0w-20 recommendations...'23 Kia Soul 2.0 mpfi

service writer said the dealership recommends 5k oci's between the severe & normal oci's...I was gonna do 4.5k-5k oci's
Engineers hide real change interval in severe service interval page. I always follow that or shorter than that. The "normal" interval change nowadays more and more serve as a way to please customers. (e.g. "lifetime" sp4 transmission fluid. what a scam!)

Just my 2cents.

gonna be getting a '23 kia soul 2.0 mpfi soon...financing fixed & awaiting delivery; looking for 0w-20 recommendations for diy oil changes after my 1 dealer freebie included in sale of car

just want oil recommendations...dealer service writer said they use Mobil 1; other sides of dealership family are CDRJ (pennzoil) & Mazda (castrol from what I'm told); plan to use hyundai/kia filters; thanks...
I like PUP 0w-20 in my Camry. It's on the thick side of 20w.

gonna be getting a '23 kia soul 2.0 mpfi soon...financing fixed & awaiting delivery; looking for 0w-20 recommendations for diy oil changes after my 1 dealer freebie included in sale of car

just want oil recommendations...dealer service writer said they use Mobil 1; other sides of dealership family are CDRJ (pennzoil) & Mazda (castrol from what I'm told); plan to use hyundai/kia filters; thanks...
For the price, QSFS 0W-20.

I had a Hyundai for 6 months to the day. 7/17/21 - 1/17/22. It ended up being a total lemon. Everything was wrong with it from day 3 onward. I only say this since more than likely, it will require a new engine at some time during the 100,000 mile warranty. It’s good for you, the customer, since it’s usually a new engine. Oil choice won’t make a noticeable difference, if any at all.

For the price, QSFS 0W-20.

I had a Hyundai for 6 months to the day. 7/17/21 - 1/17/22. It ended up being a total lemon. Everything was wrong with it from day 3 onward. I only say this since more than likely, it will require a new engine at some time during the 100,000 mile warranty. It’s good for you, the customer, since it’s usually a new engine. Oil choice won’t make a noticeable difference, if any at all.
I have a friend who works at Hyundai turning wrenches. His family wouldn’t have much to eat if it weren’t how fast he has learned to swap engines for warranty claims. It’s easier for them to pull off the bumper /crashbar, lamps, rad/condenser and rad support than try to wrestle an engine out and in without doing so.

Every Hyundai Kia dealership has an engine junkyard outback, its not the greatest look but most prospective buyers dont even know what a long block looks like. It’s Probably so they can pick nuts and bolts off them if needed. or they keep them until Hyundai corporate pays up.

This all being said I’m with @PWMDMD and would be using something other than 0w20 while covering my butt for a potential warranty claim. Recent history with this company tells me they do whatever it takes to sell units at max profit and would be very cautious about what their “engineers” recommend.

I have a friend who works at Hyundai turning wrenches. His family wouldn’t have much to eat if it weren’t how fast he has learned to swap engines for warranty claims. It’s easier for them to pull off the bumper /crashbar, lamps, rad/condenser and rad support than try to wrestle an engine out and in without doing so.

Every Hyundai Kia dealership has an engine junkyard outback, its not the greatest look but most prospective buyers dont even know what a long block looks like. It’s Probably so they can pick nuts and bolts off them if needed. or they keep them until Hyundai corporate pays up.

This all being said I’m with @PWMDMD and would be using something other than 0w20 while covering my butt for a potential warranty claim. Recent history with this company tells me they do whatever it takes to sell units at max profit and would be very cautious about what their “engineers” recommend.
Yep. When the service manager had taken me into their shop to show me what they were doing to my car, the entire right side of the shop had dedicated all of their lifts to replacing engines.. How a company continues to survive with such poor quality is beyond me.

Spoken to this many times, but my KIA Rio in sig burns through quite a bit of oil. Always did 5K synthetic oil change intervals. Sometimes with 5W-20 and sometimes with 5W-30. Issue is with the rings on the pistons. Hopefully, Hyundai/KIA have figured it out with the newer engines, but seeing anything under a 30 weight in a Hyundai / KIA makes the hair on my neck stand up. Does the manual give any wiggle room as far as weights with these engines?

Wife just got a 2020 Chrysler Pacifica from Enterprise Rent-A-Car, calls for 0w-20. What I'm reading says to stick with it because of the VVT. Owner's manual doesn't recommend anything else.
Calls for 5 quarts although the same engine in her old 2014 Town & Country took 6 quarts. It was totaled in a chain reaction crash. Oil on the dipstick looks clean but I'll change it anyway.
Supply chain is better but still not great, I'll just get whatever full syn I can find.

Back