2021 F150 PowerBoost MPG

I'm not impressed. I'd expect more mpg. Yesterday I drove about 200 miles from my home to Boston for a baseball ⚾️ tournament.

2017 F150 5.0 6 speed got 19.2 mpg. Mostly 75 and 95% highway. I'd expect upper 20' s out of an EV ....
Was that hand calculated or the dash telling you 19.2.

If 26.8 isn't good from a crew cab pickup then I don't know what your measure of good could possibly be. Again this is a hybrid not full EV.

I'm not impressed. I'd expect more mpg. Yesterday I drove about 200 miles from my home to Boston for a baseball ⚾️ tournament.

2017 F150 5.0 6 speed got 19.2 mpg. Mostly 75 and 95% highway. I'd expect upper 20' s out of an EV ....
I don't know where people get the idea that hybrids should magically create energy when being driven on the highway. The Powerboost has a small battery which is charged via regenerative braking and engine power, so it doesn't benefit from eMPG like a PHEV or full EV. It burns gas to make itself move.

I don't know where people get the idea that hybrids should magically create energy when being driven on the highway. The Powerboost has a small battery which is charged via regenerative braking and engine power, so it doesn't benefit from eMPG like a PHEV or full EV. It burns gas to make itself move.

I'm "people" and I don't expect "magic" but I do expect results. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, at least at this point in the tech. I can meet you at that halfway point and agree it is a plus but on a 60k+ truck, just for ME, I need more to get me to jump on it. And Fors certainly does not sell it using statements like the last line in your post.

I'm "people" and I don't expect "magic" but I do expect results. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic, at least at this point in the tech. I can meet you at that halfway point and agree it is a plus but on a 60k+ truck, just for ME, I need more to get me to jump on it. And Fors certainly does not sell it using statements like the last line in your post.
To say that it doesn't impress you or fit your needs is certainly fair enough. IMO the value in a system like the Powerboost is in hauling, towing, and power generation. As an added bonus, presumably there is a bit of a mileage improvement relative to a traditionally powered pickup if it is used as a city commuter, but that alone doesn't justify the cost and added complexity.

Hybrids are often the most efficient vehicles on the road, when it comes to "energy in, energy out". The Prius and it's stunning MPG is a great example.

The F150 does not have an engine designed to achieve 41% thermal efficiency, as it's designed to tow and do real work. It can't have an underpowered engine.

Reactions: 4WD
I have put about 1k miles on the Hybrid F150, dubbed PowerBoost. This drivetrain places a 47hp electric motor behind the torque converter. The rest of the drivetrain is a 3.5L EcoBoost with the 10-speed automatic. Truck is a Lariat, Crew Cab, 5.5' box, 4WD and 3.73 rear end gearing.

MPG has been great. I have been routinely getting 23-25 MPG. Hand calculations show that the in-dash calculations are accurate to within .1 MPG. I am surprised. I can only assume it'll get better. This truck is great on fuel. With the 30 gallon tank, I can go about >600 miles on fill-ups.

View attachment 58200

Didnt see the 4wd - piece. Got it.

Last edited:
Your manual small truck with about half the horsepower gets 20% less MPG and you think that’s nothing special?
And (as you know) $50k is not outrageous for truck costs these days … so if I was looking for an all around 150/1500 … this would be a contender for sure …

Was that hand calculated or the dash telling you 19.2.

If 26.8 isn't good from a crew cab pickup then I don't know what your measure of good could possibly be. Again this is a hybrid not full EV.
He thinks for that price they should not have fake synthetic oil in them 😷

Back