Recommend oil for 2020 Kia Soul 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP, based on my experience - OEM filter is a decent one, use it and sleep well. THat's what I did for the first 2 years of owning my car, and then I joined bitog (what a mistake). With all of the variety of filters out there, it's tempting to try smth new. I havent had any issues (as well as many others) with Fram, M1 and (currently) K&N filters.
In fact, the latest combo Magnatec + k&n filter seems to work the best for my application. Up to you to decide, there's a big UOA section and you can search thru it to see how different oils perform

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB

Following this logic, you have to use the dealer's oil only

Huh? For gosh sakes, people really should read the M-M Act and the later released FTC bulletin that further clarifies the Act w/respect to automobile mfgs...it strictly prohibits tie in sales. Again, it strictly prohibits tie in sales..so you can use whatever oil filter or oil you like but you use non OE items with a caveat..the Act specifically states that a vehicle mfg is NOT liable for damages (if they can prove) it was caused by an aftermarket item or faulty installation of the aftermarket item.

This is why it's recommend to stick with OE items while under warranty. If an OE item/part/oil/filter/service... whatever, fails then there is ZERO wiggle room for the mfg to deny your warranty claim because they ALSO happen to be the warrantor of the defective part or installation of the part (in a case where the dealership did the service).

Simply put, if you buy OE parts and have the dealership do the labour, then the mfg is on the hook 1million %...no if ands or buts. This is the ONLY scenario that is 100% denial proof.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Havoline ProDS 5w20/30 SN+/D1G2 in the 6qt box for $19.97 @ Wally's + OE filter while under warranty. Hard to beat at $3.32qt!

I saw the havoline in a box here at waslmart North of Orlando (Altomonte) we don't have it where I live in Texas. Anyway the total divided by 6 is cheaper per quart than the super tech 5 quart jugs. Can't beat that and Chevron makes great products in my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pinoak
Havoline ProDS 5w20/30 SN+/D1G2 in the 6qt box for $19.97 @ Wally's + OE filter while under warranty. Hard to beat at $3.32qt!

I saw the havoline in a box here at waslmart North of Orlando (Altomonte) we don't have it where I live in Texas. Anyway the total divided by 6 is cheaper per quart than the super tech 5 quart jugs. Can't beat that and Chevron makes great products in my opinion.

Yes they do. Order it online and have it shipped to store..or better yet, just buy 2 or more boxes and have them shipped to home. It's not like you won't use it. I like to buy it online not only because it's convenient to have it arrive at my doorstep but I use that online shopping service Ebates, and you save an addtl 5% on automotive products from Walmart when purchased online. Makes things even cheaper...

Last edited:
I'm surprised they are still speccing 5wX oils for 2020 vehicles. I thought 0w was pretty much a given in modern cars.

@hoot_r, I have used just about every filter in my Hyundai's and Kia's. I cut them open after the OCI also. I have run a lot of the OEM filters too. I generally run WIX filters now, which is made by the same company. Though, I did just put a champs lab filter on. Very well made and the internals look good on ones I have seen cut open. Honestly, unless you are using uber cheap no name china brand filters, you should not have a problem. As for oil, your car is not hard on oil. It is a GDI though, so recommend either a semi-synthetic at 4-5K, or a Full synthetic at around 7K. The recommendations of the Havoline in a box, or even the Supertech are good ones. Your car will do just fine for years on either.

Originally Posted by Urshurak776
@hoot_r, I have used just about every filter in my Hyundai's and Kia's. I cut them open after the OCI also. I have run a lot of the OEM filters too. I generally run WIX filters now, which is made by the same company. Though, I did just put a champs lab filter on. Very well made and the internals look good on ones I have seen cut open. Honestly, unless you are using uber cheap no name china brand filters, you should not have a problem. As for oil, your car is not hard on oil. It is a GDI though, so recommend either a semi-synthetic at 4-5K, or a Full synthetic at around 7K. The recommendations of the Havoline in a box, or even the Supertech are good ones. Your car will do just fine for years on either.

I agree although I have used Premium Guard and Prime Guard's with good results
wink.gif

I was very skeptical about using Kia/Hyundai oil filters and thus did quite an extensive research which took me about 3 weeks; there is absolutely no need to use anything else unless you get comparable or better quality filter at a better price.
OEM filters are very high quality and are cheap if you get them on Amazon or thru dealer connection in 6 or 10 packs.

Originally Posted by dubber09
I was very skeptical about using Kia/Hyundai oil filters and thus did quite an extensive research which took me about 3 weeks; there is absolutely no need to use anything else unless you get comparable or better quality filter at a better price.
OEM filters are very high quality and are cheap if you get them on Amazon or thru dealer connection in 6 or 10 packs.

Since you've done all this research what is the efficiency rating at 20 microns and the cost of those filters?
Please share this with us.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

I agree although I have used Premium Guard and Prime Guard's with good results
wink.gif

I have never tried these 53'. I wouldn't hesitate if you recommend them though.

I did run them to 3-4k ocis I should note as they were on friends vehicles that did 90% short trip/deliveries etc

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Since you've done all this research what is the efficiency rating at 20 microns and the cost of those filters?

Can't answer the efficiency question but fwiw, my understanding is Kia/Hyundai OE filters are made by the German firm Mann - Hummel. Mann also owns the Wix brand of filters here in the USA.

Can't answer the efficiency question but fwiw, my understanding is Kia/Hyundai OE filters are made by the German firm Mann - Hummel. Mann also owns the Wix brand of filters here in the USA.

So what exactly your research concluded (aside from being made by Korean dept of Mann Hummel)

So what exactly your research concluded (aside from being made by Korean dept of Mann Hummel)

Does it matter? I honestly don't spend all night reading filter PDS's, getting all hot and bothered about microns and efficiency blah blah blah...‚, so no - I didn't research it. I just know from using them they're "good" filters made by a reputable company and if it's good enough for the OE, it's good enough for me.... But don't let me stop you from spending a gazillion dollars on a uber supreme filter if that's what helps you sleep at night.

Heck, why stop at 20 microns..why don't ya just run your oil through an RO membrane and then you'll have REAL bragging rights....‚

(the original poster didn't say the OE's are "as good" as some of the uber elite filters costing 2x as much, he said they're good. Good is subjective and you and the other guy are trying to play gotcha with him by pinning him/me down to an arbitrary spec. You know as well as I do that there's more than just filtering efficiency in what makes a good filter. Heck you can filter down to 10 microns but if your flow sucks or the media falls apart or can't hold a lot of contaminants or the filter seals poorly or the can punctures easily.. it ain't a good filter IMO)

Last edited:

Does it matter? I honestly don't spend all night reading filter PDS's, getting all hot and bothered about microns and efficiency blah blah blah...‚, so no - I didn't research it. I just know from using them they're "good" filters made by a reputable company and if it's good enough for the OE, it's good enough for me.... But don't let me stop you from spending a gazillion dollars on a uber supreme filter if that's what helps you sleep at night.

Heck, why stop at 20 microns..why don't ya just run your oil through an RO membrane and then you'll have REAL bragging rights....‚

(the original poster didn't say the OE's are "as good" as some of the uber elite filters costing 2x as much, he said they're good. Good is subjective and you and the other guy are trying to play gotcha with him by pinning him/me down to an arbitrary spec. You know as well as I do that there's more than just filtering efficiency in what makes a good filter. Heck you can filter down to 10 microns but if your flow sucks or the media falls apart or can't hold a lot of contaminants or the filter seals poorly or the can punctures easily.. it ain't a good filter IMO)

You were the one who told us about performing a "3 weeks research" with no other finding but a "good filter".
I have no problems with using OEM, and I do use it sometimes. But claiming that it's a silver bullet of all filters with no data points is a meh statement

You were the one who told us about performing a "3 weeks research"
with no other finding but a "good filter".
I have no problems with using OEM, and I do use it sometimes. But claiming that it's a silver bullet of all filters with no data points is a meh statement

Where did I say that I did 3wks research? Who in this thread stated or insinuated an OE filter is a "silver bullet', I'm having trouble finding that. Some of you appear so eager to play gotcha that you overlook the basics like reading a post carefully. And fwiw, I think you have me confused for someone else in this thread.

But even IF i had said "it's as good as.." that's a subjective statement (opinion) unless I qualified the statement by saying, "it's filtration is as good as.." at that point you have a legitimate argument. If you want to espouse the virtues of using a premium filter, by all means do so. But as it stands, attempting to prove a subjective statement wrong is trying to make an argument out of nothing.

Last edited:
anyone reading this)
Basic filtering is all that most-all vehicle needs. If it weren't the case, then every vehicle rolled out the factory would be wearing Fram Ultras. We have members here with 350K+ mileage, using nothing but Pep Boys basic filter and Pep Boys oil.

I use the basics.... Fram EG @ 3.97, NAPA Pro-Select @ $3.49 and the cheapest K&N @ $4.99. I am first and last owner of my vehicles, so I care a-lot about what those vehicles wear.

If you want to waste your money on that $9-$11 Ultra, or the (factory reject) 2nd hand Ultra that gets purchased in 6-pks at EBay for $5 apiece, go right ahead.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
anyone reading this)
Basic filtering is all that most-all vehicle needs. If it weren't the case, then every vehicle rolled out the factory would be wearing Fram Ultras. We have members here with 350K+ mileage, using nothing but Pep Boys basic filter and Pep Boys oil.

I use the basics.... Fram EG @ 3.97, NAPA Pro-Select @ $3.49 and the cheapest K&N @ $4.99. I am first and last owner of my vehicles, so I care a-lot about what those vehicles wear.

If you want to waste your money on that $9-$11 Ultra, or the (factory reject) 2nd hand Ultra that gets purchased in 6-pks at EBay for $5 apiece, go right ahead.

Well said..👠now that I'm not under warranty, I use the OE when I can get it cheap from RA or the dealership. Otherwise I'm fine using a Champ Labs or WIX or Fram EG. After all, they're all suppose to meet or exceed mfgs specs for flow and filtration.

(when I was under warranty I was anal about using the OE filter, just because I never wanted to give the dealership any wiggle room to deny a possible claim. It was peace of mind and they weren't that much more then aftermarket filters)

Last edited:
I used a fram ultra and Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 in the girlfriend's nu 1.8 port injected engine. 7,500mi later it seems to be doing fine, no undue startup noises and still running smoothly. I'm going to let this change go a little longer to get her back on track with the factory service intervals, then continue every 7500mi by the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back