2019 4 runner oil

My Daughter just bought a used 2019 4 runner with 22k.
It calls for 0w 20 oil. I believe it specifies synthetic.
She bought it at a toyota dealer, they changed the oil per the carfax and gave her years of free oil changes.
My question would the toyota dealer have used synthetic ?
Going forward at next free change I will have her ask.
I'm also reading mixed oil change intervals. Anyone know the average time when the light comes on ?
I'm thinking 7500 is a good safe change interval.
Thanks in advance

“Most” 0w20 oils are synthetic there could be a few that are not.

Oil change mileage may be dictated by the dealer doing the free ones. So again that’s something that will be in the paper work or verbally told by them.

4Runner engine are good. Will last a long time.

My Daughter just bought a used 2019 4 runner with 22k.
It calls for 0w 20 oil. I believe it specifies synthetic.
She bought it at a toyota dealer, they changed the oil per the carfax and gave her years of free oil changes.
My question would the toyota dealer have used synthetic ?
Going forward at next free change I will have her ask.
I'm also reading mixed oil change intervals. Anyone know the average time when the light comes on ?
I'm thinking 7500 is a good safe change interval.
Thanks in advance

If it was 0w20, it was synthetic.
I change mine out around 7k. I know you can go 10k because my friends both do it on theirs, at the dealer, then. Zero issues.

If you decide to do it yourself, your best cost-effective option (currently) is Wal-Mart's Havoline 6-quart box for $20.

Ok thanks
I'm used to 5w 30 which is conventional, syn blend and synthetic. Good to know 0w 20 syn only.

The manual allows for 5w30 for warranty. I used that for the longest time on my mom’s 2015, but now it gets 0w40 with a Toyota filter and crush/ fiber washer.

I plan to change it every 5k, but it never works out that way so the buffer is nice.

The dealer probably used some kinda bulk oil, which isn't bad.
I would buy whatever 0w20 is on sale, or just hit Costco and get Kirkland.
Buy a MityVac and service oil at 5K to 6K, swap filter every other service.

Nice ride!

The Genuine Toyota Motor Oil is a good synthetic 0W20 and that engine is easy on oil. The Toyota dealerships that serviced my Tundra during its free oil changes changed it at 5,000 (flex fuel requirement) and used Genuine Toyota Motor Oil.

I wouldn't worry about changing the oil before 10,000 miles nor would I worry about using the Toyota Motor Oil at that interval.

I used 5w-30 in mine, no loss of mpg or power. If you are already using 5w-30 it makes sense to stock only 1 grade.

Overseas, the 4.0 owners manual shows up to 20w-50.

Looks like filter is p.i.t.a to change
I mentioned this in another thread - don't over torque those skid plates when going for the filter. They strip VERY easily. Mine went when I had to have dealer work done for a KDSS bushing...they torqued the you know what out of the and I had to retap 3 of them.

Looks like filter is p.i.t.a to change
It is. Skid plate in the way unless you completetly take it off each time. Even if you jack it up has been my experience. On my wife's i use a 20k rated filter and change it every other time.

It is. Skid plate in the way unless you completetly take it off each time. Even if you jack it up has been my experience. On my wife's i use a 20k rated filter and change it every other time.
Yeah, I took mine off. That oil change took me an average of an hour, whereas my wife's CX-5 is about 25 minutes, only longer if you let the drips go for a while. I was grateful for the 10k mile OCI because that skid plate and canister filter took all the fun out of it.

I am surprised that Toyota didn’t engineer a smaller access plate to speed up the process both for the do it yourself crowd and the service techs. The CX5 has a access in the plastic splash shield that works perfectly exposing the drain plug and filter.

I am surprised that Toyota didn’t engineer a smaller access plate to speed up the process both for the do it yourself crowd and the service techs. The CX5 has a access in the plastic splash shield that works perfectly exposing the drain plug and filter.
And the non dual VVTi 4.0L V6 had the filter on top which was amazing. I don't have near enough engine knowledge to know why that difference in that engine necessitated a completely different oil filter location.

Throw some supertech syn 5w-30 in it and it'll be fine. Believe the manual allows for a grade up. i believe that newer Toyota doesn't use the cartridge filter but the old style canister now.

Throw some supertech syn 5w-30 in it and it'll be fine. Believe the manual allows for a grade up. i believe that newer Toyota doesn't use the cartridge filter but the old style canister now.

The 5th gen 4Runner (2010-to the current 2022) uses a cartridge oil filter.

The only real issue with the oil change, is 'lube tech' hacks, who are in a hurry, stripping, cross-threading, or just over-torquing fasteners, and/or the cartridge filter cap. With the proper tools, and competence, it's not that hard of a job.

And the non dual VVTi 4.0L V6 had the filter on top which was amazing. I don't have near enough engine knowledge to know why that difference in that engine necessitated a completely different oil filter location.

With the different cylinder heads on the Dual VVT-i 1GR-FE, there wasn't a place for the top mounted oil canister as on the Single VVT-i 1GR-FE.

Back