Ordered 2021 Ford Escape

Going from the 06 to the 21 how do you think it compare interior space and exterior size? We have a 04 and have looked at the newer ones but we haven't drove one yet, seems smaller to us. Our 04 has been pretty good.. few glitches but it's been worked and drove just about everywhere. Right now at 174k and the only issue is the timing cover leak, and maybe the timing chain makes noise on occasion.

Going from the 06 to the 21 how do you think it compare interior space and exterior size? We have a 04 and have looked at the newer ones but we haven't drove one yet, seems smaller to us. Our 04 has been pretty good.. few glitches but it's been worked and drove just about everywhere. Right now at 174k and the only issue is the timing cover leak, and maybe the timing chain makes noise on occasion.

I think they are very similar, but as you know the new ones are curvy instead of square which makes it a little hard to compare. The rear seat has vents and reclines a little which is nice.

love the color...but I just cant get over the carp like smile front end...similar to some Toyota models and lets not even talk about the Lexus line up...

Had one with the front cover leak, too. An expensive repair as I believe the engine has to be raised to replace the gasket. I tried Liqui-Moly oil saver and it solved the problem. Combined with a HM oil the Liqui-Moly used can be tapered off.

I’m not a believer in additives, but this one really worked for me.

What option did you go for? Was the dealer not able to source the exact model for you? 2 months on delivery for a mass produced car like an escape is absurd. I would expect it to be much faster, maybe 1 month tops.

Or maybe they've been effected by the chip shortage. Didn't they just shut down the escape/corsair plant? Is your delivery date tentative at this point?

I think they are very similar, but as you know the new ones are curvy instead of square which makes it a little hard to compare. The rear seat has vents and reclines a little which is nice.
Yeah I agree it would be hard to compare, I'd rather have the straight lines but maybe that's the old school in me. Your 06 didn't have reclining rear seats? Ours does.. I thought they all did. The vents would be nice though.

Had one with the front cover leak, too. An expensive repair as I believe the engine has to be raised to replace the gasket. I tried Liqui-Moly oil saver and it solved the problem. Combined with a HM oil the Liqui-Moly used can be tapered off.

I’m not a believer in additives, but this one really worked for me.
If I was to pull the cover I'd also redo the timing chains, it runs ok though so holding off. HM did stop it for a while.. I'll take a look at the ligui-moly.

What option did you go for? Was the dealer not able to source the exact model for you? 2 months on delivery for a mass produced car like an escape is absurd. I would expect it to be much faster, maybe 1 month tops.

Or maybe they've been effected by the chip shortage. Didn't they just shut down the escape/corsair plant? Is your delivery date tentative at this point?

Somebody didn't read the whole thread.

They didn't start building 21 models until the first week of Jan according to my information.

Yeah I agree it would be hard to compare, I'd rather have the straight lines but maybe that's the old school in me. Your 06 didn't have reclining rear seats? Ours does.. I thought they all did. The vents would be nice though.
Ford did away with rear reclining seats with the 2005 refresh. I also prefer the straight lines, but I really like that my fuel mileage is almost double the old one.

It was scheduled for build on 1/4 and delivered on 1/22. Not bad considering the plant was shut down week of 1/11.

You must have been one of the first off the line. I hear the plant is slowed or idled due to the chip shortage and is something like 20,000 behind. No word on mine (not that I'm necessarily expecting timely updates)

I did discover while cruising another forum that even though the 2021 build is not up on fords site if you change the 2020 in the build and price URL to 2021 it seems to work. I am pretty sure I tried this in January or Feb and it did not work...

Seems like the door panel "dimples" changed as well...

You must have been one of the first off the line. I hear the plant is slowed or idled due to the chip shortage and is something like 20,000 behind. No word on mine (not that I'm necessarily expecting timely updates)

I did discover while cruising another forum that even though the 2021 build is not up on fords site if you change the 2020 in the build and price URL to 2021 it seems to work. I am pretty sure I tried this in January or Feb and it did not work...

Seems like the door panel "dimples" changed as well...

I guess I was lucky to have gotten in before the shortage hit everything.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see lines instead of dimples in the door panels when it arrived.

21EscapeHybrid1.jpeg

Well mine finally showed up. I have not even driven it.

Hows yours doing?

21EscapeHybrid1.jpeg

Well mine finally showed up. I have not even driven it.

Hows yours doing?
Nice ride!

Mine has been doing great so far. Got about 4000 miles now. Nothing really major to complain about.

I love the power of the 2.0T and the infotainment and adaptive cruise control is much much better than my Tundra.

Only a couple of nits to pick so far. I think the subwoofer on the upgraded audio system puts out more bass than the car can handle in terms of exciting various vibrations. That and the fact that I usually can’t get the gimmicky “foot wave” operated tailgate to work when I need it. I was trying to demonstate that to my dad and couldn’t get it to work, meanwhile we’re standing there talking and the dog walks by and opens it! We both got a laugh out of that.

Took delivery today! Very pleased with it so far. I’m glad I opted for the B&O sound system. It is noticeably better than the one I test drove without it. Likewise glad I went with the 2.0 EcoBoost. It’s noticeably smoother and more powerful than the 3 cylinder I test drove.

It came in last week, but I’ve been too busy to get it until today. The ordering and purchasing experience was the best ever for me. This is the first time I have not even been asked for an extended warranty or anything else for that matter. I just signed a few documents at the salesmen’s desk and was on my way! I decided to order and purchase from a small “mom & pop”dealer after getting fed up with both of the “big guys” in town at various points in the past.

Obligatory pics below:

View attachment 43251View attachment 43252
Congrats! Beautiful color.

I had '02 (purchased new) Escape (V6 & FWD) and will say that it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Super reliable and easy to work on. I owned it for 13 yrs!

Congratulations on the new Escapes. I had a 2017 SE with the 2.0 Ecoboost. I loved the car and never had any problems out of it. Quiet and plenty of power. I just got tired of not having a truck when I needed one. Hauling gasoline for my mower wasn’t exactly a pleasant experience. I didn’t like gasoline inside the passenger compartment with me.

Enjoy your new Escape!!! I have a 2008. One of the fewer models with 5 speed manual transmission. So far so good!

Last edited:
The European/Australian model is definitely more aggressive looking - it is called the Kuga or is it Puma and has an ST version if I'm not mistaken.

I would have like the 2.0EB but the old tried and true 2.5 hooked to an electric motor seems pretty good in my very limited drive.

Mine has neither the upgraded sound or the foot operated tailgate. The tailgate is power, but you can't trigger it with your foot. I would probably have liked the upgraded sound.

I really have not had a chance to mess much with it but will drive it around town some, I need to try to put at least some miles on it before I'm told to get in it and go to some faraway land...

Back