2017 Subaru 2.5 0w20 oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using Subaru's 0w20 synthetic oil in my 2017 Outback. The oil has been changed 3 times in about 9,000 miles at my request. I now plan to do my own oil changes in a couple of months.

I plan to use Subarus filter. As this is my first Subaru and not sure what oil to use. I am sure there are plenty of good oils, just not sure what owners like.

I also would like some Idea who makes Subaru's brand of oil. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Last edited:
Any of the top quality 0-20 synthetic oils. I prefer M1 0-20 and have used it for several years in three different Ford 4 cyl engines.

+1
M1 AFE 0W-20 will be going in our '17 Subaru Forester along with a Fram Ultra when I drain the FF sometime in November.
I think that the newer Accord will get this oil and filter as well.

Lot's of Subaru experience here; currently driving our 8th for the family. I've run Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, and Valvoline Synpower/NAPA Syn in multiple Subaru 2.5's calling for 0W-20. Of the three, I've preferred the Valvoline products in the Subie. M1 seemed to me to be the loudest based on the official "seat of the pants" monitoring. In truth you are not going to go wrong with any quality syn in 0w-20 flavor. I haven't had the chance to try Castrol Magnatec as it is hard to find in my area in the correct weight. BTW Subaru oil is an Idemitsu product and would be a fine choice as well.

I have only used Wix 57055 filters on the Subaru's I've owned. It's Wix quality spec'd correctly for the higher Subaru bypass pressures. I'm sticking with Wix for filters until there's some reason not to.

Good luck with your decisions.

Last edited:
The 6k factory OCI is really conservative for these motors. I'd move mine to 10k if it didn't have a 100k warranty. I posted a UOA a while back if you want to search my posts. Will be posting another in 30-60 days with M1 0-30 AFE, $2 AZ sale.

Thanks, everyone, I may use Valvoline. Very easy to get here in Lexington, KY, Valvoline's World Headquarters.

Any oil not to use?

Can't think of any name brand oil to specifically avoid. They will all perform well. But as mentioned, do keep an eye on the oil level, some like to drink it.

My wife's '14 2.5L Forester had oil change interval set to 7k miles from factory, so it's had that it's whole life, now at 75k miles. Always factory filters because warranty and because bypass pressure.

Ran the 0w20 idemitsu for the first few changes, it would drink about a quart in 7k, then started using the BMW 0w20 and it used only a half quart. Last oci I mixed in one quart BMW 5w30 (LL01) and it has yet to burn a drop in 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: Seventh
Can't think of any name brand oil to specifically avoid. They will all perform well. But as mentioned, do keep an eye on the oil level, some like to drink it.

My wife's '14 2.5L Forester had oil change interval set to 7k miles from factory, so it's had that it's whole life, now at 75k miles. Always factory filters because warranty and because bypass pressure.

Ran the 0w20 idemitsu for the first few changes, it would drink about a quart in 7k, then started using the BMW 0w20 and it used only a half quart. Last oci I mixed in one quart BMW 5w30 (LL01) and it has yet to burn a drop in 5k miles.

I can’t imagine any 0W-20 having problems with only a 6k interval.

Never heard of a 7k Subaru interval. The interval prior to 6k was 7.5k.

I used to get hung up the higher bypass of the Subaru filters. Besides, Subaru can’t deny a claim for using a filter other than theirs.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Seventh

I can’t imagine any 0W-20 having problems with only a 6k interval.

Never heard of a 7k Subaru interval. The interval prior to 6k was 7.5k.

I used to get hung up the higher bypass of the Subaru filters. Besides, Subaru can’t deny a claim for using a filter other than theirs.

Yeah it seems like all the newer cars are 6k. Ours was set to 7k when we bought it new, and reset to 7k after the two free changes we got from the dealer, so I've just stayed with that.

You can set the service interval to any mileage number you choose, or even by date, which is really great. However you can only change the mileage by the thousands, not hundreds. So you can't set 7.5k mileage interval, only 6k, 7k, 8, etc. So perhaps that's why?

And I do have a weird thing about using factory oil filters. Every vehicle I service and have ever owned. I'm trying to get over it haha. I did recently get a fleetguard stratapore for my 24 year old ford diesel... we'll see if I chicken out last minute and grab the FL1995
lol.gif

We have a '13 Outback with the 2.5 engine. We used M1 0w-20 and a Subaru oil filter with a 7.5K OCI during the 60K warranty period. Now that the warranty is over, we use M1EP 0w-20 with a 12K OCI with a Fram ultra filter. The engine burns about 1Q of oil every 4-5K miles, and we top it off with M1 0w-20.

Bypass pressure can be complicated since it has to do with flow through the filter media. The Fram ultra has better flow characteristics than the Subaru filter so the bypass valve is unlikely to open even at high RPMs.

Subaru has ridiculously conservative maintenance recommendations, such as changing the iridium plugs every 60K when every other manufacturer recommends 100-110K.

Thanks, I am learning a lot about Subaru Oil and filters. BTW, I have a 7/70 zero deductible Subaru Gold Added Security Plan. We wanted to make sure all the electronics such as Navigation and Eyesight safety systems are covered.

Does anyone use any oil additves?

Last edited:
I'd stay away from additives, and surely Subaru warns against them, too. There's nothing a fully formulated oil needs to have added to it. And if the engine needs something that's not in the oil, then the OEM clearly made the wrong specification.
wink.gif

I have a '16 Forester with a 2.5. I've used many of the oils previously listed. TBH they all performed fine. No difference in gas mileage either. I stay with the Subaru filter as it has the correct bypass value. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know but I don't want to take a chance.

Originally Posted By: Button
Watch the oil level, all my Subarus have used some.

+1 to this.

I have been using Mobil 1, Advanced Fuel Economy from Costco until now. Got Miles 0w-20 for next 2 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
I also would like some Idea who makes Subaru's brand of oil. Appreciate any help you can offer.

Manufactured by Idemitsu Lubricants America Corporation of Jefferson, IN.

(my apologies to sopususer who I now see provided this info in an earlier post)

Last edited:
I just picked up 5 qts of Amsoil SS for my '17 Outback 2.5. I keep reading good things about it. It's pricey, but if it's worth it I'll keep on using. I am NOT, however, going to go 15k before changing. I like 5k. I plan to send a used sample of the Mobil 1 that's in there now to Blacksrone, then a sample of the Amsoil in after 5k on it. I added a bottle of Ceratec at the last change, so I'm looking forward to the UOA.

I just ordered a brace of Wix 57055 oil filters. The bypass is 27psi per their specs. I can't find what the bypass pressure is on the Mobil 1 m1-110a I've been using.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back