2021 Nissan Rogue Oil/Filter Change

It looks like the oil pan plug and filter on my 2021 Nissan Rouge are facing towards the driver side and not towards the back. Is it possible to still do an oil change lifting car on ramps with this arrangement? Will all the dirty oil still drain out ?

If you are just putting the front wheels up on the ramps then I would imagine a lot of old oil would be left in the crankcase.

Just watched two yt vids on topic engine oil and filter change. First thought, what a stupid, diy unfriendly design! ~20 plastic push pin clips and two 10mm bolts to remove the belly pan/shroud before doing anything else. :(

Watching the one vid, even though the plug is on the side it is mostly toward the rearward part of the pan. Without seeing it up close, difficult to determine if using ramps would result in 'significantly' less oil drained than a level orientation.

I guess I'd say what's the alternative for diy. No way "I" would use four ramps or four jack stands to do what should be a simple oil and filter change. What I see and with no more information, I'd likely use front ramps, and make the best of it. My .02

How else would you change the oil? There is no need to get too over board on oil changes just do them on the conservative side of the recommended oil change interval recommended in the manual.

It looks like the oil pan plug and filter on my 2021 Nissan Rouge are facing towards the driver side and not towards the back. Is it possible to still do an oil change lifting car on ramps with this arrangement? Will all the dirty oil still drain out ?

Maybe you can put the wheels on the right side up on the ramps?

My Tucson 1.6 has a funky oil pan drain that if you put if up on ramps you canot get all the oil out. So what I do is evacuate the oil from above and use a Fram Ultra filter rated for 20K. I change every 4K and go three times on the filter. When I need to do the filter I drive the car front and rear up on solid boards to be level. And of course then have to unbolt the stupid pan. AAARGH!!

Here's another thought. Put Rogue on ramps to remove belly pan. Back down to level and since it's an SUV, 'maybe' can reach filter (which is toward engine front) and drain bolt. Depending on ground clearance, perhaps a possibility. Then back up on ramps to replace belly pan push pins and bolts. Just something to consider.

1641596719179.jpg

IF drive way has a slight slope, point the front of the Rogue down, and put ramps
in front. Oil pan should be close to level that way.

My 2¢

Wow. If someone takes this into a “quick lube”, easy $20-30 up charge to take off the splash shield. Why, Nissan, why…

Wow. If someone takes this into a “quick lube”, easy $20-30 up charge to take off the splash shield. Why, Nissan, why…
They probably won't take it off, but rather remove just enough fasteners to bend the crap out of the shield to do the change and make a big mess - seen that going ons before. :(

......Isn't a Rogue high enough that you can do the oil change without getting it on ramps?
Possibly-likely. I help maintain a 2017 Rogue (different OF and drain plug location) and much prefer having it up on ramps. For a younger individual than myself, 'perhaps' not as big a deal. Drain plug should be a relatively easy get on the ground, OF might be a bit more difficult. What I saw on yt, I would want it up on ramps at least to remove and replace all the push pin clips and belly pan

Fwiw, the yt posted since my last post here is one of the two yts I watched before commenting.
.....Why, Nissan, why.....
Indeed. My speculation, with all the plastic clips, least expensive way they could design, manufacture and mount the belly pan. If I owned one and planned diy, I'd already have part number of clips with spares ready to go. That said, still a big....UGH.

That splash shield will be a pain. Too bad Nissan didn’t think of a access panel while they were planning that monstrosity.

Thats stupid. I guess just live with some oil being in there. Unless you jack the car up instead then lower the jack with the bolt out to let a bit more out. But i wouldn't worry too much about it.

I think you will be fine with ramps. We have a 2005 Jeep GC that has the drain plug facing the passenger side rear portion of the drain pan. I have put the passenger side up on ramps and it drains fine. I have put both front tires up on ramps and all the oil drains fine. The engine takes 5 quarts and every time I add 5 quarts and the level is correct.

just my $0.02

Back