2021 Ford Escape - first big problem

Sorry for your troubles OP. I hope you can get it resolved favorably soon.

When people criticize me for my views on only owning older (10-25 years) well maintained vehicles, I am reminded of threads like this. I would be furious, livid, if my brand new vehicle had problems that some report. But the perks of a 15 year old car is that they are so inexpensive they are nearly disposable, and they were generally made smarter and easier to repair, and there are junk yards full of parts if the supply chains are down as is the case here. And, if you own several, if one is down you're not stranded. You can own 4 twenty year old cars for the price of one new equivalent.
You're making me feel better about buying a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan a few months ago!

If there is a way to fix it with a thread sealer on the plug I would insist on that, or a rental car. The last thing I'd want is them replacing a differential in a new car. Many of these dealers can't get an oil change right, I wouldn't want them screwing around with changing a differential, if a fluid swap can fix it.

Reactions: JC1
6C2Z-4N282-AA is the part number for the plug.

Part#:6C2Z 4N282AA ENG#:6C244N282AA
Part Name:PLUG - MAGNETIC TYPE Date Off B/O:09/03/21 B/O Ranking:362
bar_r.gif
corner_bl.gif
bar_b.gif
corner_br.gif

corner_tl.gif
corner_tr.gif
bar_l.gif
Line NumberDateMerchandiser Remarks
1 FILL EM-ORDS FROM: YX HVCS UPON RECEIPT
2 CAUSAL DESCRIPTN1: XM CAMPAIGN/FIELD FIX
3 CAUSAL DESCRIPTN2: WM CAMPAIGN/FIELD FIX
4 72321 OFF BACKORDER DATE UNKNOWN
5 72921 SUPPLIER PROMISES TO SHIP 2,700 PIECES AUGUST 2ND
6 72921 SUPPLIER PROMISES TO SHIP 146 PIECES AUGUST 9TH

SSM 49571 - 2019-2021 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair, 2021 Bronco Sport - AWD - Chatter/Shudder During Low Speed Turning Events
Some 2019-2021 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair, 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit chatter/shudder during low speed turning events due to fluid contamination. Drain and refill the rear drive unit (RDU), refer to Workshop Manual Section (WSM) 205-02. Drive for 8 km (5 miles) in stop and go conditions with right and left turns and re-evaluate. If the issue is still present, continue with WSM diagnostics. For claiming, use base (4000) causal part.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2021 CAR: HD CX430N C-SUV
2020 - 2021 CAR: TF CX483N CORSAIR
2020 - 2021 CAR: TC CX482N ESCAPE
2019 - 2021 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2019 - 2020 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2019 - 2021 CAR: D9 U540N MKX

6C2Z-4N282-AA is the part number for the plug.

Part#:6C2Z 4N282AAENG#:6C244N282AA
Part Name:PLUG - MAGNETIC TYPEDate Off B/O:09/03/21B/O Ranking:362
bar_r.gif
corner_bl.gif
bar_b.gif
corner_br.gif

corner_tl.gif
corner_tr.gif
bar_l.gif
Line NumberDateMerchandiser Remarks
1FILL EM-ORDS FROM: YX HVCS UPON RECEIPT
2CAUSAL DESCRIPTN1: XM CAMPAIGN/FIELD FIX
3CAUSAL DESCRIPTN2: WM CAMPAIGN/FIELD FIX
472321OFF BACKORDER DATE UNKNOWN
572921SUPPLIER PROMISES TO SHIP 2,700 PIECES AUGUST 2ND
672921SUPPLIER PROMISES TO SHIP 146 PIECES AUGUST 9TH

SSM 49571 - 2019-2021 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair, 2021 Bronco Sport - AWD - Chatter/Shudder During Low Speed Turning Events
Some 2019-2021 Edge/Nautilus, 2020-2021 Escape/Corsair, 2021 Bronco Sport vehicles equipped with all wheel drive (AWD) may exhibit chatter/shudder during low speed turning events due to fluid contamination. Drain and refill the rear drive unit (RDU), refer to Workshop Manual Section (WSM) 205-02. Drive for 8 km (5 miles) in stop and go conditions with right and left turns and re-evaluate. If the issue is still present, continue with WSM diagnostics. For claiming, use base (4000) causal part.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2021 CAR: HD CX430N C-SUV
2020 - 2021 CAR: TF CX483N CORSAIR
2020 - 2021 CAR: TC CX482N ESCAPE
2019 - 2021 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2019 - 2020 CAR: DQ CD539N EDGE
2019 - 2021 CAR: D9 U540N MKX
Taking bets on how many months after 9/3 til that part actually comes off backorder?

What? It’s under one of several comprehensive and powertrain warranties. Just drive it.

Just keep driving it and if it fails Ford owes you a brand new diff. It is frustrating that Ford would risk having to replace entire diffs over lack of supply of a $10 plug, but that is the unfortunate mentality of automakers these days. As soon as a customer buys a vehicle, they act like after sale service and support is a burden.

It’s drivable. If the diff fails they replace it.

Thank goodness you have a warranty! You've got the problem on-record with them, so you're covered.
Yea right! When/If the diff fails at 62k miles due to damage caused by this problem, Ford is highly likely to deny the warranty repair claim. Ford has a well-known history of doing this sort of thing. They are famous for denying legitimate warranty claims on known defective components if the vehicle is even 15 days or 100 miles out of warranty, for example... diff failures on 2002-2004 Explorers with IRS, or timing chain failures on SOHC 4.0L V/6 engines, I personally saw this sort of thing many times. Unless Ford gives you a warranty extension in writing, something that other manufacturers occasionally do, I don't trust them.

I'm adding this story to my long list of reasons to avoid 4WD vehicles.
This is just a long list of Ford quality problems ( and possible future warranty denial) and is not indicative of 4WD vehicles generally. Talk to guys that have 200,000 miles on their trucks. Yea-they have issues but the 4WD system isn't generally a big one. 45,000 miles on my wife's Hyundai and there are no issues with the AWD system.

One of my wife's aunts has a bad coil (#2) her 2013 v6 Santa Fe.............two week back order for the coil. She got a loaner though. The material and parts shortage is the worst i've ever experienced. OP, i wouldn't get discouraged, things happen. Let's hope Ford makes it right when they the have parts to do so, effectively.

Last edited:
Yea right! When/If the diff fails at 62k miles due to damage caused by this problem, Ford is highly likely to deny the warranty repair claim. Ford has a well-known history of doing this sort of thing. They are famous for denying legitimate warranty claims on known defective components if the vehicle is even 15 days or 100 miles out of warranty, for example... diff failures on 2002-2004 Explorers with IRS, or timing chain failures on SOHC 4.0L V/6 engines, I personally saw this sort of thing many times. Unless Ford gives you a warranty extension in writing, something that other manufacturers occasionally do, I don't trust them.
I don’t trust them…..why buy their product then especially in flooded market of really good CUVs?

O
This is probably the most disappointing aspect… losing longtime trust in a new vehicle so early. I’ve already decided I don’t want to keep outside of warranty. Definitely won’t be keeping it for almost 15 years and 200,000 miles like previous escape.

Until this issue is fixed I don’t feel comfortable taking it on 1000+ mi road trips.

Another thing that irks me somewhat is Ford has issued a safety recall for some Escapes like mine (except 2020) for having low diff fluid with a warning that it could seize up. However they can’t even check the fluid level in mine presumably because they don’t have replacement drain/fill plugs? Not feeling a lot of confidence here.

Why are the bolts one time use? It’s a diff housing not a connecting rod or head bolt.

O

This is probably the most disappointing aspect… losing longtime trust in a new vehicle so early. I’ve already decided I don’t want to keep outside of warranty. Definitely won’t be keeping it for almost 15 years and 200,000 miles like previous escape.

Until this issue is fixed I don’t feel comfortable taking it on 1000+ mi road trips.

Another thing that irks me somewhat is Ford has issued a safety recall for some Escapes like mine (except 2020) for having low diff fluid with a warning that it could seize up. However they can’t even check the fluid level in mine presumably because they don’t have replacement drain/fill plugs? Not feeling a lot of confidence here.
Follow your gut. My last Ford gave me issues by the 13K mark (window weather seals all needed to be replaced) and I told myself it was just a fluke. Then the sway bar end links went and Ford weaseled their way out of covering under warranty at 21K miles. I told myself it’s only $32 and an hour of my time, it’s no big deal. Then the rear struts both failed by 36K and I started questioning the thing. Unfortunately each repair was less than $400 so I always justified it has less than a new car payment. By the time I had gotten that small car to 88K miles, I had already dropped over $3000 into it, with me doing all the labor. I should have followed my gut at the 36K mark and ditched the friggen thing; it still had some value at that point.

This is just a long list of Ford quality problems ( and possible future warranty denial) and is not indicative of 4WD vehicles generally. Talk to guys that have 200,000 miles on their trucks. Yea-they have issues but the 4WD system isn't generally a big one. 45,000 miles on my wife's Hyundai and there are no issues with the AWD system.

Back