2021 Volkswagen Jetta premature brake wear

I don't care for alternate methods since I have a scan tool, and its too much work to take the e-brake motor apart, retract it, and put it back together.

Concerning what parts someone needs is up to them. I have no need for pathetic OE parts, ATE, or Zimmerman since I don't practice brand fanboism or auto parts nationalism.

Add Carbotech, which also their full range of choices with the 1521(Bobcats) being a great street choice. And, surprised NRS isn't mentioned often with their pretty galvanized backing and NRS bonding.

I wonder if VW uses the same pad in the Tiguan. Being that its an SUV, maybe its pad material is different for the heavier vehicle. The 1761 size is also used in some years of the S3, Golf, and A3 too. I doubt that they'd use the same pathetic pad material everywhere since different vehicles were manufactured in different countries.

I agree with changing the pads yourself and going with reputable aftermarket like ATE. Even if the dealer did good will it, you will be back in the same situation soon anyways, as I doubt even the revised pads are much better. Jettas especially have been know for this for decades now.

I agree with changing the pads yourself .... I doubt even the revised pads are much better. Jettas especially have been know for this for decades now.
And Nissan Rogue and Subaru Impreza and Honda Civic according to my brother in Cali, his daughters new civic ate the rears in 17K miles about 6 years ago. That was the first I heard of the issue in general.

I think I recall my Jetta having bigger rear pads than the Asian counterparts. I was worried about the thing eating the cheap Falken tires at the speed of light. I barely got by inspection at lease turn in time without needing tires - in only two years and I]

I suggested Zimmerman rotors earlier, make sure they are the Z-Coat ones (or whatever they call them). And too, I've always had a strong preference for either Pagid or Jurid pads on German cars.

A new set of Zimmerman rotors and the appropriate pad material Pagid or Jurid, and you'll be good.

Make sure you do your homework on pad material. Don't fall for the ceramic craze. A good set of semi-metallic pads can work well and not dust horribly. In my experience, semi metallic pads work better for daily driving because they have better initial bite than ceramics too. I know others might disagree, but my point is do your homework. Both Pagid and Jurid will most likely have more than one pad material choice for the Jetta.

You like your cars and take care of them. It'll be worth it.

Scott

unless you have been activating the AEB constantly/are a terrible driver lol then no dice.

I guess just a bad case of VW cutting costs by installing starter parts that are designed to wear out faster/require more service $$$$
Oddly enough, cheap pads are usually the ones that last the longest.

20-30K out of rear pads isn’t exactly abnormal depending on the materials used, performance and NVH characteristics. This is simply a situation where the wear characteristics do not meet the customer’s arbitrary standards.

I suggested Zimmerman rotors earlier, make sure they are the Z-Coat ones (or whatever they call them). And too, I've always had a strong preference for either Pagid or Jurid pads on German cars.

A new set of Zimmerman rotors and the appropriate pad material Pagid or Jurid, and you'll be good.

Make sure you do your homework on pad material. Don't fall for the ceramic craze. A good set of semi-metallic pads can work well and not dust horribly. In my experience, semi metallic pads work better for daily driving because they have better initial bite than ceramics too. I know others might disagree, but my point is do your homework. Both Pagid and Jurid will most likely have more than one pad material choice for the Jetta.

You like your cars and take care of them. It'll be worth it.

Scott
ATE and Textar are the one offering semi-metalic and cermic.
Pagid has fairly poor choices with FE ratings usually, while Jurid has more choices, but have not seen ceramic from them.
One thing I noticed with Jurid is lower dust levels compared to any other semi metallic pad from ATE, Textar or Pagid, and they do not wear as much. They are though bit softer than ATE on pedal, still nithing lime that Akebono junk.

The first 3 images are of the rear pads (3rd image shows odd feathering on the tops of the pads). 4th picture is of the fronts for reference. That dusty wheel is one of the rears, the fronts weren’t nearly as bad. I cleaned all 4 while they were off.
9BF605DF-1D22-47B3-943F-7FDF74BAEA8B.jpeg
63E35EE0-E1FC-44A5-BA2A-EB0D00D1D6ED.jpeg
013AAA20-220C-40D5-8909-667AC3FD53F2.jpeg
3767B26D-3FF2-4655-B22F-20F32DF174C8.jpeg
5D4349E3-1759-454C-AECD-41179FD3ED8B.jpeg
C71C4D30-06E5-451B-B0F7-94A57E3273C6.jpeg
7462D1B4-B8B3-422C-BA3C-EE2DE62B7B9E.jpeg

Last edited:
They've been having problems with the rear pads wearing since I bought my daughter a new 2007 Jetta.
Fronts were perfect rears were worn down to 2/32" in 23 ,000 miles.
Changed pads to Wagner Thermo Quiets and they lasted until I got rid of it at 70,000 miles.
The squealing can be that the pads have some type of contamination from tire dressing or spray wax embedded in them from when you are doing the wheel detailing.
Hopefully new pads solves this. I never spray the wheels directly. Always on microfiber then applied to wheels.

Common VW thing - pad compound related. So easy to just drop a set of Euro ceramic pads in there and not worry about it for $50 or so.

if you are talking about the rear appearing at an angle - it appears that is just an artifact of the camera angle and the reflection of the rotor Surface. If you mean front vs rear axle that is sadly normal for most of the cars ive owned the past decade.
The wear doesn't look terrible - many miles left before they need to be r&r'ed. Most new rears I have installed were only 8mm thick new, I think these look O.K. They should dissipate heat better when thinner.

My 2014 Nissan Rogue Select with short miles had the rear inside pads gone, and the rotors chewed I have photos but they are on an old phone.

The first 3 images are of the rear pads (3rd image shows odd feathering on the tops of the pads). 4th picture is of the fronts for reference. That dusty wheel is one of the rears, the fronts weren’t nearly as bad. I cleaned all 4 while they were off.
View attachment 121413View attachment 121414View attachment 121415View attachment 121416View attachment 121417View attachment 121418View attachment 121419
Did your Jetta come with Falken tires from the factory?

Scott

if you are talking about the rear appearing at an angle - it appears that is just an artifact of the camera angle and the reflection of the rotor Surface. If you mean front vs rear axle that is sadly normal for most of the cars ive owned the past decade.
The wear doesn't look terrible - many miles left before they need to be r&r'ed. Most new rears I have installed were only 8mm thick new, I think these look O.K. They should dissipate heat better when thinner.

My 2014 Nissan Rogue Select with short miles had the rear inside pads gone, and the rotors chewed I have photos but they are on an old phone.
No angle, I am referring to the lack of pad material on the rears vs the fronts. They are 10mm when new, these are down to 5.

The pads will need to be replaced in a matter of months. Why the need for a brake bleed?
There is no need for brake fluid - 3 years for the first fluid flush. Slap pads in and drive.

VCDS

New part number OE pads or the pads for a 2019 because mine have got 50,000 on them and were at 7mm the last oil change.

Back