2017 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 Hot Cold thermostat

so I recently purchased a 2017 Mercedes Benz CLA 250 its still under warranty . However the hot/cold gauge is really throwing me off. I got a full inspection and it needed coolant and I noticed when driving the car the gauge seems to be high, I was able to get the thermostat replaced and its doing the same thing, is this normal? i talked to a few mechanics and they said that's just how Mercedes thermostat run a little higher, please advise
mbenz.jpg

A lot of oil pressure gauges are just oil pressure "idiot lights" per se. They're always registering in the same position, no matter the actual oil pressure. Probably just there for "looks".

The red marks on the gauge indicate overheating. Anything between H and C is acceptable and can vary based on the outside temperature, engine load, vehicle speed, etc. If you were driving in Death Valley when it's 120°F, it may be closer to the H.

From my experience with my MIL's old A180d, the gauge is a 'dummy' gauge and should just sit in the dead centre at all times.

I'd get it plugged in and see exactly what temperature the ECU is reporting.

Best thing you can do is get actual OBD data and compare it to the t-stat temperature.

This is why we can't have "real" gauges anymore, people complaining that something's off, even while in the normal range.
Well I am a women don’t know crap about cars and my first Mercedes so what’s normal for this car or another car beats me that’s why I asked

The red marks on the gauge indicate overheating. Anything between H and C is acceptable and can vary based on the outside temperature, engine load, vehicle speed, etc. If you were driving in Death Valley when it's 120°F, it may be closer to the H.
Thank you that makes sense

Well I am a women don’t know crap about cars and my first Mercedes so what’s normal for this car or another car beats me that’s why I asked
Most Mercedes I've seen have the pointer a little above the mid point on the gauge in normal driving. Just a Mercedes thing. Unless it gets above the 3/4 point, I wouldn't worry about it.

As long as the gauge doesn’t enter the red zone, you’re OK but IME with Toyotas, if it’s in the upper scale it’s also cause for concern.

On older Mercedes, the temp gauge was marked off in degrees Celsius, as long as it hovered between 80*C and the mark before 120, you’re OK.

Keep in mind, your CLA250 has a small, turbocharged engine that tends to run a little hot.

The temperature gauge in modern cars is controlled by the engine computer. That is, the the temperature sensor's data stream is sent to the engine computer which then sets the needle accordingly.

Most Mercedes I've seen have the pointer a little above the mid point on the gauge in normal driving. Just a Mercedes thing. Unless it gets above the 3/4 point, I wouldn't worry about it.
Awesome thank u

From my experience with my MIL's old A180d, the gauge is a 'dummy' gauge and should just sit in the dead centre at all times.

I'd get it plugged in and see exactly what temperature the ECU is reporting.
None of my Mercedes have a dummy temperature gauge. They’re accurate.

The reading varies with outside temperature and engine load. Right now, as Mrs. Astro drives, the SL is showing 85C. Just above half way.

I wouldn’t be worried until it exceeded 100C, about the 3/4 mark on the gauge.

For the OP, that looks fine for a real gauge showing real temperature.

Back