2019 Ford F-150 5.0 Oil Recommendation

Hello everyone!

I recently purchased my first new vehicle, in the title of the thread. I'm currently sitting at 1300 miles and starting to research what others have found successful with these motors in terms of oil. To start with, it is my intention to own this truck until it actually falls apart. To that end I am willing to pay a premium for regular high quality oil changes and will be doing the work myself @5k miles or sooner. I've already noted to keep detailed records of my oil changes for warranty purposes. My uses for the truck are as a daily driver, I put roughly 75 miles a day, 70 of them highway miles. No towing during the week, but I own a 16' boat that weigh's
Any recommendations on oil, or a pattern of experimentation with various oils and analysis to find the best options is greatly appreciated. I did look through the posts, but was unable to find anything for this particular engine. The manual states Motorcraft 5W-20 which I am fine with, but also wanted to see if there are "better" options that would provide tangible benefits as opposed to just brand loyalty. I have use pretty much every flavor of oil and in my previous vehicle (Honda CRV) found no real change across brands but also did not apply any kind of empirical standard to the process because it was a beater work car.

Pennzoil Platinum/Mobil1/whatever syn with a rebate and change when the monitor says. I'd do the first change at 5K.

Last edited:
My brother bought a new 2019 F150 and it has the 5.0 and a 6.5' bed. The truck is a rocket ship when you stomp on it. If it was my truck, I'd make sure to use something that the Ford approval spec in question along with a Motorcraft oil filter. Pennzoil Platinum comes to mind. He went out of his way to get one with the 6.5' bed and tow mirrors.

[Linked Image]

Whatever is cheaper in the store or online, and skip the 'rebates' because 40% of rebate submissions are rejected or just plain lost.

Aside from that shop on price, follow the same grade, service interval and spec that it says in your owner manual, and make the oil companies compete for your business every time you change the oil.

There have been whole long threads on Bob of people agonizing for months over Mobil rebates, myself included, many never getting the rebate at all, getting rejected, lost in the mail, spending more than 10 bucks of your own valuable time on the phone arguing with them, submitting the paperwork 2-3 times....

I have a 15 5.0 I bought new. Love the truck and the engine. If your doing 75 miles a day I would suggest any 0-20 or 5-20 or 5-30 from any of the reputable brands. I use M1 0-20 or 5-30 just because it gives me piece of mind. I did factory dump at 1500 miles. 5k thereafter but started doing 6k and did a 7500 or so OCI this summer. Just me but if you feel good with 5k OCI I would look to SuperTech. It has been on my mind to just do the 5k and use Super Tech for a while.

Yes, I overthink oil like so many on this site!!

I would install an oil catch can and go with what ever syn that's on sell as long as it meets the specs.

The owners manual is the source for the oil specs and servicing sooner is better than later. I like my p/us

Originally Posted by avi1777
I would install an oil catch can and go with what ever syn that's on sell as long as it meets the specs.
Why the oil catch can?

First and foremost, great truck purchase, congrats. Ford has it together when it comes to the F150 it's their bread and butter. But, and there's always a but isn't there?.... but just check the oil level often for a while. There's a TSB out for excessive oil consumption on the 2018 and 2019 F150 5.0's. I believe a fix has been found, related to the PCV system possibly. The most recent TSB could be PCV related, I can't remember.

I would absolutely NOT install a catch can on the 5.0 both because it's not necessary as Skyactiv stated due to the combo port injection direct injection layout, and especially since the oil consumption TSB may deal with the PCV system I would not do anything to interrupt the PCV setup like a catch can install does.

Congrats!
I second LoneRanger, no need for a catch can - you're just adding weight. Any approved 5W-20 will be fine, but since you asked...

VAS 5W-20
M1 EP 5W-20
Kendall GT1 MAX 5W-20

And enjoy your truck!

Last edited:
I can't tell you how long it took me to find the crew cab with the 6.5' bed. It was really obnoxious. It looks like the Pennzoil has a $10 rebate, and with each OCI taking like 9 quarts I'm going to have to really consider stocking up haha!

EDIT: Also does anyone know if Amazon/Walmart is a participating retailer for the Pennzoil rebates? AZ website is slow and I hate talking to kid behind the counter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by avi1777
didnt know its port and di my bad.
no catch can needed.
enjoy it's one mean machine.

People have been putting catch cans on Coyotes since they came out. The can offers benefits. Will you see the difference? Maybe, maybe not. I never put one on mine.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That F150 holds 9 quarts? You can do longer than 5K OCIs with a sump that size. Try 7K with 5w30 syn of your choice.

5.0 has a 10K OCI depending on usage, unless they changed it with the newer versions. Looking at UOA the engine is easy on oil. 10K with a quality syn is a piece of cake.

Im a huge SOPUS fan, so I would naturally say -- go that route synthetic. But -- hard to beat Super Tech Full Synthetic prices paired with a Motorcraft filter.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
That F150 holds 9 quarts? You can do longer than 5K OCIs with a sump that size. Try 7K with 5w30 syn of your choice.

7K is not much If the OP does a looong commute on the HW.

In that instance 10K would be super easy.

But does ford have an OLM or set mileage/time limits?

Last edited:
Back