2022 Crosstrek Drain Plug Crush Washer Replacement

On ACCENT . You can see a two-tone as if different metals ( see pics above ) . One side is shiny ( rounded edge ) and the other duller ( not rounded , all flat ) , see pics above . Could it be ALUMINUM for the flat side that meets the base of the drain hole when installed for a better seal ?

View attachment 128370
It’s “two tone” as a result of it being punched during the manufacturing process. With Hyundai and Kia’s there is no “correct” side to install the washer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I did the oil change on my Crosstrek today, it's at the 6 months since I bought the car, only 2900 miles on the vehicle and factory fill oil.

I bought the crush washer to replace the one on the drain plug, not certain how to get the original one off the drain plug, so I examined the plug, looked fine, and reinstalled the plug without changing the washer, torqueing to the right spec, checked for leaks (non were present) after completing the oil change.

When I bought the washer at the dealer, they said you could change it out every other oil service.

Do you need a special tool to remove the crush washer? One side of the washer is round, the other side flat, so I am thinking the round sound installs towards the bolt head with the flat side going up against the oil pan.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

RevRider
I have an '86 Honda that still has the original drain plug washer stuck on the drain plug. Thought several times to
get a new drain plug, but usually when I don't have time, or other reasons for ignoring this chore.

My 2¢

I have an '86 Honda that still has the original drain plug washer stuck on the drain plug. Thought several times to
get a new drain plug, but usually when I don't have time, or other reasons for ignoring this chore.

My 2¢

Must be nice . :)

If I spend the money on the correct specification oil and use the OEM or well-known oil filter, I will always fit a new sump plug washer.

If one skimps on a washer during maintenance what else does one fail to do, a slippery slope indeed.

Was It Honda that had layered DP washers that had blue cardboard on one side and aluminum on the other? I just remembered that freakazoid. Maybe it was Suzuki my wife used to drive them buggies in the 90's.

Back