the 5W30

10w30 may be even better! QSFS 10W30 is Excellent in D.I. I ran it in my Ford D.I. 2 liter. in my sig.

Despite the high silicon, high fuel, and low viscosity, your wear levels are excellent. On a PPM per 1000 mi basis, they all look better than Universal Averages.

Despite all of that, he also has 4,000 miles more on the oil than universal average. Not a bad run, all thinks considered. Seems like a healthy engine to me. 🤷🏻‍♂️

as noted wat TOO many miles on the oil UNLESS its almost ALL highway. modern DI can cause fuel in oil + a lot of soot as well like my girlfriends 18 Kia optima that is BLACK in 5 thou 6 month changes BUT used no oil

a 30 W is a good choice BUT your weather could use a 10W30 IMO + surely shorter changes for dirty DI engine. girlfriends 18 2.4 optimas oil is sooo black in 6 mo + usually under the 5 thou recommended + it gets QS full fake syn 10-30

a 30 W is a good choice BUT your weather could use a 10W30 IMO + surely shorter changes for dirty DI engine. girlfriends 18 2.4 optimas oil is sooo black in 6 mo + usually under the 5 thou recommended + it gets QS full fake syn 10-30
Im running an M1 10w-30 OCI now so we'll see how the next UOA goes. What gets me is how the Subaru 2.0 shears oil. No fuel in this one and it still sheared.

Im running an M1 10w-30 OCI now so we'll see how the next UOA goes. What gets me is how the Subaru 2.0 shears oil. No fuel in this one and it still sheared.
Sorry, but you cannot tell whether or not the engine sheared the oil with these results since fuel hasn’t actually been tested. See comment #14 from @SubieRubyRoo.

Have a look at this one. He also thought the oil was shearing but it was fuel dilution.

Post in thread '21 Subaru Ascent - M1 EP 0w20'
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/21-subaru-ascent-m1-ep-0w20.348912/post-6315575

Last edited:
Blackstone is terribly inaccurate when it comes to fuel dilution. 2-3 times low. That's why I switched to OAI after 10+ years with Blackstone. I own a '22 Crosstrek and they are known for high fuel dilution so I wanted a lab that provides accurate fuel dilution numbers. I'm seeing 3.1% fuel dilution at only 3000 mi, so I am doing 3k OCIs just to err on the safe side. Oil is cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Back