2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD - oil filter rec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: webfors
Here's also a TSB that warns against after market oil filters:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rm35ot0wxbxoq8l/oil_filters_requirement.pdf?dl=0

Quote:

"New technologies have increased oil flow rate, resulting in higher engine pressure differentials across the oil filter, requiring oil filters with higher oil filter bypass settings. Oil filters made by different manufacturers may have significantly lower oil filter bypass settings than required by today’s GM engines, resulting in unfiltered oil to the engine bearings, resulting in accelerated bearing wear and potential bearing damage."

I was under the impression that these newer engines with "dual stage oil pumps" (aka: variable flow oil pumps) were actually cutting back the oil flow in order to reduce oil pump work and thereby resulting in a hair more MPGs. But the statement above says oil flow rates have increased.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Quote:

"New technologies have increased oil flow rate, resulting in higher engine pressure differentials across the oil filter, requiring oil filters with higher oil filter bypass settings. Oil filters made by different manufacturers may have significantly lower oil filter bypass settings than required by today’s GM engines, resulting in unfiltered oil to the engine bearings, resulting in accelerated bearing wear and potential bearing damage."

I was under the impression that these newer engines with "dual stage oil pumps" (aka: variable flow oil pumps) were actually cutting back the oil flow in order to reduce oil pump work and thereby resulting in a hair more MPGs. But the statement above says oil flow rates have increased.
21.gif

Interesting isn't it!

I cut open the PF64 that was on my ATS briefly:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/twpjd1nojr5jcvc/AAAM7D38_2pprMmcCCPsWtN_a?dl=0

Well made filter. I'm curious to know the actual bypass spec on this filter and if there is an aftermarket equivalent.

Also add that the PF64 has a top end bypass, vs the XG10060 with a bottom end bypass, and if you're really picky you could argue that a lower bypass spec with a bottom end bypass valve would be the target of that TSB language.

Quote:

21.gif

The way I read the engine specs, the oil pumps output is tracking engine loading. So if the engine is running with a light load, the oil pump will be flowing less oil. Heavy load runs more flow.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
The way I read the engine specs, the oil pumps output is tracking engine loading. So if the engine is running with a light load, the oil pump will be flowing less oil. Heavy load runs more flow.

True that there will be more flow as RPM increases even with a variable flow oil pump. But every SAE paper I've seen on variable flow oil pumps shows that even at higher RPM the pump's volume output is cut back compared to the old fashioned positive displacement oil pumps to cut down on pump HP loss to try and get a hair more MPG out of the engine.

I’m running the same engine & filter. It’s a 2014 Regal with the 2.0T LTG. THIS HAS ME A BIT WORRIED. Big Diff. Between 12 psi & 22 psi. Does using a non oem oil filter void the warranty requirements?

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I’m running the same engine & filter. It’s a 2014 Regal with the 2.0T LTG. THIS HAS ME A BIT WORRIED. Big Diff. Between 12 psi & 22 psi. Does using a non oem oil filter void the warranty requirements?

According to the TSB they issued, it might, if they can link usage of a non-oem filter with whatever issue you are reporting.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst

According to the TSB they issued, it might, if they can link usage of a non-oem filter with whatever issue you are reporting.

I had my first official "free" Cadillac service. The experience went really well. I asked that they not use the PF64 and instead use the UPF64R. They accommodated my request without hesitation. They indicated the UPF64R is the upgraded/premium filter for this application and would have no negative impact on the status of my warranty.

I had my first official "free" Cadillac service. The experience went really well. I asked that they not use the PF64 and instead use the UPF64R. They accommodated my request without hesitation. They indicated the UPF64R is the upgraded/premium filter for this application and would have no negative impact on the status of my warranty.

Cut and post that UPF64R if you get a chance.
grin2.gif

Wix recently started making new filters for most GM applications, including yours.

Rock Auto has the new Wix XP WL10290XP

I asked that they not use the PF64 and instead use the UPF64R.
Good idea. I guess we shouldn't be afraid to use a 32 psi bypass oil filter (UP64R) vs. a 22 psi PF64 one. The more I think about it, going a little higher in bypass pressure shouldn't be an issue.
I've notice the UPF64R has a desired silicone rubber ADBV valve, something the lowly PF64 lacks.
I'll probably get a free oil change this summer on my 2018 1.5L LYX turbo engine, and I'll ask them politely if they will put on a UPF64R for me. Maybe a stronger media (???); needs to be since your old PF64 got a hole in the paper.
48191782d1501790797-ac-delco-pf64-vs-ac-delco-upf64r-cut-open-oil-filter-pics-ec08a3ca-8b9e-436b-a29e-329a7b51fabf_zpse02768cq.jpg

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I asked that they not use the PF64 and instead use the UPF64R.
Good idea. I guess we shouldn't be afraid to use a 32 psi bypass oil filter (UP64R) vs. a 22 psi PF64 one. The more I think about it, going a little higher in bypass pressure shouldn't be an issue.
I've notice the UPF64R has a desired silicone rubber ADBV valve, something the lowly PF64 lacks.
I'll probably get a free oil change this summer on my 2018 1.5L LYX turbo engine, and I'll ask them politely if they will put on a UPF64R for me. Maybe a stronger media (???); needs to be since your old PF64 got a hole in the paper.
48191782d1501790797-ac-delco-pf64-vs-ac-delco-upf64r-cut-open-oil-filter-pics-ec08a3ca-8b9e-436b-a29e-329a7b51fabf_zpse02768cq.jpg

Two holes.
grin.gif

The media on the UPF64R is thicker and designed to handle more pressure... in theory.

Cut and post that UPF64R if you get a chance.
grin2.gif

Absolutely will. Give me a month or so to put some mileage on this oil/filter.

I guess we shouldn't be afraid to use a 32 psi bypass oil filter (UP64R) vs. a 22 psi PF64 one. The more I think about it, going a little higher in bypass pressure shouldn't be an issue.

If GM is using these filters that have a higher bypass valve setting on the engines with "smart oil pumps" then it shouldn't matter much because the way I understand it is the "smart" oil pump is trying to achieve a certain oil pressure (using the pressure sensor) in the main gallery after the oil filter.

But if a filter with a very high bypass setting is used on a traditional PD oil pump, then a filter with too high a bypass valve setting could be detrimental because it causes the engine to get less oil flow when the filter has a high level of delta-p due to being clogged up and/or the use of very thick oil. This would cause less oil to get to the engine compared to a filter with a lower bypass valve setting. A very high filter bypass valve setting is great for preventing bypass events, but it can also cause the oil flow to the engine to be cut back during a bypass event as shown below with a traditional PD oil pump setup.

Examples:

Oil Pump = 90 PSI pressure relief valve at pump outlet

Filter A = 15 PSI bypass valve
Filter B = 22 PSI bypass valve
Filter C = 32 PSI bypass valve

When Filter A hits 15 PSI delta-p, the oil pressure after the filter is 90-15 = 75 PSI.
When Filter B hits 22 PSI delta-p, the oil pressure after the filter is 90-22 = 68 PSI.
When Filter C hits 32 PSI delta-p, the oil pressure after the filter is 90-32 = 58 PSI.

Would having 58 PSI of oil pressure at redline cause any oiling problem? Hard to say.

ZeeOSix, and the case of very cold oil at start-up: Starter turns over, then oil pump turns and its at full-volume, maxed out, waiting for the GM special feedback control signal to tell it to calm down a bit. (They put their pressure sensor way downstream now for this.).... So the oil filter gets hit by high pressure at constant volume flow rate (maxed out) until a few seconds later, maybe popping the bypass open until back-pressure is built-up on the clean side of the oil filter, which should happen in less than a second. .......... Of course it won't pop the filter's bypass valve if it is set high, and the even higher (32 psi UPF64R) means it should be even more rare.

I don't think the higher 32 psi pressure would over-stress the oil pump. No problem there. It's accustomed to much higher backpressure than 32.
If the oil was cold AND the filter partially or fully clogged, then you'd still get the 32 psi valve to pop open and you'd get a lot of oil flow to save your engine in that case.

Oil pumps are positive displacement pumps. This means when oil enters a huge over-sized oil filter (i.e., a PF63E vs. PF64), the pressure across the media and bypass valve is less. Therefore I think an oversized oil filter actually allows one to run a lower bypass valve threshold.
Best way to understand this is to look at a 10 gallon-per-minute GPM flow velocity & pressure in a skinny pipe, and then watching velocity & pressure drop if it transitions to a wide pipe.

GM memo background reference: "Beginning in 2012, the oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump out pressure. This means that the oil pump now does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions."

ZeeOSix, and the case of very cold oil at start-up: Starter turns over, then oil pump turns and its at full-volume, maxed out, waiting for the GM special feedback control signal to tell it to calm down a bit. (They put their pressure sensor way downstream now for this.).... So the oil filter gets hit by high pressure at constant volume flow rate (maxed out) until a few seconds later, maybe popping the bypass open until back-pressure is built-up on the clean side of the oil filter, which should happen in less than a second. .......... Of course it won't pop the filter's bypass valve if it is set high, and the even higher (32 psi UPF64R) means it should be even more rare.

Even with an old fashioned typical (non-"smart") PD oil pump with a spring loaded pressure relief valve, it is "at full volume maxed out" upon start-up until the pressure relief valve kicks in - if it's going to kick in based on circumstances. A PD oil pump is always at "full volume" based at any given PRM (meaning putting everything coming out of the pump into the engine's oiling system at that given RPM) as long as the pump is not in pressure relief. I think even in a "dumb" oil pump setup, there is a small pressure spike upon cold start-up which could open the filter's bypass valve for a second.

Only difference with the "smart feedback pressure control" system used on these GM engines is that the oil pump will be slow to react to the back pressure build-up on the pump which makes the pump start to relieve pressure and flow. So the flow will remain relatively high through the oil filter for a longer period of time. That's basically what you've said above, and GM is basically also saying in their TSB.

One of my arguments about that is on a cold start-up the engine flare-up RPM might be 1500~1700 PRM for a few seconds, which means the volume coming out of the oil pump isn't very much anyway. So GM must be thinking of the absolute worse cold start-up case scenarios.

I don't think the higher 32 psi pressure would over-stress the oil pump. No problem there. It's accustomed to much higher backpressure than 32. If the oil was cold AND the filter partially or fully clogged, then you'd still get the 32 psi valve to pop open and you'd get a lot of oil flow to save your engine in that case.

Yes, nothing really "over stresses" the oil pump. It's designed to operate anywhere up to it's pressure relief point.

In the case of the oil pump pressure relief being controlled by a "feedback pressure sensor" way downstream of the oil filter, then there shouldn't be any oil flow being cut-back from the engine when the pump goes into pressure relief. This is because the PD pump will just keep putting out volume until the pressure in the gallery is met where the sensor is located - thereby making the delta-p across the filter "invisible" to the main oil gallery in the engine.

But as I demonstrated above, if a filter with a very high bypass valve setting was used on a typical PD oil pump that has a spring loaded pressure relief valve, the oil flow volume to the engine will certainly be effected by the time the filter goes into bypass.

Oil pumps are positive displacement pumps. This means when oil enters a huge over-sized oil filter (i.e., a PF63E vs. PF64), the pressure across the media and bypass valve is less. Therefore I think an oversized oil filter actually allows one to run a lower bypass valve threshold.
Best way to understand this is to look at a 10 gallon-per-minute GPM flow velocity & pressure in a skinny pipe, and then watching velocity & pressure drop if it transitions to a wide pipe.

I agree that using an oil filter with more media area (if the same exact media) will help reduce the delta-p across the filter. Also, any filter that has media that flow better with less delta-p will help - ie, full synthetic oil filters.

Even with an old fashioned typical (non-"smart") PD oil pump with a spring loaded pressure relief valve, it is "at full volume maxed out" upon start-up until the pressure relief valve kicks in - if it's going to kick in based on circumstances. A PD oil pump is always at "full volume" based at any given PRM (meaning putting everything coming out of the pump into the engine's oiling system at that given RPM) as long as the pump is not in pressure relief. I think even in a "dumb" oil pump setup, there is a small pressure spike upon cold start-up which could open the filter's bypass valve for a second.

Only difference with the "smart feedback pressure control" system used on these GM engines is that the oil pump will be slow to react to the back pressure build-up on the pump which makes the pump start to relieve pressure and flow. So the flow will remain relatively high through the oil filter for a longer period of time. That's basically what you've said above, and GM is basically also saying in their TSB.

One of my arguments about that is on a cold start-up the engine flare-up RPM might be 1500~1700 PRM for a few seconds, which means the volume coming out of the oil pump isn't very much anyway. So GM must be thinking of the absolute worse cold start-up case scenarios.

I don't think the higher 32 psi pressure would over-stress the oil pump. No problem there. It's accustomed to much higher backpressure than 32. If the oil was cold AND the filter partially or fully clogged, then you'd still get the 32 psi valve to pop open and you'd get a lot of oil flow to save your engine in that case.

Yes, nothing really "over stresses" the oil pump. It's designed to operate anywhere up to it's pressure relief point.

In the case of the oil pump pressure relief being controlled by a "feedback pressure sensor" way downstream of the oil filter, then there shouldn't be any oil flow being cut-back from the engine when the pump goes into pressure relief. This is because the PD pump will just keep putting out volume until the pressure in the gallery is met where the sensor is located - thereby making the delta-p across the filter "invisible" to the main oil gallery in the engine.

But as I demonstrated above, if a filter with a very high bypass valve setting was used on a typical PD oil pump that has a spring loaded pressure relief valve, the oil flow volume to the engine will certainly be effected by the time the filter goes into bypass.

I agree that using an oil filter with more media area (if the same exact media) will help reduce the delta-p across the filter. Also, any filter that has media that flow better with less delta-p will help - ie, full synthetic oil filters.

Sounds like you two just confirmed that my oversized Ultra is a good option
grin.gif

I'm just happy to have a better constructed filter from GM. That being said, the PF64 I got back from them (yes I asked them to return the old filter) had nice even pleats and was in good shape. I'll post the C&P tonight.

Sounds like you two just confirmed that my oversized Ultra is a good option
grin.gif

I'm just happy to have a better constructed filter from GM. That being said, the PF64 I got back from them (yes I asked them to return the old filter) had nice even pleats and was in good shape. I'll post the C&P tonight.

Yep, oversized and free flowing (and efficient) full synthetic media is all good. Push sideways on the media of the PF64 to see if it feels brittle and weak while you're at it.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back