2019 Ram 1500 5.7 "Extended" Oil Changes

I'm due for an oil change in a couple thousand miles and am contemplating my next oil.

History:
I bought this truck with 8848 miles on it in June 2020. Oil was changed before I got it and I changed it at 16504, 26462, 36536 and 46508 with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I have yet to add makeup oil on any interval, has lost at most 1/2qt over the entire interval.

Commute is 80% highway, 55 miles round. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends. My 2022 mileage was 22858 miles.

My last UOA was slightly questionable but some retesting eased some concerns, but I plan to sample after this oil change.

10000 Mile UOA

With all that said, I'm looking to add a little more buffer to the oil for my intervals. Couple points, I'm going to run 0w20 or 5w20 and I'm going to run til the OLM says 0%.

Ideally, I'll be buying an oil that is readily available, but I'm not opposed to order if necessary.

My first thought is to bump to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (However, I now see that this seems to be an ordering situation).

Thoughts?

If the truck is under warranty I'd keep doing what you're doing. If not, I would probably go to one of the extended OCI oils/filter, whichever brand you prefer, sample at 10k and potentially go out to 15k if possible.

If the truck is under warranty I'd keep doing what you're doing. If not, I would probably go to one of the extended OCI oils/filter, whichever brand you prefer, sample at 10k and potentially go out to 15k if possible.
Thanks

I meant to clarify. I considering following the OLM to not really be extended OCIs, especially when using a higher than expected grade of oil (synthetic instead of conventional), however, I know some here do consider this to be an extended OC interval.

I have zero intention of extending past the OLM.

Alright well for a 10k mostly highway interval just about any standard synthetic can handle that without issue, which you've found to be the case. Whether you switch to Mobil 1 or QSFS or Castrol Edge or whatever is not going to be a huge change from the PP you have been using. Now you could use the extended drain oils (what I mean by that is a particular companies top end oil) and run to the OLM for sure, but that's also a bit overkill.

When it comes to PUP, I find that oil a bit confusing. It is not marketed as extended drain, and it's really unclear what it offers over PP. Pennzoil says "extreme performance," whatever that means. Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline all market their top end oils as extended drain so PUP is kind of an outlier.

Your 10k report shows that there is still plenty of life left in that sample. The (correct) viscosity was still in 20-grade range, still had some boron, and had a 2.5 TBN; all great signs. My only concerns were with the Iron and Copper shed.

What oil filter did you use for that report? Is your engine air filter clean?

I did 19,000 miles on my 2015 Ram for the last interval. It was Red Line 0W-20. Analysis showed that the oil stood up well. It would be fine to take to zero on the OLM, which would probably be half as many miles as I did.

Alright well for a 10k mostly highway interval just about any standard synthetic can handle that without issue, which you've found to be the case. Whether you switch to Mobil 1 or QSFS or Castrol Edge or whatever is not going to be a huge change from the PP you have been using. Now you could use the extended drain oils (what I mean by that is a particular companies top end oil) and run to the OLM for sure, but that's also a bit overkill.

When it comes to PUP, I find that oil a bit confusing. It is not marketed as extended drain, and it's really unclear what it offers over PP. Pennzoil says "extreme performance," whatever that means. Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline all market their top end oils as extended drain so PUP is kind of an outlier.

Thanks. Remembered that PU used to be the stuff a while back, I hadn't looked into it much recently to know how that may have changed.

Your 10k report shows that there is still plenty of life left in that sample. The (correct) viscosity was still in 20-grade range, still had some boron, and had a 2.5 TBN; all great signs. My only concerns were with the Iron and Copper shed.

What oil filter did you use for that report? Is your engine air filter clean?

I used a Fram Ultra in the OEM size, XG10060 iirc. Air filter has been fine, but it is OE. We're not very dusty here.

I did 19,000 miles on my 2015 Ram for the last interval. It was Red Line 0W-20. Analysis showed that the oil stood up well. It would be fine to take to zero on the OLM, which would probably be half as many miles as I did.

I saw that UOA and was in a bit of awe lol

I'm definitely not going that far, but it's good information.

I probably should not be, but I am a bit skeptical of the low P/Zn levels in PP and a few other oils. They are a bit lower than industry norms.

For various reasons, I run HPL's Euro No VII 5W20 in mine. Its Kinematic Viscosity falls within the SAE 5W20 range, but its HT/HS is better than many 5W30's.

I probably should not be, but I am a bit skeptical of the low P/Zn levels in PP and a few other oils. They are a bit lower than industry norms.

For various reasons, I run HPL's Euro No VII 5W20 in mine. Its Kinematic Viscosity falls within the SAE 5W20 range, but its HT/HS is better than many 5W30's.
I’ve thought about the HPL line but shooo it’s pricey at 2 gallons a change. Brings up marginal rate of return scenarios in my head.

Being a classic, I assume you can't fit the bigger XG2 eh? That's what I use on our DT, and it's tight, but it fits. Allows me to stock only one filter too, which is nice.

These are dirty running engines so I think using the OLM as the barometer for a max interval is reasonable.

I’ve thought about the HPL line but shooo it’s pricey at 2 gallons a change. Brings up marginal rate of return scenarios in my head.

Both vehicles had been using approved oils at OEM (or shorter) intervals, yet HPL products removed the carbon deposits that you see.

I’m not saying that this minor amount of buildup would have resulted in a measurable, adverse impact to engine lifespan, but it goes to show you that there is some value in certain boutique oils.

Keep in mind that some of the HPL oils are only ~$10/qt when purchased in 4 gal cases using the BITOG discount, while others are $14-$15.

Being a classic, I assume you can't fit the bigger XG2 eh? That's what I use on our DT, and it's tight, but it fits. Allows me to stock only one filter too, which is nice.

These are dirty running engines so I think using the OLM as the barometer for a max interval is reasonable.

I've never tried, but I don't see how it would be possible.

Do you mean *aren't* dirty engines?

Both vehicles had been using approved oils at OEM (or shorter) intervals, yet HPL products removed the carbon deposits that you see.

I’m not saying that this minor amount of buildup would have resulted in a measurable, adverse impact to engine lifespan, but it goes to show you that there is some value in certain boutique oils.

Keep in mind that some of the HPL oils are only ~$10/qt when purchased in 4 gal cases using the BITOG discount, while others are $14-$15.

If I look at HPL, I'd probably go with the standard passenger car oil. I didn't have a sheer issue on the sample with PP 5w20, so I'd expect that I don't need anything wild on the VII perspective, although I understand the VIIs will be better quality in HPL.

I've toyed with going to 0w20, but I see that I would need to step up to Premium or Euro to get that. We get pretty cold for a week or so every year, but pretty cold is only single digits.

Probably want to do a shorter than usual interval for the first one (6000-7000) and then go full interval.

I've never tried, but I don't see how it would be possible.
That's why I asked. It was the filter that was used on the pre electric steering DS trucks and it fits, but it is tight, on the DT trucks. I don't recall if anybody has tried to see if it will fit on the DS (Classic) with the electric power steering or not.
Do you mean *aren't* dirty engines?
No, they ARE dirty engines. They produce a fair bit of carbonaceous grit that ends up in the oil, these dirty combustion tendencies are the reason they have dual ignition. The chamber design is great for higher RPM performance but for low speed operation, even with the quench areas, is not ideal and results in some less than perfect combustion characteristics.

The one filter dissection that @The Critic linked you to is from our DT, changed at the OLM interval.

That's why I asked. It was the filter that was used on the pre electric steering DS trucks and it fits, but it is tight, on the DT trucks. I don't recall if anybody has tried to see if it will fit on the DS (Classic) with the electric power steering or not.

No, they ARE dirty engines. They produce a fair bit of carbonaceous grit that ends up in the oil, these dirty combustion tendencies are the reason they have dual ignition. The chamber design is great for higher RPM performance but for low speed operation, even with the quench areas, is not ideal and results in some less than perfect combustion characteristics.

The one filter dissection that @The Critic linked you to is from our DT, changed at the OLM interval.

Understand.

Using HPL with it's cleaning properties could be a better path for my intent to keep this truck for a significant amount of time. Especially since it's lives at low RPM due to the highway time.

My rational close?

I'm due for an oil change in a couple thousand miles and am contemplating my next oil.

History:
I bought this truck with 8848 miles on it in June 2020. Oil was changed before I got it and I changed it at 16504, 26462, 36536 and 46508 with Pennzoil Platinum 5w20. I have yet to add makeup oil on any interval, has lost at most 1/2qt over the entire interval.

Commute is 80% highway, 55 miles round. Almost all family driving is in this truck as well on evenings and weekends. My 2022 mileage was 22858 miles.

My last UOA was slightly questionable but some retesting eased some concerns, but I plan to sample after this oil change.

10000 Mile UOA

With all that said, I'm looking to add a little more buffer to the oil for my intervals. Couple points, I'm going to run 0w20 or 5w20 and I'm going to run til the OLM says 0%.

Ideally, I'll be buying an oil that is readily available, but I'm not opposed to order if necessary.

My first thought is to bump to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (However, I now see that this seems to be an ordering situation).

Thoughts?
Use Pennzoil Platinum and a quality filter going with the Oil Life Monitor with no worry's and use your energy on other things!

Use Pennzoil Platinum and a quality filter going with the Oil Life Monitor with no worry's and use your energy on other things!

He has multiple UOA's to prove this is more than adequate. I don't understand the need for "more." The cost to benefit ratio (assuming there is even any benefit) is just not there.

He has multiple UOA's to prove this is more than adequate. I don't understand the need for "more." The cost to benefit ratio (assuming there is even any benefit) is just not there.

For my personal situation, I only have one. That one was just a mess lol

Understand.

Using HPL with it's cleaning properties could be a better path for my intent to keep this truck for a significant amount of time. Especially since it's lives at low RPM due to the highway time.

My rational close?
Yes. If you do choose to go with HPL, make sure to cut your filter open to see if anything has been liberated like it was with mine.

Back