New car oil pan crush washer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just gave my 2012 KIA its first oil change. When I removed the drain plug there wasn't a crush washer on it. I had to get a flashlight to get a better look at the drain pan. The crush washer was painted on. The only part that was plain metal was where it had been in contact with the plug. I gave it a slight tap with a screwdriver and hammer and it came right off. Something to watch for on new cars.

Was it copper or aluminum? I know Nissan uses copper and when crushed, it is mechanically locked to the plug and requires a little bit of time to remove.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I hope you replaced it if it was a real crush washer. I like the Oil-Tite brand which is metal with a rubber inside.

When I bought the car they gave me a "free" oil filter with a crush washer.

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Was it copper or aluminum? I know Nissan uses copper and when crushed, it is mechanically locked to the plug and requires a little bit of time to remove.

Aluminum.

Originally Posted By: kender
Originally Posted By: dubie2003

Aluminum.

My Hyundai uses an aluminum crush washer as well. If you buy the OEM Hyundai (or KIA) oil filter it is included. I simply went to the Hyundai dealer and bought 10 of the crush washers for $5.00 and change them as needed. They typically last 3 OCs before requiring replacement (yes, I know they are supposed to be changed every time, but it is a waste and I have yet to have a leak).

I replace the crush washer with an OEM one every time I remove a Nissan drain plug, whether it's an engine oil or transmission pan drain plug. The small amount I spend for a 10-pack of crush washers is worth knowing there won't be a random annoying leak or drip down the road somewhere. I recycle the old washer.

Originally Posted By: Grant11
Why would you want a crush washer? Aren't they just more unnecessary stuff to replace every dang time you do an oil change?

I cannot speak for others, but without a crush washer, my Hyundais would leak, but they do not have to be changed each time (they are solid aluminum--not much to "crush").

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Why would you want a crush washer? Aren't they just more unnecessary stuff to replace every dang time you do an oil change?

I cannot speak for others, but without a crush washer, my Hyundais would leak, but they do not have to be changed each time (they are solid aluminum--not much to "crush").

So it's a slightly more malleable regular washer?

Try a fumoto valve that way you never remove the drain plug just open and close and it's drained. I am in the market for one now for my nissan.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Try a fumoto valve that way you never remove the drain plug just open and close and it's drained. I am in the market for one now for my nissan.

I think these are great on a street car, but I would worry about sagging it on something on my FX4 and creating a catastrophe in short order.

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4

So it's a slightly more malleable regular washer?

Yes; it is fairly soft aluminum.

Because the crush washer is what allows the oil pan threads and drain pan bolt to last without the risk of some "genius" over tightening to stop a leak. LOL

There is a REASON why an engineer designs such things you know.

I bought a handful of them. If you don't hulk down on the bolt usually the crush washer, nylon gasket, rubber washer thingy, whatever, lasts a long time.

But eventually (10+ OCI's) it can start dribbling a little and then its time to chuck it.

I know copper crush washers some guys heat up nice and toasty and then cool off. It softens them up from being work hardened every time you tighten them and they're good a few more times after that.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d

I just did my first oc with one installed at the previous change.Now I want to put the on all of the family cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back