2021 Ford Escape - first big problem

dcd

I said I would report any issues I’ve had with this car when I purchased it in January. FYI it’s a 2021 Ford Escape SEL with 2.0T and AWS.

Ive been very pleased with it up until about a month ago at 4000 miles when the rear end started shuttering while turning at low speeds. It gradually got worse, so I scheduled an appointment with dealer.

After waiting 2 weeks for a time slot, I took it to the dealer today with 5000 miles for them to look at it. I got a call this afternoon to come pick it up.

There is a service bulletin about contaminated diff fluid but they can’t change it because the one-time use drain and fill plugs are on back order!

Meanwhile I’m supposed to drive around with bad diff fluid doing more damage to it with no guarantee of anything other than a fresh fluid change some day when the drain plugs come in! Very frustrating.

I said I would report any issues I’ve had with this car when I purchased it in January. FYI it’s a 2021 Ford Escape SEL with 2.0T and AWS.

Ive been very pleased with it up until about a month ago at 4000 miles when the rear end started shuttering while turning at low speeds. It gradually got worse, so I scheduled an appointment with dealer.

After waiting 2 weeks for a time slot, I took it to the dealer today with 5000 miles for them to look at it. I got a call this afternoon to come pick it up.

There is a service bulletin about contaminated diff fluid but they can’t change it because the one-time use drain and fill plugs are on back order!

Meanwhile I’m supposed to drive around with bad diff fluid doing more damage to it with no guarantee of anything other than a fresh fluid change some day when the drain plugs come in! Very frustrating.
This kind of thing (parts on back order) is probably going to get worse before it gets better.

The plugs themselves aren't one time use, it's just the sealant on the plug threads that is. All you need is a little tube of the loctite white thread sealant and 1 quart of the fancy Motorcraft 75W diff oil. I literally just changed the rear diff fluid on a friend's 2020 Escape that had 24k on it and the fluid looked terrible.

It's under warranty. If it blows up due to a known issue they will fix it. Well...they didn't all the 6.0's that blew up the second time....

Yeah . and when it fails and you kill someone and they know you were driving a car with a known issue you can all sing cum by ahh

Yeah . and when it fails and you kill someone and they know you were driving a car with a known issue you can all sing cum by ahh

Rear diff failure on an AWD vehicle that is front wheel drive isn't going to kill someone. It just means your AWD won't work.

I agree with others. Just keep driving it and if it fails Ford owes you a brand new diff. It is frustrating that Ford would risk having to replace entire diffs over lack of supply of a $10 plug, but that is the unfortunate mentality of automakers these days. As soon as a customer buys a vehicle, they act like after sale service and support is a burden.

We've had both Camrys about 4 yrs now.. The other day the SE lit up up the check engine light for the first time. Checked the code, it was a loose fuel cap. My son cleared it with a little gizmo and his phone. :cool:

Update… Been almost 2 months and dealer still doesn’t have drain/fill plugs. He says these are unusual times and I should be lucky I can drive it since others are waiting on parts for vehicles they can’t drive

The car still vibrates/shutters when turning.

My question to BITOG is how would contaminated fluid cause this symptom? I could understand if it was LSD with clutch pack, but I seriously doubt the escape has an LSD. So if it’s just an open spider, how would fluid cause this? Could this be somehow related to the transfer case?

I honestly don’t think the dealer did any diagnostics. They just assume it’s the rear diff fluid because of a TSB and I’m concerned it’s really something else and I’m just waiting for possibly no reason.

Sorry for your troubles OP. I hope you can get it resolved favorably soon.

When people criticize me for my views on only owning older (10-25 years) well maintained vehicles, I am reminded of threads like this. I would be furious, livid, if my brand new vehicle had problems that some report. But the perks of a 15 year old car is that they are so inexpensive they are nearly disposable, and they were generally made smarter and easier to repair, and there are junk yards full of parts if the supply chains are down as is the case here. And, if you own several, if one is down you're not stranded. You can own 4 twenty year old cars for the price of one new equivalent.

Update… Been almost 2 months and dealer still doesn’t have drain/fill plugs. He says these are unusual times and I should be lucky I can drive it since others are waiting on parts for vehicles they can’t drive

The car still vibrates/shutters when turning.

My question to BITOG is how would contaminated fluid cause this symptom? I could understand if it was LSD with clutch pack, but I seriously doubt the escape has an LSD. So if it’s just an open spider, how would fluid cause this? Could this be somehow related to the transfer case?

I honestly don’t think the dealer did any diagnostics. They just assume it’s the rear diff fluid because of a TSB and I’m concerned it’s really something else and I’m just waiting for possibly no reason.
Thank goodness you have a warranty! You've got the problem on-record with them, so you're covered.

Back