2018 VW Tiguan 215/65/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our VW Tiguan has 39k on it and OEM Conti ProContact TX tires are quite worn for winter traction (approaching wear bars and one tire at wear bars).

I have no complaints about the Conti's however was considering a more winter biased all-season:

Contenders in my mind that has Snowflake rating:
Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready - $170 installed but has $100 rebated on/off a lot across 4 tires
Nokian WR G4 - somehow are $93/each at Walmart.com and install I believe is under $20/itre Firestone Weathergrip - new tire no reviews cheaper then Goodyear by $20/tire

I don't want to swap into winter tires because we drive too many miles 30k/year.

Suggestions?

I have the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady tires on currently (about 5k miles now) and they've been great. Don't see much snow down here, obviously, but they've handled flood like conditions exceptionally well. They're also a very quiet tire.

Sounds like the same tire life I get (40k). Dunno about avoiding snows, isn't it the same cost per mile in the end? You'll drive the tread off off either in 40k and not age them out. I thought the do-all tires traded capability for shorter tire life.

I'd probably go Nokian even though I didn't like the first gen WR's I had (but that was long ago). Maybe cross check with Vianor Tire, last I knew they sold Nokian tires.

Driving a lot of miles annually is a good reason to have a winter set of wheels/tires.

Nokians do have a habit of wearing fairly quickly despite their wear ratings. Consumer Reports called them out on it on their original Entyre tire, so you might not get to see 2 winters out of a Nokian WR G4 SUV tire.

They're putting Giti tires on the Tiguan now! Talk about cost cutting.
lol.gif

Our 2019 came with Bridgestone Ecopia 422. They seem like a pretty decent tire. We don't get the winter weather down here. When the time comes to replace them, I am going to put on some Hankook Dynapro HPs.

Last edited:
interesting, the 215/65r17 is only the regular car WR G4.

215/65r16 gets the WR G4 SUV with the Kevlar reinforced sidewalls, which costs more.

If you're only going to use one set of tires year-round, get the WRG4 at Walmart
smile.gif

But with the amount of miles you put on, winter tires actually are worth it

Originally Posted by madRiver
Our VW Tiguan has 39k on it and OEM Conti ProContact TX tires are quite worn for winter traction (approaching wear bars and one tire at wear bars).

I have no complaints about the Conti's however was considering a more winter biased all-season:

Goodyear Assurance Weather Ready - $170 installed but has $100 rebated on/off a lot across 4 tires
Nokian WR G4 - somehow are $93/each at Walmart.com and install I believe is under $20/itre Firestone Weathergrip - new tire no reviews cheaper then Goodyear by $20/tire

I don't want to swap into winter tires because we drive too many miles 30k/year.

Suggestions?

I did not even know that 215/65 R17 is an option? I have during winter 215/65 R16.
In winter of those 3, Nokian will do best that is for sure. Probably Good Year will have overall most civilized behavior. But GY are sometimes hit or miss.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Suggestions?

I did not even know that 215/65 R17 is an option? I have during winter 215/65 R16.
In winter of those 3, Nokian will do best that is for sure. Probably Good Year will have overall most civilized behavior. But GY are sometimes hit or miss.

OP has a 2018+ MQB Tiguan, hence the 215/65r17 tires.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by edyvw

Suggestions?

OP has a 2018+ MQB Tiguan, hence the 215/65r17 tires.

Oh, my mistake with year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back