2021 Toyota 4 Runner TRD

This guy always does a good job testing various Crossovers/SUVs etc. I was initially surprised he settled on the 4 Runner, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. Toyota updated the infotainment display and added push start. The 4 Runner has the tried and true 4.0 and 5spd AT, both which are bulletproof. It's a good option for those that don't want a Jeep.

This video is still relative of the new ones.

That's what I like about it though, that it is still based on a more rugged/off-road platform. There will always been trade-offs between on/off road ride quality. They've also updated the interior for 2021 and it looks really nice now.

I actually do go off-road, and I have a permanent work from home job, so gas prices aren't a concern. The reason I'm looking back into something like this is due to the family missing some of the outdoor exploring we used to do with the Frontier and Subaru. CX-30 is much more practical as a daily and more efficient, but can't handle off-road like the 4-Runner. The off-roading I do is never anything that would damage the vehicle as its usually minimal to moderate at most.

The other vehicle I'm interested in is entirely different than this, the LT1 Camaro. lol

Good looking, best of the Toyota/Lexus best build quality and engineering....big quick resale regardless of generation, no quibbling that.

The newer 4.0L has dual VVT-i for starters. It uses a different crankshaft, pistons, and camshafts. That and they did away with the top mounted oil filter for a bottom cartridge style. It makes a little bit more HP and TQ. Still a very good engine compared to the 3.5L that would be found in my truck.

Different block, cylinder heads, intake, and exhaust, in addition to the different parts you noted.

Really, the Dual VVT-i 1 GR-FE is so different from the Single VVT-i 1 GR-FE, that Toyota should've changed the engine designation, IMO.

The Dual VVT-i version makes more power throughout the rev-range.

We also have a new 5th gen TRD ORP, which replaced a 3rd gen.

To the first post: Keyless Entry with push-button start, is only on certain trim levels.

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with Jeep or the ZR2. I love the look of the ZR2. I'm not settled on anything at this point. My car is only a little over a year old.
If I do go this route again, I'd likely get the 4 Runner or Jeep. I don't want a pickup.

I work from home 5 days a week so gas prices are no longer a concern of mine. Of course it would be my luck that would change once I bought something less fuel efficient, again. lol

If my situation was different, I'd have a Camaro LT1 and 4 Runner/Jeep. A fast car and a good off-road vehicle.

Back