2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road Dealer Bulk 0w20 5,000 mi UOA

Did an oil change on my dad's truck as an early Christmas gift because his work schedule doesn't allow him much time to drop it off at the dealership.

Until now he's always leased his trucks and usually by the time he's used all his free ToyotaCare oil changes it's time to trade it in anyways.

However, his current truck he actually bought, he's used all his free oil changes up so this will be his first home oil change in almost 20 years lol.

It's a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. Mileage on the oil may be slightly off because it's lifted with oversized tires.

Decided to send out a sample for a UOA to show him how it's doing.

Dealer bulk 0w20 and Toyota OEM filter with ~5,000 miles came out, SuperTech 0w20 and a Fram CH9972 filter went in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211228-135751-052.jpg
    Screenshot_20211228-135751-052.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 549
Nothing surprising there; good wear and low contamination.

If your dad is comfortable with it, he could easily go to 7.5k miles on the ST OCI with no problem. Then take another UOA and see if further extension is possible.

Nothing surprising there; good wear and low contamination.

If your dad is comfortable with it, he could easily go to 7.5k miles on the ST OCI with no problem. Then take another UOA and see if further extension is possible.
He's pretty old-school when it comes to maintenance so I don't think he'd be willing to stretch it out.

On the other hand, I plan to do a UOA on my own car here soon at the next oil change, and personally I DO plan to do extended OCIs depending what results I see.

He's pretty old-school when it comes to maintenance so I don't think he'd be willing to stretch it out.

On the other hand, I plan to do a UOA on my own car here soon at the next oil change, and personally I DO plan to do extended OCIs depending what results I see.
I don’t believe running the regular interval of 10k in a Tacoma is “stretching it” that is the conservative manufacturer recommended interval for regular driving conditions, 7500 would be a conservative ratio I run when I tow trailers or do a lot of unsaved dusty surfaces. 5k if I am towing and off pavement most of the time. you may get him used to 7500 before going To 10k. It’s more for the human than the machine.

Good looking uoa. The Oil didn't shear out of grade, plenty of tbn left.
Wear metals are low, Silicon low. You could easily bump the uoa to 7.5k miles

Fram?! 🤨😒 Could have went with a nicer filter with better filtration. Why settle for the bare minimum and only filter Rocks?
It's a cartridge with 95% efficiency rated for 10k miles. That's considered "bare minimum" to you?
Most of Toyota's filters don't have that much efficiency, and their engines can last multi-hundred thousand miles using those.
There's nothing wrong whatsoever with his choice.

That being said, saying now that you like "quality filtration" is a far, far cry from your earlier statement calling Frams "bare minimum" rock catchers.
I work at a dealership quick lube right now and I'll tell you now the Fram I put in my dad's truck looks a lot better than the OEM filters we put in Toyotas when they come in at my work.

I talked to my dad tonight and much to my surprise he is actually interested in doing extended OCIs.

We plan to run this new oil until 7,500 miles and get a UOA and depending what we see on that he'll consider stretching it to 10K.

I work at a dealership quick lube right now and I'll tell you now the Fram I put in my dad's truck looks a lot better than the OEM filters we put in Toyotas when they come in at my work.
How do they look better? First of all the Toyota filters come with protective cellophane and are pre lubed. They also have a thicker can and more filtration media. Only thing that's lacking is a silicone ADBV. That being said, I also use Fram from time to time. Look a lot better? That's absurd.

How do they look better? First of all the Toyota filters come with protective cellophane and are pre lubed. They also have a thicker can and more filtration media. Only thing that's lacking is a silicone ADBV. That being said, I also use Fram from time to time. Look a lot better? That's absurd.
You do realize we're talking about cartridge filters here and not spin-on, right?

The Fram cartridge I used was superior to the Toyota OEM one in every way.

It had far more pleats and filter media and it had nice, thick plastic endcaps on it, whereas the Toyota OEM filter had far fewer and very widely spaced pleats and cardboard endcaps.

You do realize we're talking about cartridge filters here and not spin-on, right?

The Fram cartridge I used was superior to the Toyota OEM one in every way.

It had far more pleats and filter media and it had nice, thick plastic endcaps on it, whereas the Toyota OEM filter had far fewer and very widely spaced pleats and cardboard endcaps.
I didn't know it was a cartridge filter. Sorry about the misunderstanding but it wasn't mentioned until Mr. Newton's post. Do all models and model years of Tacoma's have cartridge filters?

I didn't know it was a cartridge filter. Sorry about the misunderstanding but it wasn't mentioned until Mr. Newton's post. Do all models and model years of Tacoma's have cartridge filters?
My dad had a 2011 Tacoma at one point and it had a spin-on. I'm not sure when they switched to cartridges.

I'm pretty sure all Frams "CH" series fitlers are cartridges. He mentions the exact model in his OP.
Details matter.

Not a problem; we all miss things from time to time. If that's the biggest mistake you made that day, you're WAY ahead of me in the mistake category! ;)

Back