2021 F150 PowerBoost MPG

I have put about 1k miles on the Hybrid F150, dubbed PowerBoost. This drivetrain places a 47hp electric motor behind the torque converter. The rest of the drivetrain is a 3.5L EcoBoost with the 10-speed automatic. Truck is a Lariat, Crew Cab, 5.5' box, 4WD and 3.73 rear end gearing.

MPG has been great. I have been routinely getting 23-25 MPG. Hand calculations show that the in-dash calculations are accurate to within .1 MPG. I am surprised. I can only assume it'll get better. This truck is great on fuel. With the 30 gallon tank, I can go about >600 miles on fill-ups.

1621950513471.jpeg

My 3.5L Ecoboost didnt hit peak efficiency until probably 10000 miles. I drove cross country with 1500 miles on the truck and got like 13 mpg and was like, OMG what did I buy.

Now I routinely average 18 in the summer.

My 3.5L Ecoboost didnt hit peak efficiency until probably 10000 miles. I drove cross country with 1500 miles on the truck and got like 13 mpg and was like, OMG what did I buy.

Now I routinely average 18 in the summer.
A lot of variation in conditions when doing a single cross country trip. Crosswinds, grades, HVAC usage, etc. Your regular driving pattern now is probably more representative of the true fuel economy.

A lot of variation in conditions when doing a single cross country trip. Crosswinds, grades, HVAC usage, etc. Your regular driving pattern now is probably more representative of the true fuel economy.

It didnt reach peak efficiency until 10k. I've driven long distance back and forth across Wyoming in all kinds of winds and still never gotten 13 mpg unloaded. Now on the same trip I would get 16-17 doing 80mph and 19-21 if I did 65mph.

nothing special for 50G + or - tank- truck, my port injected 18 fronty SV 4.0 6 spd manual averages 19 in the summer BUT its lighter + has less power. IMO if anyone can afford a truck like that its gas consumption is pocket change. engine vary as do driving habits + where you drive + live does so comparing is difficult + IMO thats good for a big tank-truck!! no offence but it is what it is!!

nothing special for 50G + or - tank- truck, my port injected 18 fronty SV 4.0 6 spd manual averages 19 in the summer BUT its lighter + has less power. IMO if anyone can afford a truck like that its gas consumption is pocket change. engine vary as do driving habits + where you drive + live does so comparing is difficult + IMO thats good for a big tank-truck!! no offence but it is what it is!!
Your manual small truck with about half the horsepower gets 20% less MPG and you think that’s nothing special?

It didnt reach peak efficiency until 10k. I've driven long distance back and forth across Wyoming in all kinds of winds and still never gotten 13 mpg unloaded. Now on the same trip I would get 16-17 doing 80mph and 19-21 if I did 65mph.
You are indicating that your truck became almost 30% more efficient just by putting more miles on it. While I can believe a very small percentage, 30% seems highly suspect. As The Critic indicated, there are most likely other factors that contributed to this change to a larger degree than "break-in" did.

You can drive on all electric? 5.4 miles on electric does make the mpg happen. Pretty impressive. I guess it is recapturing power as it slows down or goes down hills, also saving the brakes.

Last edited:
You can drive on all electric? 5.4 miles on electric does make the mpg happen. Pretty impressive. I guess it is recapturing power as it slows down or goes down hills, also saving the brakes.
Yes that is correct, the engine shuts off and down grades/braking -- regenerative braking occurs. It is pretty sweet.

The mpg savings may just pay for a new battery pack when it needs replacing. ...How much to replace a 47HP electric motor? Not meaning to bash just pointing out that these additional costs and complexities must be part of a real discussion of cost/efficiency. This is often glazed over by some.

You are indicating that your truck became almost 30% more efficient just by putting more miles on it. While I can believe a very small percentage, 30% seems highly suspect. As The Critic indicated, there are most likely other factors that contributed to this change to a larger degree than "break-in" did.
No i didnt say that. Just that i dont get anywhere near 13 anymore. 80 mph the truck typically gets 16-17

Real neat to be honest but If that truck isn't going to see payloads or towing of over a thousand pounds I would have honestly just gotten a 3.3 L as it's still got nearly 300 horsepower and pound feet of torque and the money that you save in buying that would easily still be more than fuel savings plus repairs on that twin turbo engine and hybrid system. I don't understand people who pay obscene amounts to save a bit just to lose it in the long run. Unless you already know and just don't care at all because it's a lease and you just want to have fun then by all means. Unless you live in an area with constant power loss and you have a transfer switch installed then it wouldn't be a terrible deal I suppose. But who's gonna have that scenario.

Real neat to be honest but If that truck isn't going to see payloads or towing of over a thousand pounds I would have honestly just gotten a 3.3 L as it's still got nearly 300 horsepower and pound feet of torque and the money that you save in buying that would easily still be more than fuel savings plus repairs on that twin turbo engine and hybrid system. I don't understand people who pay obscene amounts to save a bit just to lose it in the long run. Unless you already know and just don't care at all because it's a lease and you just want to have fun then by all means. Unless you live in an area with constant power loss and you have a transfer switch installed then it wouldn't be a terrible deal I suppose. But who's gonna have that scenario.
The truck will see plenty of loads. 16' car hauler with cars, 2-3 ATVs, tractors, equipment, etc. The 3.3 is pretty anemic especially if it was going to be paired with a Crew Cab. Also, I do not think you can get a Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 with a 3.3.

Some of us like some fancy vehicles -- I know that doesn't go over well on here but not everyone enjoys the thoughts of driving a 10 year old Corolla every day.

I look at it this way. A good 80% of the time I will be putting miles on, driving to and from work, going to appointments, commitments, etc. Crew cab is very helpful with the family. I don't know how I could make an Extended Cab work for little ones. The rest of the time, hauling ATVs, moving my Regal, buying/selling tractors, etc.

I have one vehicle that can do it all, and save fuel when not doing that. I can get reasonably good economy but when I need the power of a 3.5 EcoBoost, it is all there.

The truck will see plenty of loads. 16' car hauler with cars, 2-3 ATVs, tractors, equipment, etc. The 3.3 is pretty anemic especially if it was going to be paired with a Crew Cab. Also, I do not think you can get a Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 with a 3.3.

Some of us like some fancy vehicles -- I know that doesn't go over well on here but not everyone enjoys the thoughts of driving a 10 year old Corolla every day.
that's why i said if you do a lot of towing and or want to have fun with something really cool or you have some real use for that onboard generator. there are some people like me who have a truck but dont really tow or haul and if so its typically a few hundred pounds but use it more as a commuter. my neighbor spent the extra 10k on the 6.7 ps and all that power just to haul his butt to his manager job and back and maybe a small tank of propane.

If this truck were available last year, I certainly would have bought one.

Ford has been doing hybrid tech for well over 2 decades now and they have it figured out and I think this truck hits a good Niche. 26 MPG out of a full size truck is excellent.

Yup. I drove my Prius V home after it sat in the dealer lot for 6 months, that first 100 mile trip got me only 24mpg because it was charging the depleted battery back to life. Now I am averaging 40mpg for over 6 years and 73k miles.

I'm not impressed. I'd expect more mpg. Yesterday I drove about 200 miles from my home to Boston for a baseball ⚾️ tournament.

2017 F150 5.0 6 speed got 19.2 mpg. Mostly 75 and 95% highway. I'd expect upper 20' s out of an EV ....

The mpg savings may just pay for a new battery pack when it needs replacing. ...How much to replace a 47HP electric motor? Not meaning to bash just pointing out that these additional costs and complexities must be part of a real discussion of cost/efficiency. This is often glazed over by some.
Depends on how many they sell, right? I mean, we all said the same thing about Prius drivetrain, yet that car is somewhat known for not needing many batteries—and when it does, there are aftermarket options—and the electric motor tends to go the distance. Sell enough of something, and if it breaks, the aftermarket tends to step (people sense a way to make a buck).

Back