2018 Audi S4 requires 0W-20 oil! And used 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: knerml
There are several options for VAG-508, including Mobil 1 ESP x2 0W-20.

Available online at Walmart.

Thanks for all your responses guys... will defenetely change for peace of mind...

Knerml you have a link because I could not find it...

JC

Originally Posted By: plaguef
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Rest assured that Audi will go after denying a warranty claim of any kind with all the expertise they can bring especially if it's expensive. And any time you even touch an Audi engine, running gear or the electrical system it will be expensive. Don't take the slightest chance no matter how remote of giving Audi an out if there's a problem. Change the oil and keep good records of everything concerning your car. Lose anything to do with that other oil. I absolutely did not hurt anything and it's possible that it's the better choice for your car just not the required oil.

Very well said.

Keep in mind that Audi is in the VAG that's Volkswagen Audi Group of vehicles and they are rather famous for warranty shenanigans, up to and including denying repairs of Check Engine Lights on in brand new cars sitting on the showroom floor.

Don't give them anything they can use.

If you must, buy an Audi once and get it out of your system while you're young and have time to recover. They are wonderful driving cars, possibly the best of the best, an engineer's wet dream, a mechanic's nightmare and when problems arise, an owner's armageddon. Audi expects owners to be grateful for being accorded the privilege of owning one of "their cars" and when you return to the dealership you are expected to stand in line, follow instructions, pay the bill with humility and return on schedule. It's all part of the "experience".

If you must, buy an Audi once and get it out of your system while you're young and have time to recover. They are wonderful driving cars, possibly the best of the best, an engineer's wet dream, a mechanic's nightmare and when problems arise, an owner's armageddon. Audi expects owners to be grateful for being accorded the privilege of owning one of "their cars" and when you return to the dealership you are expected to stand in line, follow instructions, pay the bill with humility and return on schedule. It's all part of the "experience".

How many Audis have you owned?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That 5W-40 stretched the engine out. If you go back to 0W-20, you'll have a massive drop in oil pressure.

What!? Is this true?

That 5W-40 stretched the engine out.

LOL! Please do elaborate for us.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
That 5W-40 stretched the engine out.

LOL! Please do elaborate for us.
smile.gif

We all know Merk' is at has best when...

Trolling.gif

OP, congrats on a gem of a car. I'd change to the approved oil if for no other reason than it's the only thing approved for that engine, as far as we know.

How many Audis have you owned?

One (1) and I learned my lesson. Audi treated us like the enemy. At the time the car was my wife's DD and since I was traveling a lot she took it to the dealer for all its service. The dealership owner, Alan Johnson was a friend as were a lot of the service people. They all tried to help but Audi stood us off. Alan comped most of the work and my wife paid a discounted price for the parts. When we sold that Audi we both said, "never again". The car was great to drive but the electrical system was a booby trap. I had to add extra grounds and wire the fuel pump away from the fuse block with its own fuse. Several of the dealership mechanics got ahold of the same ground straps from a boat supply house and would do the same fix to customer cars. If not the open grounds would cause the alternator to overcharge the battery frying both the alternator and the battery. The fuel pump connection in the fuse box would fry the whole block. So, Audi....never again.

Well, I can certainly understand how one sour apple can turn you completely off a brand. I kind of felt the same way after owning a Honda once. I know most people love and swear by them, but I guess I just had bad luck, to the point where I am not willing to give Honda another chance. And that was 17 years ago.

On the other hand, my experience with my own '01 A4 and wife's current '15 Q5 has been good. Sure, each brand has its quirks, just like some Japanese cars and some Americans, so it's just a matter of what you are used to. Having a trusted knowledgeable indy mechanic is important if you plan on keeping it past warranty. A lot of techs know how to work on domestics. Not that many know how to work on Euro cars.

Originally Posted By: James_Cole

Thanks for all your responses guys... will defenetely change for peace of mind...

JC

https://www.mobil.com/English-DK/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W-20

Note - When VAG-502 first came out, oil was hard to find in the US.

Last edited:
That 5W-40 stretched the engine out. If you go back to 0W-20, you'll have a massive drop in oil pressure.

What!? Is this true?

No. He's a tolling dolt...

JC

https://www.mobil.com/English-DK/Passenger-Vehicle-Lube/pds/GLXXMobil-1-ESP-x2-0W-20

Note - When VAG-502 first came out, oil was hard to find in the US.

Impressive pour point at -60F, I'm assuming it's mostly PAO and AN's....

Mobil 1 ESP x2 0w-20 still has an HTHS of 2.6, not 3.5...(that number is a deal breaker for many Bitogers, as far as turbo applications are concerned)

Originally Posted By: wemay
Mobil 1 ESP x2 0w-20 still has an HTHS of 2.6, not 3.5...(that number is a deal breaker for many Bitogers, as far as turbo applications are concerned)

Right, but this VW 508.00 spec is a low HT/HS viscosity spec. Quite a departure from earlier VW specs.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Right, but this VW 508.00 spec is a low HT/HS viscosity spec. Quite a departure from earlier VW specs.

Quite a departure indeed.

This is the Castrol 508 00 are the specs any better... ? And also the IV means its a group IV oil?

I know it isn't of direct concern in an engine oil, but I don't like seeing a flash point that low in a high temperature application...low ash is probably a good thing in a DIT engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back