2019 RAV4 8-speed ATF Change

Considering the first ATF change on a 2019 Toyota RAV4 FWD with the 8-speed. I've changed it in a 2015 RAV4 previously and in my 2016 Highlander a few times so am aware of the procedure for the temperature range and the whole bit with the straw, etc. However, in this '19 RAV4 the fill plug seems to not allow the easy gravity fill from a funnel. Thoughts on how to easily get around this? It's the 24mm bolt in the upper left of the picture. Not the best picture but the bolt is above the metal plate.

Thanks.

IMG_3298.jpg

Lift pump, or snake a hose down from above. I do both for atf changes on my Tundra. Shove a funnel into pvc hose and push into the hole.

Use some kind of pump

Mityvac MVA6852

Yes, something like this will work. That one does 1.5L at a time.
If you think $56 is too much, you can always get a smaller capacity pump for under $20

I got one for $5 at one of those cheap discount stores that can pump 200cc

I've done this procedure without a Techstream. The Highlander procedure requires connecting terminals 13 (TC) and 4 (CG) of the DLC3 with the ignition switch off. Are these the same terminals to be connected for this 8-speed RAV? This procedure works well on what I've used it before, but doesn't seem to be the same for this new vehicle. Any tips you can provide would be most appreciated.

Have to build a funnel with long hose or use a pump like this:

Thanks a lot for posting that picture. I wasn't sure how to access the tranny on my 2020 Rav4. My 2015 Camry has bolts to remove the splash guard but I didn't see any bolts on my 2020 Rav4. Do you have to pop those plastic connectors off?

You can use one of those $20 bluetooth dongles in your OBD2 reader and Car Scanner ELM OBD2 on an android phone and read the ATF temperature after you download the Toyota modules. It's free. Or was free last time I used it a couple years ago. I assume it's still free.

Last edited:
That's OK :)

After you get the pump and fill it with ATF, you stick the hose in the fill hole. Keep pumping it in until it starts dripping out the fill hole.
It's not a differential. Measure what comes out. In my Camry it's about 2 quarts. Pump in a little more than came out and drain out the excess via the temperature / straw procedure.

Yes, there are a couple of those connectors but they're pretty easy. There are a couple bolts as well. All simple after removing the left front tire. There's a cover underneath to remove as well.
Have to build a funnel with long hose or use a pump like this:

Thanks a lot for posting that picture. I wasn't sure how to access the tranny on my 2020 Rav4. My 2015 Camry has bolts to remove the splash guard but I didn't see any bolts on my 2020 Rav4. Do you have to pop those plastic connectors off?

You can use one of those $20 bluetooth dongles in your OBD2 reader and Car Scanner ELM OBD2 on an android phone and read the ATF temperature after you download the Toyota modules. It's free. Or was free last time I used it a couple years ago. I assume it's still free.

2019 already need ATF change?

My thoughts exactly. The service interval is a long time into the future, like we'll go through 2 US presidents into the future. Toyota makes some of the most durable automatics in the business, there's no need to baby them.

Just did a UA80 yesterday. Pumping it in is your best (only) option. Drain and refill with the straw removed takes exactly 3 qt. Drain and refill 3 times.
The next time I am doing a drain and refill on my 8AT, I will just put 3qts without dealing with the procedure.

Back