2017 Ford Fusion SE....

I have been keeping an eye out for a potential new (to us) car. I ran across this Fusion today on Autotrader. It is equipped with the 2.5, I wouldn't even consider the turbo models. I am not afraid of turbo cars, we own one. I just know the 1.5T and 1.6T Fords have a reputation.

I have read the Ford 6 speed had some issues early on, but maybe all of that was corrected by the 2017 model year.

I like the looks, and my wife doesn't find it unattractive.

It only has 13,000 miles on it!

I am not a "Ford guy". I am more of a fan of imports for cars, but the price and low miles are making this a possible option.

Are there any reliability concerns with these? I know the 2.5 is a reliable mill, how are the transmissions, infotainment, a/c and other components?

2017 Ford Fusion
b189da70738d5d80ba608fb773604af1_635x475_Q75_V4.jpg

The 2.5L is bulletproof as you already know. I believe the transmissions are proven on these as well. If the price is right and you like the car I’d buy it. They should be very easy to work on as well. I have the same 2.5L in my 2011 Mazda6 with 143K on it and other than regular oil changes and spark plugs the engine has been great. It doesn’t even consume any oil.

Last edited:
If you like it and it is priced right, go for it.
That is a fairly stout platform with a solid drivetrain.

I rent a couple of cars per year. We rented a Fusion Hybrid. Easy to drive; very nice car.
I can't speak to reliability, but I bet with regular service a Fusion would give many years of service.
I believe you could do much worse, especially for $13K. I'd buy it.

I have been keeping an eye out for a potential new (to us) car. I ran across this Fusion today on Autotrader. It is equipped with the 2.5, I wouldn't even consider the turbo models. I am not afraid of turbo cars, we own one. I just know the 1.5T and 1.6T Fords have a reputation.

I have read the Ford 6 speed had some issues early on, but maybe all of that was corrected by the 2017 model year.

I like the looks, and my wife doesn't find it unattractive.

It only has 13,000 miles on it!

I am not a "Ford guy". I am more of a fan of imports for cars, but the price and low miles are making this a possible option.

Are there any reliability concerns with these? I know the 2.5 is a reliable mill, how are the transmissions, infotainment, a/c and other components?

2017 Ford Fusion
View attachment 27203
We have a 2014 with 120k … been a good car …

My boss has a ~2017 Fusion hybrid and he has had to have the touch screen replaced twice. May be something to look into.

That's a solid car for the money. It's got "Ford CPO" stickers on it as well. That'll get you a 7yr 100K powertrain warranty and a 12/12 mostly B to B after the original 3-36 warranty is up. I'd jump on it. I owned that exact car only 2016 and it was problem free at end of my lease and 45K miles

I have a 2016 w/ 2.5L, its a good car, thats actually a really nice one with a 2.5 which is kind of rare, most 2.5's are base trim. I will add, the transmission is very easy to do a drain and fill when you're under there doing an oil change. I change mine every other oil change. Be warned, the rear shocks are terrible, I just replaced mine @ 48k with billstein's and it made a world of difference, the cost was about 20 bucks more than Motorcraft. Took me about 30 minutes to change both rear shocks. Just curious, what is the asking price of that one pictured?

I have the same drive train in my Escape. I now have 83k miles and love the 2.5 engine. I am like you and wanted to stay clear of the Ford turbo engines. With regular maintenance this setup is very reliable.

From what I understand is they’re ok.

Just seems like a step down from your Accord. The design of it all is from 2013.

Although that dealer for $1k more has a Titanium plug in hybrid version.

I have a 16 base escape with 40k miles and the 2.5L engine.

Not a refined power train but gets me from A-B without issue. Delivers 25mpg in the little SUV, probably more in the fusion.

Trans is a little clunky shifting notchy, motor is not super quiet but has been reliable so far.

Cheap to insure, sips regular fuel, no turbos.

that sounds like a sweet deal; however, i'm not keen on loaded Ford models; Im not sure how its going to age from a realibilty stand-point

just for comparison, I paid for my 17 Accord, in the signature $21.9K OTD with 19.5K miles on it in May

my Accord off the lot was $31.5 MSRP back in 2017

Last edited:
I am reading horror stories now on 2017 Fusions that have a battery drain problem. It seems most are affected. Something about an audio module that drains the battery quickly. I can't find anywhere where Ford has released a permanent fix. Can anyone confirm?

a friend of mine got Fusion basic model in 2014; currently with 35K miles on it, other that fuel pump he hid not change anything else; however, he got a recall for loosen steering wheel nut and the seat belt retractor, yet he still has the original battery in the car so go figure; He lives in NJ though

a friend of mine got Fusion basic model in 2014; currently with 35K miles on it, other that fuel pump he hid not change anything else; however, he got a recall for loosen steering wheel nut and the seat belt retractor, yet he still has the original battery in the car so go figure; He lives in NJ though
That steering wheel bolt change is a quick in/out based on a safety TSB … BD Cardinal might know the specific date range of vehicles …

I am reading horror stories now on 2017 Fusions that have a battery drain problem. It seems most are affected. Something about an audio module that drains the battery quickly. I can't find anywhere where Ford has released a permanent fix. Can anyone confirm?
The escape does silly things like leaves the 12v power charger on all the time, even when the car is powered off. I've gone on vacation for a week and came back to find a phone charger still lit up.
My 2016 is on battery number 3.

Back