2021 Ford Escape - first big problem

I still think that the OP should call after different dealers.
I understand the nonsense issue with the drain plug is the excuse Ford is using to avoid doing the work. However, the OP can do the fluid change, tell nobody, and the warranty remains intact. If the problem persists, the situation remains unchanged.

I'm not at all convinced the differential is going to fail. As it's my understanding it is unloaded during normal use.

Ford could give specific instruction on how to apply sealant or tape to the threads to prevent whatever reason they require exact thread sealant on the plug. Rather than delay. I guess it is understandable they don’t want excess sealant on the plug in a normal parts are in stock situation. According to the above parts should have been shipped and in stock by now?

I'd probably go ahead and change it in the video in post 72, the fluid is outrageous though.

Admittedly mine is a hybrid which may react differently but i often leave it in the "intelligent AWD" screen and the rear is never pulling except in low traction or if you stomp it from a dead stop, at least according to the screen.

Oh and it gets almost 38 MPG...

All of you saying just drive it, you have a warranty so who cares if it fails, probably don't keep your vehicles for very long. It's not a forever warranty. Sometimes damage is cumulative and instead of being able to get 400,000 miles out of a part, now you might only be able to get 300,000 miles.

The point is you have an asset that is depreciating at a rate higher than it should be. Simple as that.

- update -

The rear differential drain and fill plugs finally came in so that the dealer could finally change the fluid.

And the vibration when turning is still there. However since the weather has cooled and I have put 7000 miles on the old fluid, it has not been acting up as much lately even before I took it in. So it’s not fixed but very hard to duplicate at the moment.

I now have over 11,000 miles on the vehicle. I got a quote from Carvana and they will give me what I paid for it brand new in January. Combine that with the fact I can get a full refund on my extended warranty if done before 12000 miles, I am planning to sell or trade it. In fact I have a deposit on a RAV4 hybrid from local Toyota dealer who has offered to match Carvana on trade in value so that I would not lose money on tax. The RAV4 should be here in a month or so if things go as planned.

Received a surprise call today that the RAV4 hybrid came in much earlier than expected!

Picked it up this evening and my initial impressions are that it rides much better than the Escape and handles better and is quieter than I expected after reading reviews.

So I guess I’m an official Toyota fanboy now that we have 3 of them counting my Tundra and wife’s Camry. That was never my intention, as I usually tend to switch and try out different brands.

Received a surprise call today that the RAV4 hybrid came in much earlier than expected!

Picked it up this evening and my initial impressions are that it rides much better than the Escape and handles better and is quieter than I expected after reading reviews.

So I guess I’m an official Toyota fanboy now that we have 3 of them counting my Tundra and wife’s Camry. That was never my intention, as I usually tend to switch and try out different brands.

Congrats on the new Toyota.

Reactions: dcd
O

This is probably the most disappointing aspect… losing longtime trust in a new vehicle so early. I’ve already decided I don’t want to keep outside of warranty. Definitely won’t be keeping it for almost 15 years and 200,000 miles like previous escape.

Until this issue is fixed I don’t feel comfortable taking it on 1000+ mi road trips.

Another thing that irks me somewhat is Ford has issued a safety recall for some Escapes like mine (except 2020) for having low diff fluid with a warning that it could seize up. However they can’t even check the fluid level in mine presumably because they don’t have replacement drain/fill plugs? Not feeling a lot of confidence here.
Your frustration echoes mine. We had a 2018 AWD Flex that needed axle shafts, hubs, and PTU replacement - all at under 53.000 miles! Replaced under warranty of course but then other things started going wrong so it got sold pretty quick. (Started a couple threads)

I hope the used car market stays elevated for you!

Ford's FWD based AWD vehicles are IMO junk because of these issues.

This thread is just another example of why I won't be buying a Bronco, to replace our trail exploring 4Runner.
Your 4Runner will likely outlast any new Ford vehicle...what year is it again? :LOL:

Update… Been almost 2 months and dealer still doesn’t have drain/fill plugs. He says these are unusual times and I should be lucky I can drive it since others are waiting on parts for vehicles they can’t drive

The car still vibrates/shutters when turning.

My question to BITOG is how would contaminated fluid cause this symptom? I could understand if it was LSD with clutch pack, but I seriously doubt the escape has an LSD. So if it’s just an open spider, how would fluid cause this? Could this be somehow related to the transfer case?

I honestly don’t think the dealer did any diagnostics. They just assume it’s the rear diff fluid because of a TSB and I’m concerned it’s really something else and I’m just waiting for possibly no reason.
Like others above don't try to "fix" it. It's under warranty. No confidence in Ford. Simpler is better, I buy only Toyota or Honda , N/A, 2wd, no CVT.

dcd, please give us a review on your new toyota rav4 hybrid after you put some miles on it.

Will do. So far, so good. I got a decent road trip in this past weekend, all interstate. I plan to evaluate it this week on some of the local mountain roads.

Back