2021 VW Golf GTI. API SP oil for Arizona?

Hello! Been awhile since I posted. Sold my C5 'vette to my neighbor and picked up a brand new tornado red VW GTI SE manual with those sweet 18 inch black wheels. Oil temps regularly around 220 degrees, +/- 5 degrees. Engine in vehicle is 2.0 TSI, and owner's manual basically states to use 0w-20 for better gas mileage. I wanna bump that up to 5w-30 or even 0w-40. Any recommendations in API SP flavor? I plan on draining the break-in oil at 1000 miles
Owner's manual says to use 508.00 compliant oil, which is 0w20 oil.

5w30 will have plenty of API SP oils, that the forum likes.

0w40 will bump you up in the 3.5 min HTHS category, but no API SP certification.

VW 504/507 will also bump you into the 3.5 min HTHS category as well, but it's not going to have API SP certification.

As long as you're fine with the similar to 508.00 HTHS, then the popular API SP oil brands will be fine.

Last edited:
I am quite puzzled why some of you are giving advise to OP to go with higher grades or viscosity.
According to Infineum, today's lower viscosity oils such as 0W-20 508 are based on high quality base oils where final blend requires very low percentage content of VII known as viscosity modifiers which are less shear stable than base oil itself.
I'd say to OP, go with what's recommended and you'll be in good hands.

I looked at 0W-20 Ravenol VSE I mentioned above,
This oil has VI 182 which is higher than majority of 5W-30 oils.
The content of VII is only 1.4% compare to many 5w-30 oils which have 3.7%-7.1% content of VII.
This alone tells you that Ravenol needs less VII to bring it to final grade because it contains high quality base oil and therefore more shear stable.
So why doesn't vw or audi spec the golf r, s3, or tts with 0w20 oil? The gti was specced with vw 502/505 oil prior to 2019. I know this because my Gti Rabbit edition had a 0w20 label under the hood. I asked the vw service why and they didn't even know it changed away from 502/505. So why would a motor go from needing a 3.5 hths and then all of a sudden 2.9? My guess is because vw was ok with the increased wear while improving fleet fuel economy.

Here's great read about advancement in fuels and lubricants.
Lot of info about base oil, VII, VM's and extensive testing and data on low viscosity oils.
LINK

If dumping VW 508 IMO the obvious choice is VW 504, which has already been mentioned. Most commonly available as Mobil 1 ESP or in quarts from your dealer as Genuine VW/Audi 0w30.

The VW 508 does have a tracer dye in it so dealers can easily determine if something else is in there. I presume VW did this knowing so many people would not like a 0w20 in a VW (the idea is hard for me to swallow as well).

VW508 if you want to run 0w20 and go to the exacting thing warranty says.

me I rather a VW504 oil. Some VW502 are just fine some have higher saps so the potential to have higher intake valve deposits are there

obviously the “thicker “ the oil the better chance at higher HTHS

Hello! Been awhile since I posted. Sold my C5 'vette to my neighbor and picked up a brand new tornado red VW GTI SE manual with those sweet 18 inch black wheels. Oil temps regularly around 220 degrees, +/- 5 degrees. Engine in vehicle is 2.0 TSI, and owner's manual basically states to use 0w-20 for better gas mileage. I wanna bump that up to 5w-30 or even 0w-40. Any recommendations in API SP flavor? I plan on draining the break-in oil at 1000 miles
Forget SP or API in general.
Go VW 504.00/507.00 if staying with W30 or VW511.00 if going W40.
VW511.00: Mobil1 ESP 0W40 X3, Motul X-Clean 5W40 GEN2.
VW504.00/507.00: Mobil1 ESP 0W30 or ESP 5W30.

If dumping VW 508 IMO the obvious choice is VW 504, which has already been mentioned. Most commonly available as Mobil 1 ESP or in quarts from your dealer as Genuine VW/Audi 0w30.

The VW 508 does have a tracer dye in it so dealers can easily determine if something else is in there. I presume VW did this knowing so many people would not like a 0w20 in a VW (the idea is hard for me to swallow as well).
Guys, VW has new specification for W40 oils that is basically VW504.00/507.00 just heavier, and that is VW511.00

VW508 if you want to run 0w20 and go to the exacting thing warranty says.

me I rather a VW504 oil. Some VW502 are just fine some have higher saps so the potential to have higher intake valve deposits are there

obviously the “thicker “ the oil the better chance at higher HTHS
But it's not what the warranty says. VAG tries their best to scare you into thinking that but it is only because of their CAFE agreement. All automakers do this to one degree or another (as they must do) but nowhere does it state that using an oil other than 508 00 voids the new-car warranty. Besides, any dispute over a warranty claim is predicated on the oil causing the claim and that will not happen if you use a 504 00 oil.

When I had the Tiguan's oil changed at my local VW dealership at 10,000 miles I requested 504 00 oil and that's what they put in. They didn't even ask why.

This is just about the least expensive 504 00 I've found:

This is how it's worded...

• Use only an engine oil that expressly complies with the Volkswagen oil quality standard specified for your vehicle's engine. Using any other oil can cause serious engine damage that will not be covered by any Volkswagen Limited Warranty.

Seems pretty clear to me, user beware. Of course the likelihood of an oil related issue is nearly nil.

Wemay's got the new ride in the avatar. :)

• Use only an engine oil that expressly complies with the Volkswagen oil quality standard specified for your vehicle's engine. Using any other oil can cause serious engine damage that will not be covered by any Volkswagen Limited Warranty.
Unless our mechanics put bulk 5W40, which what most VW dealerships do. Or if sticker under the hood says differently than manual, in that case, see you in court in some 10 years, which is per our usual policy since 1997.

He got in even bigger trouble. He owns vehciles from company that still does not know there is no such thing as "ACEA A5 or better."
The OM is much better.
"Use the most current ILSAC/API specification in the viscosity recommended"

Yep if it causes damage which a 504 00 oil won’t cause.

If they really meant it they'd say "the use of any oil other than one with VW 508 00 approval will violate the new car warranty." The warning you've quoted is predicated on "serious engine damage" which isn't going to happen due to the use of a 504 00 oil.

Yep if it causes damage which a 504 00 oil won’t cause.

If they really meant it they'd say "the use of any oil other than one with VW 508 00 approval will violate the new car warranty." The warning you've quoted is predicated on "serious engine damage" which isn't going to happen due to the use of a 504 00 oil.
I agree that 504 won't but an unscrupulous dealership may gain an out by using it as an excuse. Highly doubtful but not impossible.

I agree that 504 won't but an unscrupulous dealership may gain an out by using it as an excuse. Highly doubtful but not impossible.
Than you hire ambulance chaser who will determine that dealership itself is not using appropriate oil.
I had issue on BMW X5 that could be caused by oil (SCR system). Service advisor asked me: who is doing oil changes? me. How often? Every 5k. What oil? Mobil1 ESP 5W30 LL04. Thank you very much, will be covered. No receipts, no oil testing. If dealership wants to go and check oil, they are not only ones hiring lawyers, and with VW's confusing oil recommendations, their own violation of their own recommendations, there is a lot there that could go wrong for them.

Back