2018 charger ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by sloinker
If the OE wants something more bulletproof I would stay away from the subies and head for the Toyotas.

I never mentioned Subarus; maybe you should check your bias. I clearly referenced OPs success with Honda's and suggested he check those out, especially since OP didn't mention wanting to purchase an appliance with 4 wheels and no personality (every Toyota outside of the BMW Supra). BTW, you do realize your beloved Toyota owns a very healthy portion of Subaru (formerly Fuji Heavy Industries)?

Check my bias? That's funny. Read your original responding post.

I'm obviously not as smart as you, so please point it out. I brought light to Mopar's reliability problems and... wait for it, the OP's high mileage on two previous Hondas being a good reference point:

Originally Posted by Me
IMO there's a good reason why previous owner got rid of it at 47k. Forecast reliability is nowhere near what I'd consider getting into when a long payment plan is involved; best of luck with your choice and probable purchase though. You seem to have had pretty good luck with Hondas... nothing there suits your fancy?

If you can show proof that Mopars have good reliability, please point us to it; in the same vein, if you have proof that Hondas (pre-Earth Dreams of course) do not, please point us to that as well. I'd be happy to change my mind if this proof exists.

Here's my opinion/experience:

My brother owned a 2015 Charger, just got rid of it with 72K miles.

The Good:

-Amazing powertrain. 3.6/8spd is a wonderful combo
-Rode well and reasonably quiet
-He loved it for long trips.
-Very good mpg for the size, especially highway trips

The Bad:

-A few electrical issues. ABS system and tire sensors quit working
-Interior door panels were curling outward from the top of door.

Overall, he liked the car but the electrical issues were nonstop. He traded for a Rav4. I will say his was a base SE(not sure if interior materials are better as you go up in trim). Also, the Phoenix sun is pretty brutal although i have never seen a door panel peel away like that before, especially after just a few years.

I actually liked the powertrain so much that I bought a Ram with the same one.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

I'm obviously not as smart as you, so please point it out. I brought light to Mopar's reliability problems and... wait for it, the OP's high mileage on two previous Hondas being a good reference point:

Originally Posted by Me
IMO there's a good reason why previous owner got rid of it at 47k. Forecast reliability is nowhere near what I'd consider getting into when a long payment plan is involved; best of luck with your choice and probable purchase though. You seem to have had pretty good luck with Hondas... nothing there suits your fancy?

If you can show proof that Mopars have good reliability, please point us to it; in the same vein, if you have proof that Hondas (pre-Earth Dreams of course) do not, please point us to that as well. I'd be happy to change my mind if this proof exists.

I pointed him towards Toyota's, but Honda's are historically good, long lasting and relatively trouble free too. Don't think I said otherwise. And yes, I am smarter than you.

Originally Posted by super20dan
anyone moving from a honda to a base model charger will be disappointed

I don't see where he said it was a base model
confused.gif
Anyway... even the "base model" can have AWD, Adaptive cruise, BSM, heated seats, heated steering wheel, leather, etc etc etc.

Originally Posted by super20dan
anyone moving from a honda to a base model charger will be disappointed

First, OP is not moving from Honda.
Second, people have different reasons for moving to a different vehicle. For some, there is more to a car than just purported reliability.

I moved from Honda many years ago and was never disappointed with that decision. Buying one turned out to be a mistake.

In my circle of cars I can speak on a 2012 Charger, 2019 Charger, and a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi.

I would caution you to be prepared for radio/touchscreen/electronica issues. All three of these are the base model units and they are glitchy. The two chargers simply shut down and restart for no reason whatsoever. The truck freezes up if you hit a button twice within 3-4 seconds. Obviously across 7 model years this is a supply and software issue. The units with nav and touch screens are even worse.

The 2012 charger had the front suspension replaced early on due to junk parts in the front end from the factory that broke under 10k miles. The 19 charger has had some issues with random check engine lights. The truck is rock solid except for the radio.

I like them all and would buy again but there are some issues. Mostly el cheapo china electronics and substandard software.

I don't know about that. I would rather have a v8 charger than any Accord ever made. What is funny is that the v8 charger gets the about the same mileage as a v6 accord and it drives the correct wheels.

Originally Posted by joel95ex
Originally Posted by oldhp
Check and see how much a new 2019 Charger would cost with all the rebates going on now. You might be surprised.

yes the brand new ones are barely more expensive right now, but this one has all of the extras (which i don't care about, but i won't be driving it.) the original sticker was $31k and they're asking just under 21

Buy one with V8.

Originally Posted by milwaukee
In my circle of cars I can speak on a 2012 Charger, 2019 Charger, and a 2017 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi.

I would caution you to be prepared for radio/touchscreen/electronica issues. All three of these are the base model units and they are glitchy. The two chargers simply shut down and restart for no reason whatsoever. The truck freezes up if you hit a button twice within 3-4 seconds. Obviously across 7 model years this is a supply and software issue. The units with nav and touch screens are even worse.

The 2012 charger had the front suspension replaced early on due to junk parts in the front end from the factory that broke under 10k miles. The 19 charger has had some issues with random check engine lights. The truck is rock solid except for the radio.

I like them all and would buy again but there are some issues. Mostly el cheapo china electronics and substandard software.

For my 8.4 uconnect the only issue I experienced was the screen would reboot every once in a while like 3 times a year. YMMV.

14 Ram here, 90k miles, zero Uconnect issues. Actually love the system. Over the air updates are very cool stuff. Lots of awesome features IMO. This truck has got a battery, new tires, and brakes since new. GREAT reliability.

My sig car is an 06 purchased new in August of 05 with just shy of 110k miles. Over 200 drag strip passes, tons of track days, 6 sets of tires, fantastic reliability IMO especially when compared with ANY 180 mph sedan available at any price.

My advice to the OP is simple. Make your own decision and buy what you like. Avoid sterile, anodyne appliances, get something that makes you smile!

Uconnect is by far the best interface in the business. Best maps if you get navigation, easy to operate and use with minimal input while driving. Also allows a lot of customization and OTA updates.

I really like the Uconnect as well. Very easy to use and navigate. My '19 Ram also has the Android auto, which I'm liking so far.

I personally don't care for Uconnect, mainly because I don't like touch screens. First problem is that you have to reach for the screen instead of having the controls somewhere closer by, like near the arm rest. Second problem is finger prints, but that's just my personal OCD.

Map graphics are also rather primitive, compared to MMI in wife's Q5. But functionality is fine.

Many (most?) UConnect issues can be resolved by simply updating it. I've had limited luck with OTA updates, so I always make sure it is the latest version from driveuconnect.com

We've owned several vehicles now with this interface and I've had zero headunit issues with any of them:
- 2014 Charger SRT
- 2016 Durango Limited
- 2016 Grand Cherokee SRT
- 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn
- 2019 RAM 1500 Sport

I've also updated the owner and VP's trucks at the office via a USB stick, as well as the owner's wife's Grand Cherokee. Gets rid of gitchiness and on some of the older ones, adds features.

I didn't own the Charger long enough to really comment on reliability. It had the VCT oil pressure sensor go bad on it, that's the only issue I recall. Our 2006 Charger was an excellent car, which we traded when we got the Durango.

Have 4 U-Connect 8.4's in my cars, never an issue.

Listen to SteveSRT8, good advice!

3.6 PUG with 8HP50 in a nice Charger is a well proven combo, rides much better than FWD east-west cars, plus has a real trunk and large interior!

So-during our last snow storm (9 inches) there were five Utah Highway Patrol Officer's vehicles hit at speed by drivers sliding out of control on the snow and ice-on the Interstate. Most drive the Challengers and I was commenting to my wife how well these vehicles hold up during such a crash.

BTW-no Officers were hurt.

Just thought I would pass this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back