2018 Durango SRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
They've finally announced it (much to the excitement of my wife...)

Car and Driver article

Quote:
SRT has been busy with SUVs. First, it’s dropping this six-passenger Dodge Durango SRT on the Chicago-show table like it was a six-pound, sauce-on-top Lou Malnati’s pie. And then FCA’s go-fast division is expected to unleash the Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk at the New York auto show in April. If you don't like these, you probably don't like pizza, either.

SRT essentially grafted the Grand Cherokee SRT’s powertrain into this Durango. Motive force comes by way of the same pushrod 6.4-liter Hemi V-8, pumping out 475 horsepower at 6000 rpm and 470 lb-ft of torque at 4300 rpm. ZF’s ubiquitous eight-speed automatic, along with a transfer case capable of varying the torque split between the front and rear axles, shuttles that output to all four wheels. Pirelli 295/45R-20 all-season rubber is standard, but stickier Pirelli P Zero summer tires are optional. SRT says the big 6.4-liter will deliver a zero-to-60-mph time of 4.4 seconds and a quarter-mile of 12.9 seconds. But those claims come with a caveat of NHRA certification, so one can only assume those numbers are generated on a high-friction drag-strip surface, because the last Grand Cherokee SRT we tested—which, according to SRT, is 406 pounds lighter than this Dodge—returned times of 4.4 and a 13.0 seconds. Under street conditions, we expect the 5500-plus-pound Durango to sprint to 60 in 4.6 seconds on its way to a 13.4-second quarter.

Quote:
The quickest of General Motors’ big Cadillac Escalade/Chevrolet Tahoe/GMC Yukon SUVs can’t come close to the performance we expect from the SRT Dodge. Buyers looking to better the SRT’s pace with a three-row SUV will have to look to more expensive alternatives, such as the $125,025 Mercedes-AMG GLS63. Undercutting pricier competition has long been the SRT credo with its in-house hot rods, and that hasn’t changed. Pricing is still to be determined, but we expect the Durango SRT to start just under $70,000.

The engineers didn’t stop with straight-line performance, spending many laps at Virginia International Raceway chasing handling goals. To reach the objectives, the chassis engineers installed revised bushings, slightly stiffer springs, a stouter rear anti-roll bar, and adaptive dampers for the control-arm front and multilink rear suspensions. Depending what drive mode is selected (there are eight: Street, Sport, Track, Snow, Tow, Valet, Eco, and a customizable option), the dampers adjust their firmness, and the viscous clutch in the transfer case directs as much as 70 percent of available torque rearward. (That number is in Track mode; in Snow and Tow modes, the front-to-rear torque split is 50/50.) The braking hardware is upgraded to six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers grabbing 15.0- and 13.8-inch slotted rotors.

Nice package, and definitely drool worthy. Just wouldn't want a Fiat product after warranty.
Good luck on maintaining those unique, expensive bits.

Originally Posted By: Danno
Nice package, and definitely drool worthy. Just wouldn't want a Fiat product after warranty.

MAxcare Chrysler is your pit crew!

I would question underneath the body how many parts were actually engineered by Fiat-out of Italy.

This isn't a Fiat 500. I agree with VTNS above-MaxCare would cover you for anything wallet breaking-if it were to break.

Last edited:
This is a Mercedes-derived product in terms of the chassis and suspension bits, the powertrain consists of standard Jeep stuff and the ZF 8spd and the engine is the 6.4L used in a myriad of other Chrysler products. I don't think there's any FIAT DNA in this vehicle
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
This is a Mercedes-derived product in terms of the chassis and suspension bits, the powertrain consists of standard Jeep stuff and the ZF 8spd and the engine is the 6.4L used in a myriad of other Chrysler products. I don't think there's any FIAT DNA in this vehicle
21.gif

That's what I though but wasn't 100% sure. I know of several 200,000 mile Durangos out there both with the Hemi and the next down smaller V8.

Not quite sure about the point of reliability being questioned.

Just relating experiences my 2 friends with recent JGC problems, that the dealer has not been able to correct while in warranty. Owners and Tony will become close friends.
F.I.A.T.

Spoken as though you never had one.

Mine was purchased new in August 05 and went straight to the strip at 800 miles. Ran a handful of high 12's exactly as delivered.

Today, over 200 passes and dozens of road course track days it has had a light trans refresh, I installed a 3600 rpm converter from Paramount. 106k miles to date. One of the solidest cars I have ever known in over 40 years of chasing speed...

Very nice. FCA is the only company that wants to take on the Germans in this market segment. Well done!

Any vehicle with any size Hemi and the 8 speed trans is a nice combination.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Very nice. FCA is the only company that wants to take on the Germans in this market segment. Well done!

Well this generation Durango was designed by Mercedes when they owned Chrysler.

That's awesome. I've come around to Chrysler, they've stepped up their game majorly since the mid 2000's.

I'd have no problems owning a modern Chrysler, depending on the car such as not the new Cherokee.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nice interior - looks better than Charger SRT's interior, IMO.

It is basically the same as the Jeep's, now you understand my comments on that one
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back