2018 Silverado 3500 Brake Life

My 2018 1 Ton has 118k miles on it. I do some towing, but not a lot. The truck gets a good mix of town and highway miles.

I just rotated my tires and I have 8mm of brake pad material on the front, 9-10mm on the rears. Rotors look great and every spring I disassemble, clean, and lube the calipers to prevent anything from sticking

Am I really going to get 200k miles out of the original factory brakes? This is my first HD Silverado. Yes, I bought the truck new in April 2018....

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675966542541.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675966542541.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 23
Your experience mirrors my own experience with F350's. They cost very little more than a half ton new, use more gas, but are trouble free and long lasting. Also, it's nice to be able to rent a skid steer and not hear your truck is too small.

My old 02 2500HD was like that. I changed them just because the parts were 17 years old and figured it was time. They had TONS of life left.

My old 02 2500HD was like that. I changed them just because the parts were 17 years old and figured it was time. They had TONS of life left.

Do you remember how many miles you had on your brakes before you changed them?

Sounds about right for a heavy duty application that’s being taken care of.

Our fleet of ram promasters were purchased as 2500s, which I hear have much better brakes and a few things are beef’d up. Our drivers beat and abuse our vehicles to the point most of them need brakes every 5-7k miles, but these ram promaster brakes are making it beyond 30k so far (I’ve only replaced a couple due to broken sensors and/or excessive noise).

Seems to be common for heavy duty stuff to last quite a bit longer.

My old work truck was a 2016 2500hd had the factory brakes on it at 150k when it was replaced In 2021. It weighed over 9k the whole time. Got 70k out of the factory off road tires and only had 10k on the third set of tires put on it when it went back.

Depends, don't last too many miles in stop and go traffic, stop lights, traffic jams, etc.

Drive cross country east and west on the interstates staying away from the coasts and traffic and they will last and last.

My 2018 1 Ton has 118k miles on it. I do some towing, but not a lot. The truck gets a good mix of town and highway miles.

I just rotated my tires and I have 8mm of brake pad material on the front, 9-10mm on the rears. Rotors look great and every spring I disassemble, clean, and lube the calipers to prevent anything from sticking

Am I really going to get 200k miles out of the original factory brakes? This is my first HD Silverado. Yes, I bought the truck new in April 2018....
Not around here with stop signs and stoplights every 2 blocks or so. Heavy traffic on the highway in rush hour (stop and go) doesn't help either. Keep it going!

My 2001 2500HD made it to 152k miles when I changed the pads. Also changed the rotors, but since almost all miles were done inland in Florida (zero rust), that was totally unnecessary - probably could have gotten twice that or more out of those rotors - 27 lb each in the front, lots of steel.

Cleaning and lubricating caliper slides and pins is good. I did not do that for the first few years on my Sierra and ended up with a lot of pad wear on one side at the front. Thought it was a sticking caliper till I eventually figured out it was the slides.
Now I clean and lubricate yearly.

Back