2018/19 Accord Sport

To answer some of the OPs questions...

The 19s come with all season grand touring tires. Mine has Michelin's on it. The stock 19 inch wheels fetch a lot of money if you resell them. At least near me.

Honda calls for SN rated 0w20. That's their recommendation. I have PPPP 5w30 in mine now to combat any fuel dilution.

I'm a bit small, but I can get to the oil filter without jacking the car up. You have to remove a small protective plate that is secured with quarter turn fasteners. Very easy. I can even get to the drain bolt without jacking it up. I did use an oil extractor with success for my first oil change.

Fairly easy to work on thus far.

Originally Posted by ecotourist
Does anyone know what oil is specified for that engine? I do my own changes and wouldn't want to get stuck having to buy the oil from the Honda dealer. Being a suspicious sort of guy I suspect they'd just use bulk oil (with a premium price) if changed at the dealership.

Does anyone know if the oil filter is accessible? I couldn't change the oil filter on my Volvo (turbo above and motor mount below so I couldn't see the filter from either above or below and didn't want to change it by feel). That was a big inconvenience and cost with all those 3 monthly oil changes over 18+ years.

I suspect there'll be an access panel to remove to get at the filter and they wouldn't be too keen on me wrenching on the display floor. They even think it's odd when I slide under the engine to have a look - what kind of people buy new cars nowadays!

Any major brand of SN+ d1G2 oil that meets the specs in the owners manual will run fine. You don't need Honda oil.

As for oil change access I'm sure there are videos on YT and discussions on the Honda forums.

Originally Posted by Maxima97
Get a Civic Si 1.5T 6MT. big enough and much fun to drive. Accord is too big.

This upcoming car is intended for long distance cruising, and as I live in a semi rural area, a larger car isn't a problem size wise. The car after that will be small and probably all electric.

While I do like the car, the Civic SI has too many "boy racer" design features for me. I'd be interested if they sold a "sleeper version".

While I do like the car, the Civic SI has too many "boy racer" design features for me. I'd be interested if they sold a "sleeper version".

The Civic SI is pretty tame in comparison to the Type R version which is very boy racer in appearance. That model comes standard with the shopping cart handle wing on the rear.

Thanks BTLewis81 and PimTac. Lots of useful information.

BTLewis81 did you sell your 19" wheels? Any problem with fit over the brakes, offset or anything like that? How do you like the car so far?

I use ramps with an extension to do oil changes so it should be fairly easy to work underneath.

I suppose they're trying to get you to use a "synthetic"oil by specifying a 0W oil. I have a good supply of Syntec 5W-20 on hand which should meet the spirit of their recommendation. And it would never have a cold start so the additional flow at colder temperatures of 0W oil wouldn't be needed.

I just watched this video real quickly.

https://youtu.be/n388uld1P_o

It looks like there are two small aluminum shields that have to come off. Not too hard.

I understand where you are coming from. I do my own oil changes so I researched via YT and forums to find out how easy it was going to be. I'm no spring chicken anymore so the less the complications the better. This Honda Accord looks very simple.

I have a 2018 Touring with the 1.5T/CVT combo (they discontinued the Touring 1.5 for 2019). I have the huge 19" wheels and they those things weigh a ton. I had the same car as a loaner with 17" wheels on it for a couple weeks while I had some paint issues addressed by the dealer and wow, what a difference. Same 1.5/CVT setup but it was much zippier not having to turn those big 19" wheels. The Touring with the 1.5 and 19" wheels is rated 3mpg less on the highway, which has to be attributable to those heavy wheels.

I will eventually offload those 19" and step down to 18". All in all, I love the car. Gas mileage has been great regardless. 32.5 in the city, my commute is entirely stop and go. 35-36 on the highway. I think that's phenomenal considering the weight/size of the car and the wheels. Far better mileage than the ATS I traded in for this Accord.

As far as oil goes, while my levels have not risen, the smell of fuel is strong. I will be stepping up to a 5w30 when I dump the FF.

Last edited:
The Si is not a racing car. It is a daily driving car with sport inspire. I like the racing seats, active damping, 6MT standard gear box, 1.5T is powerful enough and style. If I want a hwy cruiser, I would choose a Toyota Camry, much quiet and smooth.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
The Civic SI is pretty tame in comparison to the Type R version which is very boy racer in appearance. That model comes standard with the shopping cart handle wing on the rear.

The Type R may be the version I saw. Too "boy racer" for me. And not available without the wing either. I asked.

The LX and EX-L both have 17" wheels with P225/50 R17 94V all season radial tires.
The Sport and Touring both have 19" wheels with P235/40 R19 96V all season radial tires.

The EX-L wheels look very nice, actually quite similar to the Sport wheels.

Does anyone know the width of those wheels? I've looked around a bit and haven't found those measurements anywhere. Does anyone know what the door sticker on the Sport specifies for tires? The dealership is 30 miles away so it's not that easy to just go and look.

Most importantly, do you think I'd have problems having P225/50 R17 94V tires put on the car in future?

Originally Posted by pitzel
A big problem on those cars at my local dealer is those huge tires and rims. They can barely go on test drives without damaging one. If the cars can't make it off the lot without damaged tires or rims... Dealer is apparently just begging Honda to start supplying a 16", or at worst, a 17" option so they can move inventory without forcing customers into expensive aftermarket or secondary OEM rims.

Yeah I know, Honda's trying to appeal to a perceived fad of large tires, but 19" tires and rims cost a fortune, are very fragile, destroy suspension components relatively quickly, and are quite susceptible to damage.

So basically, definitely calculate how grumpy you'll be when it comes to paying $2000+ for a set of tires... Not to mention earlier than normal suspension work, the more frequent brake jobs, and the hit to fuel efficiency . What might look cute in the showroom isn't at all practical.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNx-mjIKfcI pretty much sums it up. The efficiency gains of the small displacement engine and turbocharger will quickly evaporate once you factor in the incremental tire expense. The fact that the longest tire warranty I could find at Costco.ca for the 19" tires was 50k km's, compared to 80-100k km warranties on more reasonable sized tires tells you a lot about how the larger size is anticipated to wear...

Don't know that I've read of this being worse on this car than others - perhaps in Saskatoon the roads are kept worse?

But I do wish the 19" wheels with tiny rotor fad would die. Don't know if it's still true, but I recall reading that handling improvements increased until around 17-18" wheels, then the benefit was marginal. Certainly for an Accord it won't matter.

Don't you more or less have to run snow tires up there?

Why the need for 19 inch wheels on such a low performance vehicle ?

19 inch wheels on an AMG Benz, Yes.
19 inch wheels for an Accord or Camry, NO.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Why the need for 19 inch wheels on such a low performance vehicle ?

19 inch wheels on an AMG Benz, Yes.
19 inch wheels for an Accord or Camry, NO.

01.gif

Thanks BTLewis81 and PimTac. Lots of useful information.

BTLewis81 did you sell your 19" wheels? Any problem with fit over the brakes, offset or anything like that? How do you like the car so far?

I use ramps with an extension to do oil changes so it should be fairly easy to work underneath.

I suppose they're trying to get you to use a "synthetic"oil by specifying a 0W oil. I have a good supply of Syntec 5W-20 on hand which should meet the spirit of their recommendation. And it would never have a cold start so the additional flow at colder temperatures of 0W oil wouldn't be needed.

I love the car. It's a blast to drive when you want it to be, a good cruiser when you need it to be. I still have my 19s. They are fine for my driving habits. 17 is the smallest you can go with and clear the calipers.

For those saying there is no need for the large wheels, maybe not this large, but this is a capable car, not a 150 hp commuter. It handles very well.

Either way, easy to fit 17s from an exl.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Don't know that I've read of this being worse on this car than others - perhaps in Saskatoon the roads are kept worse?

But I do wish the 19" wheels with tiny rotor fad would die. Don't know if it's still true, but I recall reading that handling improvements increased until around 17-18" wheels, then the benefit was marginal. Certainly for an Accord it won't matter.

Don't you more or less have to run snow tires up there?

I now live in coastal BC. Winters here are quite mild - something like San Francisco, Portland or Seattle. We might get snow once or twice a winter but it's generally gone by 10:00 am the next morning. I'm retired so if it was really bad I'd just stay home. So we don't really need snow tires. The ground never freezes here so the snow melts really fast, often as it falls. And because the ground never freezes the roads stay in pretty good shape. On the prairies, there are constant problems with pot holes, due to water getting into pavement cracks, then freezing and thawing. It's really bad in the spring. I'm just glad I didn't have to maintain those roads.

What you say about handling improvements and wheel size makes a lot of sense. At some point the weight of the wheels becomes counter productive.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
I love the car. It's a blast to drive when you want it to be, a good cruiser when you need it to be. I still have my 19s. They are fine for my driving habits. 17 is the smallest you can go with and clear the calipers.

For those saying there is no need for the large wheels, maybe not this large, but this is a capable car, not a 150 hp commuter. It handles very well.

Either way, easy to fit 17s from an exl.

I test drove the Accord back to back with a Camry hybrid. The Camry is pretty nice on the freeway but the Accord blows it away everywhere else. It's quite a powerful car and it handles pretty well.

As someone noted there aren't many cars with manual transmissions any more and that's one of my most important features. I don't want a VW product (really like the cars but don't want to deal with the dealers), the Mazda 6 no longer comes with a manual transmission, even BMWs are hard to find with a manual transmission. So there's not a lot of choice. I suppose I could look at a Porsche but they're a bit expensive and maybe not the best for really long highway trips - like 3000 km (about 1900 miles) in 3 days.

Originally Posted by hpb
My thoughts are - it's a new Honda, with a 7 year unlimited kilometre warranty and 7 years roadside assist (assuming it's the same as Honda's in Oz), so if any issues arise, they'll happen during warranty and be fixed for nothing...so basically, I wouldn't be concerned.
The warranty isn't nearly as good in Canada, looks like 5 years and 100,000 km on the power train and 3 years and 60,000 km on most of the rest (their wording is a bit obscure).

With my current Accord I really needed the warranty the first year (transmission replaced for jumping out of first and second gear) but nothing (literally nothing) after that.

There's been maintenance but as for repair costs in 11 years: a rear caliper froze up leading to replacement of both rear brake discs and pads, and the little hose from the radiator to the overflow started leaking - and cost about $5 to replace - and that's it.

Well, ok, it's not 7years, but still 5 years/100,000km is decent...point being, if something is gonna go wrong, it's usually early on, as per your current Accord. So I wouldn't be concerned about reliability AT ALL. If you like it - buy it!

Off topic - My inner cynic can't help but think the excellent warranty we get here is to try and buy a few sales - Honda (cars) aren't fantastic sellers, they generally sit about number 11 or 12 in total sales per year.

Resurrection...

In case others search for this topic I thought I would share our experience with our 2018 Accord Sport 2.0 10AT.

81k Miles so far
On second set of tires replaced the OE tires at 55k. The Yoko replacements handle better and are wearing better as well.
Run regular octane unleaded
Average 33 MPG all around and 37 highway (75-80 mph)
2 dealer visits so far: Hood fluttering (they can't/won't fix) and right front bearing died (wife hit curb)
19 inch wheels are round but curbed (see above comment). She hits everything with these wheels. Get tires with rim protectors.
OCI has been 4-6k using Mobile 1 0w-20
Had trans flushed and replaced fluid at 72k, Car had started to shift abruptly once in a while. This solved it. It is a Honda AT.

Car runs great. It is faster than you probably think (much). Not impressed with the standard stereo sound. It does the job. The "avionics" are very good. Car Play works great.

We plan to keep this car for AT LEAST 200k miles. For us that will be about 7.5 years. TBH, if it still running great we will keep it longer.

We own a 2017 Mini Cooper 6/manual and a 2019 Sahara Wrangler too so we have all our bases covered I think. :LOL:

The next car will be electric but not soon.

Back