2019 Ford F-150 5.0 Oil Recommendation

I am using M1 5w30 in my 5.0. It meets Ford recommendations for a 5w30: LINK.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30 is another that seems to be a favorite, now. It also has the same Ford approval for a 5w30: LINK.

If you are changing your own oil, I'd recommend a valve so you don't inadvertently have an Exxon Valdez incident on your driveway. I chose a Ronin. Makes for easy oil sampling, too.

Last edited:
I see lots of folks recommending 5W30 over the recommended 5W20. Is there added protection running the thicker weight? Also, on your recommendation I just bought the Ronin plug. That thing is brilliant. I will 100% lose the barbed fitting though haha.

Originally Posted by ricochet
I see lots of folks recommending 5W30 over the recommended 5W20. Is there added protection running the thicker weight? Also, on your recommendation I just bought the Ronin plug. That thing is brilliant. I will 100% lose the barbed fitting though haha.

It for sure isn't going hurt anything. I started using a 30 on the first oil change. Like you I plan to have this truck for a long time and wanted extra protection for engine parts like the 6 miles of timing chains we have. Your typical xW-30 PCMO like Pennzoil Platinum is on the thin side of the 30 scale so it's really not a big step.

I have the same truck,80K miles on the clock
I have a catch can and it def catches oil,always recommend one its cheap and easy to DIY

My typical oil change is Mobil 1 Extended and a wix filter,I have owned a dozen trucks and have never
had any oil do me wrong .
I did my first oil change at 1000 miles and then again every 10K

Last edited:
Yes, you have a 2015 which is not his 2019. Some things have been changed/updated. He doesn't need a catch can.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Yes, you have a 2015 which is not his 2019. Some things have been changed/updated. He doesn't need a catch can.

What changed where a catch can wouldn't give you the same benefits as earlier versions? No one NEEDED a catch can on any Coyote. Those that installed them caught nasty stuff that didn't get back into the engine. Did it make any difference is the question.

I've been using the european Mobil 1 0w40 FS with great results so far, it has no typical tick like most of them have. I was using PYB 5w30 and it ticked all the time, no ticks since upgrading to the Mobil 1. I won't use motorcraft oil filters due to all the failures shown on here so I use the Fram Ultra XG10575.

Does a 2015 need a catch can?

You should be more specific and prove what you are saying as fact instead of just blurting out something you read on the internet
as far as I can tell the catch can is still useful and being sold for newer engines.....

Last edited:
I have a 2018 5.0 and have been using QSUD 5w30. The only other oils I have used is MC 5w30 fully synthetic and M1 5w30. So far the QSUD seems to be the most quiet. A couple weeks ago I cleaned out two Tractor Supply stores when they had M1 on clearance plus 25% off, so Im stocked up for the next five years, if I dident stock up the QSUD would be my oil of choice.

Originally Posted by Excel

You should be more specific and prove what you are saying as fact instead of just blurting out something you read on the internet
as far as I can tell the catch can is still useful and being sold for newer engines.....

Fair enough. The proof would be what has already been mentioned here by me and other contributor, to wit: The catch can is no longer necessary because Ford went to a fuel injection strategy for 2018+ model yr Coyote 5.0 (referred to as 3rd gen) which features a combination of port injection and direct injection. Given that the primary reason catch cans are used on direct injection is to attempt to prevent or at least mitigate build-up on intake valves, with the introduction of port injection back into the setup for 2018+, there is now the air/fuel mixture flowing past the intake valves from the port injectors that among other things will serve to keep them clean(er) same as port injection always has vs. direct injection. Now, just how much fuel the port injectors are pulsing (IQ or Injection Quantity) depends on how Ford is implementing the combo injection strategy. Is port injection only active at idle and low rpm? Likely. Is that enough IQ to mitigate build-up on the intake valves? Unknown. What is known is the gen 3 Coyote had and still may have an issue with excessive oil consumption, at least in the F150. There are many reports and complaints of this. Ford has issued a TSB to attempt to address it. They have changed out long blocks, and more. The most recent version of TSB I believe addresses the issue with action taken with the PCV system. Since installing a catch can involves the PCV system and since Ford may have identified a cause of the complaints about excessive oil consumption as being related to something about the PCV setup in the gen 3 Coyote, then it stands to reason that interfering with the PCV setup by installing a catch can assembly may be ill advised until more is known about the reason Ford has focused on the PCV setup as the cause of the excessive oil consumption.

If I owned a Gen 3 Coyote no way no how would I install a catch can. The reason is, 1. No proof it's needed, 2. cutting into PCV system = warranty denial by Ford when/if you have the known issue of higher than normal oil consumption.

What do you think Ford's response is going to be if you bring in a 2018+ Coyote for oil consumption and it's got a catch can installed, and the oil consumption TSB is about the PCV system? I would bet Ford expects your PCV routing to be unmolested. If it is altered with an after market device, I would estimate they would deny coverage.

All of the above is why I recommended against installing a catch can on a gen 3 Coyote 5.0. Does that work for you?

As far as catch can setups "still being sold for new engines" "as far as you can tell" (who's blurting out internet stuff now?) ...of course they're going to keep being sold.

Because the sellers want to keep making money.

Sales offers, advertisements, and promotions do not always equate to maintenance best practices. They do, however, equate to continued bank deposits for the sellers.

Fair enough. The proof would be what has already been mentioned here by me and other contributor, to wit: The catch can is no longer necessary because Ford went to a fuel injection strategy for 2018+ model yr Coyote 5.0 (referred to as 3rd gen) which features a combination of port injection and direct injection. Given that the primary reason catch cans are used on direct injection is to attempt to prevent or at least mitigate build-up on intake valves, with the introduction of port injection back into the setup for 2018+, there is now the air/fuel mixture flowing past the intake valves from the port injectors that among other things will serve to keep them clean(er) same as port injection always has vs. direct injection. Now, just how much fuel the port injectors are pulsing (IQ or Injection Quantity) depends on how Ford is implementing the combo injection strategy. Is port injection only active at idle and low rpm? Likely. Is that enough IQ to mitigate build-up on the intake valves? Unknown. What is known is the gen 3 Coyote had and still may have an issue with excessive oil consumption, at least in the F150. There are many reports and complaints of this. Ford has issued a TSB to attempt to address it. They have changed out long blocks, and more. The most recent version of TSB I believe addresses the issue with action taken with the PCV system. Since installing a catch can involves the PCV system and since Ford may have identified a cause of the complaints about excessive oil consumption as being related to something about the PCV setup in the gen 3 Coyote, then it stands to reason that interfering with the PCV setup by installing a catch can assembly may be ill advised until more is known about the reason Ford has focused on the PCV setup as the cause of the excessive oil consumption.

If I owned a Gen 3 Coyote no way no how would I install a catch can. The reason is, 1. No proof it's needed, 2. cutting into PCV system = warranty denial by Ford when/if you have the known issue of higher than normal oil consumption.

What do you think Ford's response is going to be if you bring in a 2018+ Coyote for oil consumption and it's got a catch can installed, and the oil consumption TSB is about the PCV system? I would bet Ford expects your PCV routing to be unmolested. If it is altered with an after market device, I would estimate they would deny coverage.

All of the above is why I recommended against installing a catch can on a gen 3 Coyote 5.0. Does that work for you?

As far as catch can setups "still being sold for new engines" "as far as you can tell" (who's blurting out internet stuff now?) ...of course they're going to keep being sold.

Sales offers, advertisements, and promotions do not always equate to maintenance best practices. They do, however, equate to continued bank deposits for the sellers.

I would not bring my vehicle to any dealer looking for warranty work (engine related)with aftermarket bolt on's under the hood..You posted valid reasons now the
viewer can make up he/shes own mind..

We have three newer Ford 5.0's in our family. My 2014 Mustang GT, my fiancée's 2017 F150, and her son's 2014 F150. All three of them use Motorcraft 5W-20 and the Motorcraft FL500s filter.

Her son's truck has the most mileage with about 190,000 miles and he goes by the OLM to change the oil which is always between 9-10K miles. He works for the railroad and drives a lot of miles to get to his job sites. His truck just had to have new cam phasers installed because they were making noise and new timing chains and some other parts were also installed just because of the mileage and since they were already inside there. Other than this, his truck runs great and this is the first time it's ever had any repairs done to it.

My Mustang only has about 31,000 miles on it and runs great with very minimal oil usage. I have been following the OLM or one year on oil changes, whatever comes first.

My fiancée's truck only has about 17,000 miles on it and it typically gets an oil change once a year because it's not driven much but on this last change it went by the OLM which was right under 10K miles. We took it on several vacation trips last year and her son borrowed it for a couple of weeks while his truck was being worked on.

I wouldn't hesitate to use Motorcraft in this engine. My fiancée is a long time Motorcraft user and also uses it in her 2007 Mustang GT and also used Motorcraft 10w-30 diesel oil in her 2003 6.0 Superduty she bought new and owned prior to the F150. That truck also never had any oil related issues at 5,000 mile oil changes. It had 96,000 miles on it when she sold it.

I know this is an old topic, but the gen 1 and 2 coyote engines don’t have direct injection. They added direct injection in 2018. Sorry, found the topic searching for oil for my 2016 lol.

Back