2019 Hyundai Tucson drain bolt

Did the first oil change on the, new to us, Tucson with 34,800 miles on it. All previous oil changes done at dealership. Drain bolt head was all kinds of rounded and gouged and on TIGHT. Like, OMG tight. Then, planned to change out drain plug gasket. Yeah, no. Practically welded on there. Also, oil filter had slight leak. I took it off with two fingers. Base plate was dirty. Cleaned it super good and installed new oem filter. No leaks.

Bought a new drain plug. Dorman. Seems to work fine.

Just venting. Just kind of sloppy from the dealership in my opinion. Disappointing.

EFEB47F4-236B-4AB8-A83F-048E101FF7BA.jpeg

Last edited:
the plugs are very tight from the factory as are the filters. I'm not surprised mechs overtighten stuff as they get bad examples all the time.

The oil plug seal is often jammed on, I usually bent them a bit with a screwdriver and cut them with the side cut pliers or screwed them off if they would have it... that however looks like a reused oil plug seal though.

the plugs are very tight from the factory as are the filters. I'm not surprised mechs overtighten stuff as they get bad examples all the time.

The oil plug seal is often jammed on, I usually bent them a bit with a screwdriver and cut them with the side cut pliers or screwed them off if they would have it... that however looks like a reused oil plug seal though.
I tried to twist it, get a small screw driver under it, etc. wasn’t budging. I figured if I kept trying I would either damage it or myself. I tossed it and got a new one.

...and yet as a non-professional who isn't even the guy they hired yesterday, every time I was the last person to change my oil and oil filter they come off like they are supposed to when properly torqued, and every time the dealership does it I need a breaker bar - there really is no excuse.

...and yet as a non-professional who isn't even the guy they hired yesterday, every time I was the last person to change my oil and oil filter they come off like they are supposed to when properly torqued, and every time the dealership does it I need a breaker bar - there really is no excuse.

Yes I know. I never even needed a wrench to get the oil filters off I installed myself. Though I have torqued some up real good to return the favour when I knew I was leaving. There's no telling some of them.

Did the first oil change on the, new to us, Tucson with 34,800 miles on it. All previous oil changes done at dealership. Drain bolt head was all kinds of rounded and gouged and on TIGHT. Like, OMG tight. Then, planned to change out drain plug gasket. Yeah, no. Practically welded on there. Also, oil filter had slight leak. I took it off with two fingers. Base plate was dirty. Cleaned it super good and installed new oem filter. No leaks.

Bought a new drain plug. Dorman. Seems to work fine.

Just venting. Just kind of sloppy from the dealership in my opinion. Disappointing.

View attachment 107316
Had a Kia Forte other day; Pep Girls Did oil change on. Tiny PZ-37 filter barely on. That was a joy to degrease whole underbody let me tell ya 🤬🤬

They have blown up 3 engines in our fleet vehicles. Paid for 3 new engines too
And your company keeps sending them work ?

At least, overtighten is better than under-tightened.
When under tightened, you can loose an engine.
I'm sure this is why shops put the drain bolts on very tight. Won't leak, won't lead to oil loss and engine damage. It also seems like techs/mechanics use very long wrenches which give add'l leverage (for removal and installation) so it's not a big deal to them.

Back