2020 Silverado 5.3 rental report. Ohhhh Boyyyyyyy :(

So I had a incident with my 08 Silverado just before Labor day (Women side swiped me) and insurance covered a rental and I was able to snag a 2020 Silverado LT 5.3 crew cab while my ASE mechanic was fixing up my truck.

Been driving it since labor day and turning it in today since my mechanic is done fixing up my truck. So in the 700 miles I have put on it the last month. I was VERY surprised and disappointed that the engine already has a misfire/tick sound and front struts are DONE and I mean DONE !!! Truck only has 17,000 miles, But to it's defense that's rental FLEET miles and a firestone service sticker on windshield=Possible poor maintenance ??

I was also having issues syncing my Iphone 6s with the apple car play. We had same issues when I worked at GM dealer back in 2015/2016 with the K2XX gen trucks and I thought a software fix solved it but I guess not ??

Also this truck is a early build 2020 so I believe it has the 10 speed?? and it performed very well

Curious anyone on here who owns this current gen GM full size has anything to chime in ???

Asking cause depending how things go with economy and flipping some $$$ collector trans am's lol. I was SERIOUSLY considering selling my 08 Silverado and getting a new Silverado like the one I was driving, But now.....................Meh ???

Dave

The tick is the high pressure fuel injection that your 2008 doesn't have.

Can't comment on front suspension, as mine has the Max Trailering package and is different than stock suspension.

The tick is the high pressure fuel injection that your 2008 doesn't have.

Can't comment on front suspension, as mine has the Max Trailering package and is different than stock suspension.

Ahh okay ya makes sense on the HP fuel injection. Have to catch up on what the 2020+trucks are equipped with

Ya my 08 has fresh new front struts and is WORLDS different then what I felt driving the 2020. I think I can shake up a martini in it, thats how bad it was

Dave

You probably should elaborate on this "shake" thing if you want a good answer. Shaking a martini sounds like some kind of repetitive motion, so maybe tires are not round?
Not sure, but unless this is very light duty, there are probably shocks up from, not struts.

To be fair, the magazines have complained about the same sort of ride quality issues in the newest GM trucks.

The looks are very polarizing, but I fall on the "I love it" side of things. I think the half-tons are the most attractive pickups currently offered. I know others will disagree, to each his (or her) own.

You probably should elaborate on this "shake" thing if you want a good answer. Shaking a martini sounds like some kind of repetitive motion, so maybe tires are not round?
Not sure, but unless this is very light duty, there are probably shocks up from, not struts.

Sorry more of a constant bounce on bad roads/highway's not a shake. Driving Silverado's/Full size GM Suv's for last 12 years, the ride was horrible !!!

Aside from POSSIBLE poor maintenance/Neglect the truck performed GREAT !!

The 5.3 and 8 speed is nothing special. The 6.2 engine is what makes these trucks worth it. Otherwise might as well have the nice RAM interior or the better FORD aluminum body. I'm 'shocked' that your shocks are blown at only 17k tho. When i got my truck, it had 70k, stock shocks still, and they were mostly gone. It was a truck the previous owner had to commute down a dirt road to his home.

Sorry more of a constant bounce on bad roads/highway's not a shake. Driving Silverado's/Full size GM Suv's for last 12 years, the ride was horrible !!!

Aside from POSSIBLE poor maintenance/Neglect the truck performed GREAT !!

Maybe the tires were massively over-inflated?

Weird. It just doesn't seem plausible that the shocks would be FUBAR at such low mileage, even being a rental. Unless somebody took it dune jumping?

Ya someone HAD to of abused it or very low quality parts ??

Feels more like the struts have 200K miles on them, not 17K

Dave

So I turned it in yesterday and I let the rental guy know about the suspension issue

15 minutes later another guy(Customer) was driving away in it :confused:

This really proves a point to NEVER to buy a car from a rental agency

Dave

So I turned it in yesterday and I let the rental guy know about the suspension issue

15 minutes later another guy(Customer) was driving away in it :confused:

This really proves a point to NEVER to buy a car from a rental agency

Dave
Agree, have rented vehicles for years … many look like they left a war zone by 30k …

I don't think it's fair to review a rental unless I'm the first customer to drive it. Some idiots are purposely abusive to rentals.

But thanks for your review and good intentions sharing your opinion. You may have gotten one of the said abused one's is all.

I have 3 F150's, a 2009, 2011EB and 2018EB. My friend has the new Chevy Silverado 4x4 V8 (I am not sure of the displacement)

His Chevy equals the EB trucks in MPG on the same route and the engine is smooth and sounds nice, if just a touch unrefined when revved. But I've got to say, without any doubt in my mind, the 2009 Ford Lariat is a more refined feeling, better riding and handling truck than any of the others! Period, end of story.

Back