2017 Hyundai Sonata - Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the owners manual recommend? Proper speced oil is oil. The 0W-30 AFE is a great oil.

For the most part I agree with Wemay, however, your winters are pretty much the same as mine: avg temp around freezing with the odd low at or just below -18C. With that you could easily use a 10W30 conventional/semi syn oil (VI < 120). If so, consider one with the lower MRV.

QSGB: 18,900
PYB: 23,000
MS5K: 17,000
MSHM: 14,300

Originally Posted By: ralphkaz
Thank you for all for the quick feedback!

No issues with burning oil so far :)

Walmart has 5qt jugs of Mobil1 for $22.88 and there is a $12 rebate right now so will grab a few of those for starters & probably go with either M1 or the OEM filters that knerml recommended.

Question - I know Quaker is also recommended - any issues with switching back and forth between Mobil1, Quaker or other 5w20 full synthetics in the future (plan to just buy whatever is on sale...)?

Cheers!

I hope not, since that is what I plan to do with my Elantra. I had 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum to use up when a Lexus was sold. My Elantra is performing well with it, but may go back to 5w-20 when I need to buy more oil. I am using OEM filters. Engine is super quiet at idle and very smooth on highway.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Engine is super quiet at idle and very smooth on highway.

While running with 5W-20 or 5W-30 ?

Question - I know Quaker is also recommended - any issues with switching back and forth between Mobil1, Quaker or other 5w20 full synthetics in the future (plan to just buy whatever is on sale...)?

Cheers!

Whether or not changing brands/types amounts to a hill of beans is up for debate. I prefer to keep a similar chemistry that may have a less adverse effect on any existing AW film.

My Son has a 5 year old Sonata that has nothing but conventional oil in it, with factory recommended OCIs. It has almost 100,000 miles on it with ZERO ISSUES.

My 11 Sonata specs THREE different oil grades in the book.

5w20 is recommended, but 5w30 or 10w30 may be used.

I have used 5w30 and 10w30 with excellent results. Also no difference in fuel economy.

My owners manual calls for 3 different oils as the seasons change

I have an 04 Sonata with 282,000 on the clock on a steady diet of 5W30 QSGB and Citgo Supergard and wix filters 4=5 k OCI'''s

done nothing but timing belts and a set of injectors to the motor , plugs and wires every 100k

uses no oil between changes

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Interesting but first tell us doesn't your Sonata burn oil like all the other Hyundai horror stories I've been reading on here lately?

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Wife has same engine in her Hyundai. Recommend Quaker State Synthetic 5W20.

Yes I could agree with that and its still just $20.24 at Wally World shipped.

I have a '12 Kia Optima SX with the 2.0T and 63K miles. Never burned/used oil, never leaked oil, runs like a scalded dog (I have a tune). I've run M1 0W-40 oil most of the five years I've owned the car with only recently switching to Castrol Edge 0W-40 oil due to my fuel dilution concerns with the TGDI engines. OCI is ~4K miles by choice (OEM is 5K miles). I now use Fram Ultra filters.

This 100% !!! ... I have a new 2017 Sonata LTD. as well with same driving pattern as you (2.4L non-turbo)- best choices would be Mobil 1 , Castrol Edge 5W20 (winter) same synthetic oil brands except 5W30 / 10W30 (summer) . Pennzoil and Quaker State are thinner in both grades which is why the advice here to use a thicker within grade oil is wise (fuel dilution) . I use Fram Ultra XG9688 and keep my OCI's to 5K miles max . To change oil you will need to remove the 10mm bolts (several of them) holding the splash guard on underneath the passenger side of the car. Once removed you will have access to the oil filter and the oil drain plug (17mm) ... Your should be good to go now !!
Originally Posted By: Danh
If you look at your owner's manual you should see that, while 5w-20 is on the filler cap, 5w-30 and 10w-30 are also allowed. As your Hyundai has direct fuel injection that in turn contributes to fuel dilution and lowered viscosity, 5w-30 may be the best choice. If you park outdoors, you may want to use 5w-20 during the cold weather months.

As far as brand, all major oils are really good so this choice isn't so important. But if you go with 5w-20 choose one on the "thicker" side, so as to compensate a bit for fuel dilution. You can research product data sheets, but as examples Mobil and Castrol products tend to be on the higher-viscosity side.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
Engine is super quiet at idle and very smooth on highway.

While running with 5W-20 or 5W-30 ?

Actually, both. With 5w-30 is a little better. No mileage difference. But it is apples to oranges. Valvoline conventional which is a synthetic blend vs Pennzoil synthetic. It could be the add pack for all I know. The Valvoline was better than the Factory Fill. Thought they flashed the engine and transmission. It was that noticeable. Need more OCI's to get better data.

I would go 5w-30. The ThetaII engines dilute fuel like its their job. These engines run smoother ,quieter and longer with a 30 weight oil. I really think syn should be a requirement , these engines will get gunked up really fast. Going past 4k on conventional in this engine is not something that should be done. On campaign SC147 (engine recall) KIA states to top of with 5w-30 to conduct the testing of the engine. After engine testing pass result to change oil filter and replace with 5w-30. If the OEM is specifying to use 5w-30 , there must be a reason.

That recall is for vehicle model years 2011-14, depending on model, and for a machining issue vs design flaw.

Originally Posted By: willbur

Simple- RTFM

What you do not realize is that the hyundai manual lists 5w20,5w30, and 10w30 for his engine. He did read the manual and is asking for advice.

OP i run 5w 30 in my elantra.

Last edited:
Thank you Spasm3 for your valuable comment. However, I don't think Hyundai just lists multiple oil choices and asks you to pick the one you like. These oils are spec'd for the conditions you drive under and the applicable oil is then used. Personally, I would trust Hyundai and their oil recommendations over internet oil experts. This is way overthought. Just saying...

Originally Posted By: willbur
Thank you Spasm3 for your valuable comment. However, I don't think Hyundai just lists multiple oil choices and asks you to pick the one you like. These oils are spec'd for the conditions you drive under and the applicable oil is then used. Personally, I would trust Hyundai and their oil recommendations over internet oil experts. This is way overthought. Just saying...

Perhaps seeing the page from the manual will help.

http://www.hyundaisonatamanual.com/sonata-296-recommended_lubricants_and_capacities.html

Quoting the manual here

"Engine oil viscosity (thickness) has an effect on fuel economy and cold weather operating (engine start and engine oil flowability). Lower viscosity engine oils can provide better fuel economy and cold weather performance, however, higher viscosity engine oils are required for satisfactory lubrication in hot weather. Using oils of any viscosity other than those recommended could result in engine damage."

"*1. For better fuel economy, it is recommended to use the engine oil of a viscosity grade SAE 5W-20 (API SM / ILSAC GF-4). However, if the engine oil is not available in your country, select the proper engine oil using the engine oil viscosity chart."

Here is a chart for a 2014 sonata, i don't have a 2017 chart but its in the link above.

1-23-20149-31-49PM.jpg

So in summary Hyundai lists 5w20, 5w30, and 10w30 that you can chose to run as you see fit.

Last edited:
If it were my car I'd use Supertech 5w20 synthetic and call it a day. If I weren't using a synthetic I would use Supertech conventional 5w20. I can't see a reason to spend more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back