2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee to use Alfa Giulia platform.

Given that the 2020 and older GC were based on a platform developed with Mercedes, it was expected that the change would be significant. Will be interesting to see the quirks and TSB's for the first bit once they are on the street. Our RAM, given it is early production, really hasn't been bad for a FMY product on a brand new platform.

When I FO'd my current 2020 it was made on the last day possible for the current platform, FWIW. So the transition has been in the works for a while.

I guess that scraps the thought of buying a 2021 GC for me. I'll hear all about it from the early adopters. Then maybe by 2023 consider it if I don't buy something else first.

2021 will remain on the current platform, 2022 will be the new one.

Deciding if I want the last year of the current generation or wait and see what 2022 will be like...

2021 will remain on the current platform, 2022 will be the new one.

Deciding if I want the last year of the current generation or wait and see what 2022 will be like...

I wonder if we'll see a 2021, they may skip it and just continue as 2020 like Audi did with the E-tron, there was never a 2020.

I wonder if we'll see a 2021, they may skip it and just continue as 2020 like Audi did with the E-tron, there was never a 2020.

2021s are showing up on dealer lots, I wonder if they'll be around a full model year or if the 2022 will come out early.

I dont know if a Jeep needs more FIAT and less Chrysler but we shall see how it turns out

Not sure if this had been discussed yet. Seems to be a big change for Jeep.

I wouldnt trust the reliability or rust protection on that especially in the salt belt as a daily driver. I always liked Alfa cars but they were always known to be very finniky, oil leakers and rust buckets if not kept after with extreme maintenance. We can only hope the use US steel with good corrosion protection and a known good drivetrain.

Interesting, because 2021 is not listed on the Jeep website right now for the GC.

We're in a situation. We just sold the Challenger and GTI (both went a lot quicker than we anticipated) and are working with the dealer that sold us the Challenger (we really liked them). They have 2021s on the lot but none are what we're looking for. Debating on keeping the Tiguan that we both hate but still has 5 years left on the bumper to bumper warranty or trading it for something worth driving. All work travel has stopped so we pretty much only use the car for errands, Tiguan is paid for so buying something new to pick up dinner seems a bit ridiculous...but we hate this Tiguan.

We're in a situation. We just sold the Challenger and GTI (both went a lot quicker than we anticipated) and are working with the dealer that sold us the Challenger (we really liked them). They have 2021s on the lot but none are what we're looking for. Debating on keeping the Tiguan that we both hate but still has 5 years left on the bumper to bumper warranty or trading it for something worth driving. All work travel has stopped so we pretty much only use the car for errands, Tiguan is paid for so buying something new to pick up dinner seems a bit ridiculous...but we hate this Tiguan.
Might be your last chance at getting into the WK2.... I'm a fan, I've owned three.

Given that the 2020 and older GC were based on a platform developed with Mercedes, it was expected that the change would be significant. Will be interesting to see the quirks and TSB's for the first bit once they are on the street. Our RAM, given it is early production, really hasn't been bad for a FMY product on a brand new platform.

When I FO'd my current 2020 it was made on the last day possible for the current platform, FWIW. So the transition has been in the works for a while.
Agreed. The number of TSB's and issues on the Ram DT's during the first 12-18 months was significant. The number of TSBs/recalls released since spring of this year (which is about 18 months in) has been very very few.

I love the GC and would own one except for the relatively poor crash rating. That's important for me. The Cherokee was also poor but was upgraded in 2019 to address that. Not so for the GC.
I'll be interested in the new GC but definitely won't buy the first year of production.

I love the GC and would own one except for the relatively poor crash rating. That's important for me. The Cherokee was also poor but was upgraded in 2019 to address that. Not so for the GC.
I'll be interested in the new GC but definitely won't buy the first year of production.

The crash test is relative to the standards on the date of production. When the WK2 first came out, it did exceptionally well. As the platform aged and the standards have improved, it has slipped. Toyota is experiencing the same issue with the Tundra and Sienna.

We delved into this a bit a while back and it's surprising to see how many cars that start off with a really good rating and get recommended as IIHS top picks end up with deficiencies in later years as the platform gets long in the tooth.

I wouldnt trust the reliability or rust protection on that especially in the salt belt as a daily driver. I always liked Alfa cars but they were always known to be very finniky, oil leakers and rust buckets if not kept after with extreme maintenance. We can only hope the use US steel with good corrosion protection and a known good drivetrain.
I had a Milano Gold. Pretty good car that never left me stranded but it was from up north and you could literally hear it rusting away. Had some minor stuff like grinding into second and like 20 flashing warning lights but really didn’t care because that V6 engine sounded amazing when you got on it.

I’ve heard the 4-cylinder Giulias are pretty good cars but the V6 turbo is less than stellar.

Back