2018/19 Accord Sport

I've been looking at a 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 with a 6 speed manual transmission. It's a DI and turbocharged which worries me a bit. Lots of acceleration, well equipped, handles pretty well. The clutch action is very nice.

I'd consider a new 2018 if it's discounted enough.The 2019 is apparently almost identical.

Maybe the turbo would make the engine run hot enough to keep the valves clean. I have a 6MT (possibly the same transmission) in my 2007 Accord and after some initial trouble it's been fine.

Any thoughts on the reliability of that vehicle?

I want one, but I will wait a few years and buy one crashed at the salvage auction. I would probably wait another year or 2 also make sure they got everything worked out.

Let the car idle for 30 seconds before shutting it off, use 5w30, and fill up with premium
smile.gif

Thoughts? Go for it. Some of the concerns are likely overstated, and others may have fixes before you get to a point of being problems. Contrary to popular belief, not every turbo DI engine will grenade at 55k miles...

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Let the car idle for 30 seconds before shutting it off, use 5w30, and fill up with premium
smile.gif

I had a 1986 Volvo 740 Turbo where the turbo only had oil cooling. Those turbos were water cooled starting in 1987. That turbo ran red hot on high speed runs in the mountains but it survived 18+ years and 285,000 km in my tender care. I was surprised that I never had any problems with it.

My approach was an oil change every 3 months and letting the turbo cool off before shutting the engine off. I only let it idle if I pulled into a service station right off the highway. Otherwise driving gently for the last couple of blocks seemed to do the trick. But oils are a lot better than they used to be. And, living on the coast, I don't have those really cold starts anymore.

A big problem on those cars at my local dealer is those huge tires and rims. They can barely go on test drives without damaging one. If the cars can't make it off the lot without damaged tires or rims... Dealer is apparently just begging Honda to start supplying a 16", or at worst, a 17" option so they can move inventory without forcing customers into expensive aftermarket or secondary OEM rims.

Yeah I know, Honda's trying to appeal to a perceived fad of large tires, but 19" tires and rims cost a fortune, are very fragile, destroy suspension components relatively quickly, and are quite susceptible to damage.

So basically, definitely calculate how grumpy you'll be when it comes to paying $2000+ for a set of tires... Not to mention earlier than normal suspension work, the more frequent brake jobs, and the hit to fuel efficiency . What might look cute in the showroom isn't at all practical.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNx-mjIKfcI pretty much sums it up. The efficiency gains of the small displacement engine and turbocharger will quickly evaporate once you factor in the incremental tire expense. The fact that the longest tire warranty I could find at Costco.ca for the 19" tires was 50k km's, compared to 80-100k km warranties on more reasonable sized tires tells you a lot about how the larger size is anticipated to wear...

Originally Posted by ecotourist
I've been looking at a 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 with a 6 speed manual transmission. It's a DI and turbocharged which worries me a bit...Any thoughts on the reliability of that vehicle?

My thoughts are - it's a new Honda, with a 7 year unlimited kilometre warranty and 7 years roadside assist (assuming it's the same as Honda's in Oz), so if any issues arise, they'll happen during warranty and be fixed for nothing...so basically, I wouldn't be concerned.

I'm the original owner of my GTI which has 146K miles on it's turbocharged direct injection engine. It has the original turbo. I did clean the intake valves at 82K Miles when the two stage intake manifold died. DO NOT worry about it. The dgi intake valve Depot thing worried me to, but when I took possession in my GTI, I just like driving it a whole lot more than my previous car and got over it. The Accord with the 2.0 and 6 speed manual is a fantastic car you won't regret buying.

Originally Posted by hpb
Originally Posted by ecotourist
I've been looking at a 2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0 with a 6 speed manual transmission. It's a DI and turbocharged which worries me a bit...Any thoughts on the reliability of that vehicle?

My thoughts are - it's a new Honda, with a 7 year unlimited kilometre warranty and 7 years roadside assist (assuming it's the same as Honda's in Oz), so if any issues arise, they'll happen during warranty and be fixed for nothing...so basically, I wouldn't be concerned.

We're not going to get that 7 yr/unlimited Km warranty here in North America. Maybe in Canada but not the U.S. 5 yr max unless the owner purchases and extended warranty.

I have been quite happy with 4 Honda vehicles I have owned. The latest being a 2003 which has been bulletproof. I am not sure that their current vehicles are of the same quality/reliability as the build of the early 1990-2000's. Direct injection and turbocharging are new technologies for Honda. They will have to prove it to me that they have mastered the technology for me to lay down $25-33K on their mastery of the technology. I may be in the minority here, but I would rather wait than chase Honda on engine issues. Turbochargers aren't cheap. Nor do I consider burning 1 quart/1K miles normal in a vehicle with less than 75K miles. Honda currently does.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Thoughts? Go for it. Some of the concerns are likely overstated, and others may have fixes before you get to a point of being problems. Contrary to popular belief, not every turbo DI engine will grenade at 55k miles...

They won't?! That's great news because I thought my only hope for a next car was to get an early Fusion with RT43s on it.

I think the accord with the 2.0 engine and 6 speed transmission is a wonderful combination! If I was in your boat I would buy it. I don't recall Honda having issues with the 2.0 like they are with the 1.5 litre.

I had a new 2015 LX accord with a manual transmission, sold it last year because I needed something to hold the dogs and my newborn son (minivan). The accord was absolutely sublime, engine was a dream and the gearbox was the best manual transmission that I have every driven. My car was the 2.4L so I have no idea how the turbo is in the new ones however I can confidently say that without knowing anything about the new engine, the rest of the car is excellent.

I have an ‘18 sport with the 2.0 and AT. I love the car. Excellent power, good handling, and a lot of features. Yes, tires will be expensive. Probably 1k for one equivalent replacements. I don't drive a ton so it's not a huge concern. If you're worried about wheel damage get a set of winter wheels.

I use 5w30 and run at least mid grade. Mileage has been very strong, with mid 30s highway. Great considering the power the car has. I'd love to tune it and make it really fun, but not too keen on voiding my warranty...yet. I made a great choice. Really enjoy driving the car.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

But Pitzel has a good point. Unless you want a really stiff ride and the likelihood of blowing some 19 inch low profile tires, I'd have the dealer explore swapping the wheels for 17 or 18 inch wheels. Otherwise that 2.0 liter motor is supposed to be sweet.

That 2.0t and 6 spd manual combo will most likely be sweet. Not too many good manual transmission options are available these days in higher trim levels.
I would not be worried about DI and turbo. Worst come to worst, if the oil level rises, you may spiphon out some old oil and top off with fresh, like some of the members here do it with their Civics. But you're an enthusiastic so that should not be a big deal, I know it would not be for me.

The huge wheels would be my concern though. What's the wheel size of the base model? I would try getting my hands on these wheels.

I don't care for the looks of the 10th gen, but they are wonderful cars and wonderful driver's cars.
The Sport trim is the pick of the litter in my opinion.
I love Hondas.

Last edited:
Lots of positives for that combination, but the few UOAs posted here do show quite a bit of fuel dilution (most are from Blackstone, so ignore thier dilution %s and look at viscosity instead). Some of this is inevitable in TGDI engines I guess and maybe Honda has this all figured out, but it it's something that will bother you...

Originally Posted by pitzel
A big problem on those cars at my local dealer is those huge tires and rims. They can barely go on test drives without damaging one.

Thanks Pitzel. I hadn't thought of that. The roads in greater Victoria are better than in Saskatchewan but you can still find a pot hole or curb somewhere if you look for it. They look nice but don't seem very practical.

I have 17" wheels on my current Accord and the BMW and they're plenty big enough. I suppose the '18/'19 comes with summer radials as well. I don't need winter tires here and find high performance all season radials work just fine. We have 1 or maybe 2 slippery days a year and I can just stay home. Come to that, it's not even that slippery.

I'll put that on my check list, "OEM 17" or 18" wheels with high performance all season radials". I expect some buyers of lower models would think 19" wheels would be an attractive upgrade so that might even be a cash back "upgrade".

Does anyone know what oil is specified for that engine? I do my own changes and wouldn't want to get stuck having to buy the oil from the Honda dealer. Being a suspicious sort of guy I suspect they'd just use bulk oil (with a premium price) if changed at the dealership.

Does anyone know if the oil filter is accessible? I couldn't change the oil filter on my Volvo (turbo above and motor mount below so I couldn't see the filter from either above or below and didn't want to change it by feel). That was a big inconvenience and cost with all those 3 monthly oil changes over 18+ years.

I suspect there'll be an access panel to remove to get at the filter and they wouldn't be too keen on me wrenching on the display floor. They even think it's odd when I slide under the engine to have a look - what kind of people buy new cars nowadays!

Back