2018 VW Sportwagen 52K 6K OCI Liquimoly Molygen 5W40 w/track use

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
I did a mid-OCI UOA check on this oil that I posted last month. This oil has several track days on it with triple-digit mph sustained use as well as a mountain hooning run with elevated oil temps. This oil was also put in just before I swapped in a new larger turbo and some other associated bolt-ons (larger intercooler and charge pipes/hoses). I've included my tracking tables/graphs to-date. This oil definately saw the most viscosity drop as a % of the VOA I did of any of my changes. Wear metals remain low but did see a slight tick up from the new turbo. Silicon also ticked up likely due to sealers etc. from the new hardware and not the K&N filter on my open intake. My current fill is Mobil 1 0W40 so will be interested to see how it fairs after a similar 5-6K run in terms of viscosity shearing. I have a more mild track day on the new oil but won't likely have as much severe use as the subject oil of this post. I like the Molygen due to the tungsten/moly friction modifier compound it contains but I don't think it holds up quite as well from a viscosity standpoint as the Leichtlauf High Tech I was using which I did boost with some Ceratec and MoS2 - really just need to change it out sooner is what that tells me. I get my oil kits from FCP Euro and use their lifetime replacement so these are free to me now that I get my return shipping refunded b/c I use Paypal.

18 GOLF SW-201213-page-001.jpg
oil1.JPG
oil2.JPG
oil3.JPG
_23A4283.JPG

That most recent run is not impressive next to the others for sure. That is a LOT of shear. Walmart Castrol would have done better than that and I expect the Mobil you just put in will as well.

What were the previous UOA's, a different Liqui Moly?

That most recent run is not impressive next to the others for sure. That is a LOT of shear. Walmart Castrol would have done better than that and I expect the Mobil you just put in will as well.

What were the previous UOA's, a different Liqui Moly?
If you look at one of those tables I posted, it has all the details of each oil I've used and tested. I agree, the Molygen doesn't seem to hold up as well as the Leichtlauf High Tech (data in table) but I've seen some UOAs from other MQB VWs with M1 that look about the same w/r to shear.....we will see and let the data speak for itself! I use the dealer Castrol 5W40 in our Atlas and it shears down at about the same level.

Sorry I missed that. With Castrol 5w40 I get an end result in the mid 11's cst @ 100, but I don't track and it's not a turbo either.

Sorry I missed that. With Castrol 5w40 I get an end result in the mid 11's cst @ 100, but I don't track and it's not a turbo either.
I think that's the root of it, my Sportwagen is driven hard, is making 2x the stock power levels so the shear is going to happen, or at least that's my hypothesis based on a lot of UOAs I've seen for a variety of oils. I always figure it's basically a 30w after a short while which is fine in these cars as all of the VW504 00 oils are 30s. Again, will be interesting to see how the M1 performs! Either way, I'll likely go back to LM Leichtauf High Tech and run Ceratec to get that friction modifer back that I'm loosing with the tungsten in the Molygen.

I still reckon you should run the 5w50 Molygen, especially if you are still using some ethanol blends. Interested to see how the M1 goes.
That is another way to do it - go with the heavier Molygen, can give that a shot too!

@KCJeep

I've liked Castrol 5W-40 too but the current fill of PP Euro 5W-40 gives me more confidence being 90% GTL and API SP + ACEA A3/B4 along with all the manufacturer approvals.

Last edited:
Castrol 5w40 has been tweaked the last couple of years and it carries more approvals than it used to. But it is still an entirely Grp III oil, no GTL or PAO at all.

Back