2019 RAV4 8-speed ATF Change

The next time I am doing a drain and refill on my 8AT, I will just put 3qts without dealing with the procedure.
Do you also just add the specified amount of oil during an oil change, and not use the dipstick?

It is best practice to verify the fluid level after any fluid replacement.

Do you also just add the specified amount of oil during an oil change, and not use the dipstick?

It is best practice to verify the fluid level after any fluid replacement.
For oil change I put 4.8 qts every time since I already know the capacity.

As for ATF, I have already done it once, it was also 3 qts. Since I am only doing a single drain and refill, 3 qts should be ok. Doing it when it is cold.

How do you keep the line in place at the fill plug, I bought the slippery Pete’s pump(very slow) but I have to hold it in place by hand otherwise it comes out, the “3rd” hand clip they sent doesn’t fit the fill plug, if I can find a solution to keep the line in place without having to hold it then I would be golden because I wouldn’t take the tire off then.

How do you keep the line in place at the fill plug, I bought the slippery Pete’s pump(very slow) but I have to hold it in place by hand otherwise it comes out, the “3rd” hand clip they sent doesn’t fit the fill plug, if I can find a solution to keep the line in place without having to hold it then I would be golden because I wouldn’t take the tire off then.

The lines on the mityvac are hard plastic and very sturdy, I haven't had to hold the line in the hole yet but I would imagine you can duct tape the hose to the tire or zip tie it somewhere.

Yes I looked that up, it seems to be something you would use with that specific tool?

Also I feel like in the 6 speed AT from early year, will there be enough space to fit that adaptor
You have to use the adapter with the AST filler, but I'm sure you can clamp some normal aquarium tubing to the adapter.

It works great on all of the 6 and 8-spd units that I have used it on.

Considering the first ATF change on a 2019 Toyota RAV4 FWD with the 8-speed. I've changed it in a 2015 RAV4 previously and in my 2016 Highlander a few times so am aware of the procedure for the temperature range and the whole bit with the straw, etc. However, in this '19 RAV4 the fill plug seems to not allow the easy gravity fill from a funnel. Thoughts on how to easily get around this? It's the 24mm bolt in the upper left of the picture. Not the best picture but the bolt is above the metal plate.

Thanks.

View attachment 53735
Leave it alone that’s a fill for life transmission it does not need to be service ever . Trust Toyota.

You have to use the adapter with the AST filler, but I'm sure you can clamp some normal aquarium tubing to the adapter.

It works great on all of the 6 and 8-spd units that I have used it on.
perfect, thank you so much, I will buy the adapter and report back because I don't want to hold that bottle with one hand and pump with the other.

Back