2020 GM 5.3L Oil

We have (8) Tahoes assigned to the K-9 unit. (10) more assigned to Admin..Sheriff, Chiefs, and Upper Command.
They all get 0w20. Never a problem. K-9 units idle over the 12 hour shift to keep the dogs comfortable. 90+ heat here in the south.
The Milwaukee PD does the same with their K-9 units. The Fords are idled with the A/C on. Some amount of heavy-duty, rear passenger-door window fan inserts are used as well.

Their selected fleet oils are beyond-belief tested. I'll have to ask and see what they use; their fleet manager is a good guy and is a peer of mine.

Last edited:
That's what I do with my son's 2017 GMC Sierra. I also disabled the AFM. I sleep better with a full synthetic 5W-30 and no AFM instead of 0W-20 in a direct injected engine with cylinder deactivation.
I tow all over the Rocky Mountains in my 2018 Silverado (5,000 pound-26 foot travel trailer). Very severe conditions-especially in the summertime. The manual calls for 0/20w and that what it gets. 40,000 miles (probably 10,000 miles of towing) and it hasn't blown up yet. I can sleep at night too.

The oil just got changed with Mobil 1 (0/20w) and a Fram Tough Guard filter.

Back