Please talk me out of buying a new car...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you really should by a car now...You should buy a Fusion..You can also generally get a good deal on a late model Grand Marquis or Crown Victoria..Believe it or not the 4.6 in those cars are furgal on gas [regular]and can easily go over 200K miles without a problem..I was in Crown Vic taxi last night that had 320K miles on it and it was running just fine and the a/c was nice and cold..Before it was a cab the driver said it was a Miami-Dade patrol car and had 120K miles on it before it went to taxi duty.

I would stay far away from Government Motors and Chrysler.

I've got a new one for Chrysler... Cry-Co. because they are always crying for money. I think it's only fitting if we are calling GM Government Motors...
wink.gif

I found out I qualify for Ford supplier (X-plan) pricing through work, and they have a lot of money sitting on the hoods of 2009 Fusions right now. I found a few at a dealer 70 miles away and I am trying to find out what the out the door price is right now.

I can get GM supplier pricing but the Malibu is the only model that really would interest me to buy new, and I'm not sure I want to spend another decade in one of those.

I've decided (long before this thread) that regardless I won't buy new unless I can get it for a price that's basically comparable to a low-mile used, and a low or no interest rate. I don't want to eat 20-40% on depreciation pulling out of the lot, and then have to pay 8% interest on said depreciation, especially with lots of good late model used cars out there.

Fusions sit in the $18,000-$25,000 range ($18,000 is quite possibly what I might pay with X-plan and incentives for a 2009 4 cylinder SE auto, and I have found some used SEL V6 AWD as low as $20,000 on the sticker), and Allures depending on mileage run $15,000 to $19,000 for year old models. I found one Allure for $18,000 at a local dealer with 7500 miles on it.

I also found out my insurance would only go up about $20 per month, much less than the $75 I figured it would be. It's roughly the same rate on any Big 3 sedan newer than two years old.

$3,000 is not the bulk of my savings, it is just what I would be willing to put down, especially on a loan with no real interest incentive to throw significantly more money down. I am debt-free with good credit (always on time and paid in full since the day I turned 18). I could retire the debt at a faster rate if I chose to.

If I buy new/late model used, it is not going to be something I trade in when I get sick of it, etc. If I buy it now I am keeping it for ten years before considering replacing it, so I want to buy something that will suit my needs that far into the future as well which means a mid or full-sized sedan.

Still undecided though, but worth investigating for future reference either way. I'm not going to pull the trigger until the end of the month at the earliest.

Last edited:
Oh wow, now that I look at Crown Vics I found a 2008 with 18,000 miles for $17,000 on the sticker. The thing I worry about with that is the city fuel economy, I know the highway is stellar but in gridlock it is going to be 20-30% worse than what I am driving now.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Oh wow, now that I look at Crown Vics I found a 2008 with 18,000 miles for $17,000 on the sticker. The thing I worry about with that is the city fuel economy, I know the highway is stellar but in gridlock it is going to be 20-30% worse than what I am driving now.

You should definaltely buy this car..It must have been a rental since only the rental companies/police can get them now...Our entire fleet were former rentals... if it has less then 15K miles its a good deal...The C.V. is next to impossible to find these days.You will probably get a extended warrenty on the C.V. like we did on our entire fleet.

As far as gas mileage goes in all stop and go driving we average around 15 M.P.G....On the highway we average around 25 M.P.G. plus the A/C is on all year long on automatic.

I am going to take a look at that Crown Victoria tomorrow. 16,500 miles, $17,000 on the sticker. Wholesale "high" is $15,361, and if it has $17,000 on it rather than $20,000 I'd imagine the dealer got it fairly cheap at auction. I want to spend between $15,000 and $15,500.

I have an appointment at the bank at 1 pm to go get pre-approved for a loan.

Sparking Hyundai Santa Fe
Amazing Cars Inside and Outside ... I used to not like that brand ... It all changed ... I have Top Version of M3 .. and I would trade it anyday ..

2009 Now From *
$21,995

0% Financing

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MGregoir
I am going to take a look at that Crown Victoria tomorrow. 16,500 miles, $17,000 on the sticker. Wholesale "high" is $15,361, and if it has $17,000 on it rather than $20,000 I'd imagine the dealer got it fairly cheap at auction. I want to spend between $15,000 and $15,500.

I have an appointment at the bank at 1 pm to go get pre-approved for a loan.

Sounds good...Best of luck..That car will have no problem reaching 200K miles..

The best thing is the Crown Victoria,Grand Marquis and Town Car are very low maintenance cars..My last car [99 Grand Marquis] had nothing but regular Ford maintenance for 190K miles.

I just walked away from the dealership that had the one I wanted to look at.

I took it for a test drive, lowballed them and said I was looking for it at roughly what the auction price was. I knew I wouldn't get it for that but I wanted to see what they'd do. The worst they can do is say no.

The $16,995 on the sticker did not include the "anti-theft marking" they wanted to charge $400 for, for some unbeknownst to me reason they decided to put vinyl pinstriping on it. Knowing they likely paid around $14,000 for the car, I figured they could do a little better than not even knocking off the sales tax and still nailing me for the "anti-theft" marking. I didn't think this was an Accord, STi or even a diesel work truck.

I really don't want to spend more than $15,500, so I am kind of deal hunting.

I figure if they paid $14,000 for it, $1500 on it is a pretty good haul for them and it would be a really nice car for the price. They have to make money too, but I know the last purchase my parents made at a local dealer, the dealership basically said tell us what you want for color, mileage, year and options from the auction and we'll sell it to you for what we paid plus $800.

I am probably going to give that sales guy a call and see if he can find what I am looking for, especially as I don't have to leave town to pick it up or plate it, the dealership is only two blocks from where I work.

The car was in nice shape (no dings, scratches, scrapes, anything, absolutely mint) but they all come from the same place, same conditions, same options and same mileage so I will shop it around. They have my number if they change their mind.

Oh, and it does drive exactly like the ones did in 1975 too. Not quite as bad as a hovercraft but not as nimble as say, a flat bottomed river boat.

With a *new* car, there's no fun in fixing the problems of the previous owner. No amazing Auto-RX results. No babying the thing back to health. Its just boring and uninteresting.

And with a used car, many of the OEM parts are half-way, or almost worn out, so its time to replace them with aftermarket performance parts. On a new car, its difficult to justify throwing out brand new parts, voiding one's warranty, etc., etc., just to throw a better suspension, or a performance intake on.

As much as I can't stand automatics, the 3.8/AT4 is very reliable combo.

Around here, manual 5-speed Fusions off-lease go for $12k. 1-2 yrs old.

Come on' down!

Cars are a total waste of money, that is why people read Bob Is The Oil Guy hopeing to find some miracle oil to make their cars last longer than they will ever keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back