2020 GM 5.3L Oil

Good Morning. I oversee a small/medium size fleet and have recently purchased a few new Tahoe's. Previously our fleet was mostly made up of Ford vehicles. My question is, with the new 5.3L engines, they require 0w20, I would like to minimize the types of oil I need on hand in bulk. Does anyone have any information on running a full synthetic 5w20 or 5w30 in these engines? I also should mention the new Tahoe's are Police/Pursuit vehicles.
Thanks in advance.

Certainly wasn't trying to start any sort of debate. I searched for 30 mins here trying to find anyone who has switched. with no luck. A lot of discussion on Toyota's use of the same oil. Toyota also gives other recommendations. GM does not give any other choices for viscosity regardless of use or temperature ranges, only 0w20. I have my own preferences on which to use, just looking for real world experience with these engines and oil types.
Disregard if this has been discussed and not worth your response.
Thank you.

Are you not required to run the correct oil for warranty concerns? GMs new Powertrain warranty is still 5/60?? I would be more concerned about the cheap fleet gas you may have to use....

I have a 2017 (traded my 2018) with a 5.3L … and just stick with 0w20 because it tends to be made from good base stocks. Most people who don’t like that viscosity (here) go up to 5w30. I might at some point … no hurry …
As for the owners manual … yes, it mentions only 0w20 Dexos … but can’t predict how somebody gets treated on a warranty claim … opinions vary. Will 5w20 work ? Sure, same viscosity when hot …
I’d just make sure it is Dexos … available in the 3 grades mentioned …

Don't be afraid at all of putting a 5W-30 in it. At the end of the day it is still a small-block. Don't know how much I like the thought of a ran-hard PPV Gen V LS/LT on a 0W-20.

What do you have on hand for the Ford fleet? How did that oil hold up for you?

You can run a 5w-30 and I don't think the Dynamic Fuel Management and the variable displacement oil pump would care.

0w-20 and 5w-20 are virtually identical, and on paper, they won't start deviating in viscosity until ambient temps are colder than 32*F. You can safely use either. SOPUS even advertises on their 0w-20 Pennzoil Platinum that it has the "same protection as 5w-20". So, you can get some inventory consolidation there and either stock any Dexos approved 0w-20 or 5w-20.

Once the vehicles are out of their powertrain warranty, I would consolidate up to a Dexos approved 5w-30

Stick with Xw20, with all the changes to the oiling system and cooling on 2014+ LS engines thicker oil really shouldn't be necessary.

Thanks for the help guys.
Previously our bulk oil was only 15w40 and before I came on, was used in every vehicle. Until we got the Tahoe's.
Currently I order oil for every service by the quart for all of our "Road" vehicles. I need to switch to bulk for these. We use mostly 5w30 with a few at 5w20. My only concern was these newer 5.3L.
You guys confirmed what I was thinking, and I thank you for that.

Back